What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

HevyDevy

Coach
Funny thing is, I still can't see us losing the series.

Not at all impressed by the Poms. I'm assuming we just got out truly awful performance out of the way.

Much is dependant on some changes to the bowling attack but if that happens I can see a series win coming.

Line-up should be:
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Lee
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

JJ

Immortal
Funny thing is, I still can't see us losing the series.

Not at all impressed by the Poms. I'm assuming we just got out truly awful performance out of the way.

Much is dependant on some changes to the bowling attack but if that happens I can see a series win coming.

Line-up should be:
Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Lee
Hauritz
Clark
Hilfenhaus

To be honest your side isn't that impressive either - I think the sides are relatively even...

Hughes, Hussey, Lee, Hauritz, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Clark, and Siddle are all either out of form/luck or not terribly good...

As many of us have been saying, test cricket is a lot more even now...

HevyDevy

Coach
Yes but England only have two decent players and both are playing on one leg.

Not impressed by Strauss' innings. Not that it was bad but if ever a player has been gifted a century, that was it. His biggest challenge was trying to get a bat on any of Johnson's deliveries that threatened to actually stay on the pitch.

JJ

Immortal
Yes but England only have two decent players and both are playing on one leg.

Not impressed by Strauss' innings. Not that it was bad but if ever a player has been gifted a century, that was it. His biggest challenge was trying to get a bat on any of Johnson's deliveries that threatened to actually stay on the pitch.

trifle unfair... man for man they match up pretty well...

Strauss > Hughes
Cook < Katich (closer than above though)
Bopara < Ponting
Pieterson >= Clarke
Collingwood > Hussey (on form)
Flintoff > North
Prior < Haddin
Broad > Johnson (on form)
Onions = Siddle
Anderson > Hilfenhaus
Swann > Hauritz

Lee and Clark do little to change that...

HevyDevy

Coach
But you see, you're talking about 'form'.

In form, the Aussies crush them man for man.

More importantly though, Clark is one of the top quicks in the world and would make a HUGE difference.

JJ

Immortal
But you see, you're talking about 'form'.

In form, the Aussies crush them man for man.

More importantly though, Clark is one of the top quicks in the world and would make a HUGE difference.

You mean if they were "in form"?

Not really - depends on what you make of the limited careers of Hughes and Bopara for instance - to me they both look very ordinary

Same with Johnson, Siddle, Lee and Hilfenhaus - none are particularly worrying - I'd sooner have Flintoff, Anderson, Onions, Broad etc... and Clark, well he's not played much - he was one of the better quicks around, but is he still?

Hussey had regressed to where perhaps we all suspected he was - a good test cricketer, not a great...

to me, a combined side would be something like

Strauss (c)
Katich
Ponting
Pieterson
Collingwood/Hussey/Clarke
Haddin
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Nothing yet in evidence to suggest that Clark has the form or fitness to make a difference - and any suggestion that Lee will is based on one spell in a warm up game - previously he has been out of form and injured, and his record in ENgland suggests he'll feed runs just like Johnson has been...

HevyDevy

Coach
You mean if they were "in form"?

Not really - depends on what you make of the limited careers of Hughes and Bopara for instance - to me they both look very ordinary

Same with Johnson, Siddle, Lee and Hilfenhaus - none are particularly worrying - I'd sooner have Flintoff, Anderson, Onions, Broad etc... and Clark, well he's not played much - he was one of the better quicks around, but is he still?

Hussey had regressed to where perhaps we all suspected he was - a good test cricketer, not a great...

to me, a combined side would be something like

Strauss (c)
Katich
Ponting
Pieterson
Haddin
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Nothing yet in evidence to suggest that Clark has the form or fitness to make a difference - and any suggestion that Lee will is based on one spell in a warm up game - previously he has been out of form and injured, and his record in ENgland suggests he'll feed runs just like Johnson has been...

If Lee can land the ball on the pitch he will already be a step ahead of Johnson.

Clark is the man, trust me :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree that Lee is not in form, his warm up game was very good, just what we missed in the two tests.

Fein

First Grade
trifle unfair... man for man they match up pretty well...

Strauss > Hughes
Cook < Katich (closer than above though)
Bopara < Ponting
Pieterson >= Clarke
Collingwood > Hussey (on form)
Flintoff > North
Prior < Haddin
Broad > Johnson (on form)
Onions = Siddle
Anderson > Hilfenhaus
Swann > Hauritz

Lee and Clark do little to change that...

Interesting perspective.

Strauss > Hughes - On current form, just. Won't last long though, Hughes will brain Strauss.
Cook < Katich (closer than above though) - Agreed.
Bopara < Ponting - Different worlds.
Pieterson >= Clarke - No chance, Clarke vastly superior.
Collingwood > Hussey (on form) Agreed.
Flintoff > North - Agreed, different planet.
Prior < Haddin - Agreed although Prior really impresses me - good cricketer and very bright future at Test level.
Broad > Johnson (on form) - Absurd. Johnson at his very worst is better.
Onions = Siddle - Please, Onions runs rings around Siddle.
Anderson > Hilfenhaus - You must be joking now.
Swann > Hauritz - Not much in it but I'm happy with Haurie.

I'd also add Lee and Clark in particular will make a huge difference.

I'm fairly sure Clark was the leading wicket taker in a recent series between Australia and England.

Good luck though old chap, great to see the series set up so well for 5. ;-)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hughes average was around 100 in RSA, so unless nobody rates Steyn and Co, thats pretty good

Then he made tons in County cricket before the ashes

I'd say his form is pretty good.

JJ

Immortal
Hughes average was around 100 in RSA, so unless nobody rates Steyn and Co, thats pretty good

Then he made tons in County cricket before the ashes

I'd say his form is pretty good.

Yep - but you have to admit that a technique like his doesn't inspire confidence...

Lee - had one good performance in a warm-up, and has NEVER gone well in England

I rate Stu Clark very highly - but, he has been out a while, and didn't go exceptionally well in the warm-ups...

At the end of the day, I think the teams are reasonably evenely matched - Aust dominated one match and couldn't quite finish it, ENgland dominated the next and did finish it...

Great series on the cards

El Diablo

Post Whore
rain saved the poms in the first test, sheep f**ker

a whole session was lost

umps gave them victory in the second test

fish eel

Immortal
Yep - but you have to admit that a technique like his doesn't inspire confidence...

Lee - had one good performance in a warm-up, and has NEVER gone well in England

I rate Stu Clark very highly - but, he has been out a while, and didn't go exceptionally well in the warm-ups...

At the end of the day, I think the teams are reasonably evenely matched - Aust dominated one match and couldn't quite finish it, ENgland dominated the next and did finish it...

Great series on the cards

Neither does Chanderpaul's - but it works for him.

Hughes is a great talent but this is a real test for his mettle now, as he has had a dream run in first class and test cricket until now.

JJ

Immortal
Neither does Chanderpaul's - but it works for him.

Hughes is a great talent but this is a real test for his mettle now, as he has had a dream run in first class and test cricket until now.

Nothing wrong with Chanderpaul's technique... his initial stance perhaps, but as the ball's delivered he's pretty much in the right place, and his back foot certainly doesn't head for square leg...

he's a talent - but you'd think that quality quick bowlers having seen a lot of footage of him can work out effective ways of bowling to him - and it looks like Flintoff and Harmison might have... up to Hughes to adapt now, time will tell

Latest posts