What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well played Burnsie!!

We needed him to play a good innings and he has, easily his best test knock.

This is batting vs slogging

That's where McCullum let NZ down.
He might have put up a good score but he only lasted 79 balls. Nobody from NZ were at the crease for 100 balls, so far Aus have had Burns face 197 and Smith face 125.

New Zealand being dismissed so early has given Australia lots of time to get runs and potentially build a big lead. Not to mention the way McCullum batted he was very lucky to have not been dismissed earlier.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Looking pretty ominous for the Kiwis now. These two have laid the platform for a very big score. Could be anything with the Don sill to come.

blaza88z

Coach
That's where McCullum let NZ down.
He might have put up a good score but he only lasted 79 balls. Nobody from NZ were at the crease for 100 balls, so far Aus have had Burns face 197 and Smith face 125.

New Zealand being dismissed so early has given Australia lots of time to get runs and potentially build a big lead. Not to mention the way McCullum batted he was very lucky to have not been dismissed earlier.

That is McCullum's problem, whilst people may compare him to David Warner in the way that they both take the game to the opposition, Warner has much more control than McCullum.

He got ridiculously lucky yesterday, credit where it's due he broke a record and did change the flow of the game but to me he would pull that off about one in every 10 innings, which isn't what you need from your captain, you need consistency at this level.

I don't mind the rate they scored at but they should of taken the foot off the pedal towards the end and at least lasted until this morning, we can bat for the next day and a half and still have 2 days to bowl them out, NZ know they have to win this game and played accordingly but gee, they're in a bit of trouble at the moment.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Funny how the Kiwis blamed the pitch in the first test for offering bounce and seam on day one then flattening out after that. Same thing seems to be happening here. Maybe it's not really the pitch.

JJ

Immortal
Funny how the Kiwis blamed the pitch in the first test for offering bounce and seam on day one then flattening out after that. Same thing seems to be happening here. Maybe it's not really the pitch.

Of course it's the pitches - they're drying out very quickly, more quickly than usual - although Feb is when they'll dry out quickest.

Two huge tosses to win, and the bagging of McCullum is laughable - whoever was put in wasn't likely to last the day - his runs give us a chance

vvvrulz

Coach
Fine. McCullum is McCullum and I'm willing to accept that for a second.

The problem is he's a wild card in a team where everyone picks either stonewall or craziness, and there's far too many of the latter. Nobody in our lineup demonstrated what test batting is all about, accumulate runs, see off the good deliveries, put away the bad ones. Hover at a healthy strike rate around 60 and just grind the opposition into the dust.

Look at this - 222/2, hardly broke a sweat and will easily surpass our total unless something spectacular happens. It might be labelled 'boring', but this is how it's done.

Our approach will win some tests but it will never be #1

JJ

Immortal
Fine. McCullum is McCullum and I'm willing to accept that for a second.

The problem is he's a wild card in a team where everyone picks either stonewall or craziness, and there's far too many of the latter. Nobody in our lineup demonstrated what test batting is all about, accumulate runs, see off the good deliveries, put away the bad ones. Hover at a healthy strike rate around 60 and just grind the opposition into the dust.

Look at this - 222/2, hardly broke a sweat and will easily surpass our total unless something spectacular happens. It might be labelled 'boring', but this is how it's done.

Our approach will win some tests but it will never be #1

Yes, but while the Australians don't seem to realise the wicket has changed, I'd hope you could understand that batting on this wicket is much different to yesterday

But yeah, we don't have that professional approach to batting - never give a sucker a break - Anderson batted beautifully yesterday and then from nothing gave his wicket away - that's how we seem to roll

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Of course it's the pitches - they're drying out very quickly, more quickly than usual - although Feb is when they'll dry out quickest.

Two huge tosses to win, and the bagging of McCullum is laughable - whoever was put in wasn't likely to last the day - his runs give us a chance

:lol:

Meapro Ham

Juniors

Right. It's all the pitch's fault. I see. You don't think it might have something to do with the Kiwi bowlers struggling to get over 130?

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure how people can bag McCullum....NZ scored 370 almost solely thanks to his amazing knock. He played naturally, he played some incredible shots and got his side a very respectable total on a reasonably difficult wicket. He was never going to play a Joe Burns innings because he'd get out playing in a way that wasn't natural.

JJ

Immortal
Right. It's all the pitch's fault. I see. You don't think it might have something to do with the Kiwi bowlers struggling to get over 130?

Yeah, I noticed how quick Hazelwood, Siddle and Bird were :sarcasm:

Latest posts