What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

Bazal

Post Whore
The ball was swinging alot when it hit him. No way Rudi would have given that for LBW, even if it was close.

It was hitting halfway up middle and leg...regardless if Rudi would have given it or not (which we can't say) it was out and Punter can't complain...

Ridders

Coach
It was hitting halfway up middle and leg...regardless if Rudi would have given it or not (which we can't say) it was out and Punter can't complain...

Not arguing with that, just find it ridiculous he went to the 3rd umpire to check to see if it carried. If he thought it was LBW, surely he would have given it out LBW on the spot and then whether it carried or not would have been inconsequential.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not arguing with that, just find it ridiculous he went to the 3rd umpire to check to see if it carried. If he thought it was LBW, surely he would have given it out LBW on the spot and then whether it carried or not would have been inconsequential.

Oh for sure, it was something of a comedy of errors but even if it was done in a round about way and for the wrong reason, they reached the right result

eddiesmith

Juniors
Rudi gave himself away as he didnt see whether it carried, but it is one of those one which are more common with in close catchers where as an umpire you see it, think it looks plumb but you think there was a nick, the ball carries so you can just give it out knowing its out either way

TheParraboy

Staff member
so if the day ever came, where they played on when it rains, who would it favour? batsman or bowlers?

eddiesmith

Juniors
so if the day ever came, where they played on when it rains, who would it favour? batsman or bowlers?
Would be interesting on a turf pitch, on synthetic it gets difficult with the ball skidding on but the bowlers have trouble controlling it. The more flashy batsmen would struggle and probably see a few more overs from medium pacers who can just bowl stump to stump

Bazal

Post Whore

I think it'd wind up favouring the batsmen a little more...purely because after not too long the ball gets like a cake of wet soap and the bowlers and fielders would struggle to control it

munge

Juniors
I think it'd wind up favouring the batsmen a little more...purely because after not too long the ball gets like a cake of wet soap and the bowlers and fielders would struggle to control it

Yeah they would. In saying that the wicket would just deteriate all throughout the day and become incredibly soft. Not sure how a soft ball goes on a soft wicket though?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
No edge, but really it was just a matter of deciding how he was out...if he edges it he's caught, he didn't but he was still dead in front

I only saw one replay and imho it was clearly missing leg stump. Did they use Hawkeye to see if it was hitting as I was certain it would have missed as it swung down leg for mine.