What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The problem with bowling with such an obvious plan to the Smiths and De Villiers of this world. The real freaks of playing an unorthodox shot is they might just be able to take advantage of the field. Im only following on cricinfo but if the overhead smash smith just played was like the shot he played in melbourne it was a shot Bradman played to handle bodyline too

Hutty1986

Immortal
The problem with bowling with such an obvious plan to the Smiths and De Villiers of this world. The real freaks of playing an unorthodox shot is they might just be able to take advantage of the field. Im only following on cricinfo but if the overhead smash smith just played was like the shot he played in melbourne it was a shot Bradman played to handle bodyline too

Wagner to Smith, FOUR, that is an incredible shot. You won't see many of these ones in your whole liftime of cricket watching. Smith has made room, gets a head-high bouncer, and it comes down almost vertically with a straight face, and sends it through mid-off for four. Try imagining that shot

:lol: He is just a freak

Bazal

Post Whore
Surely this match puts an end to any Bancroft for Burns talk for a while at least. Yeah he got out there trying to take advantage of the extra time Smith took, but he's been excellent

mave

Coach
Dissapointing for Burns.
Should have told Smith to fk off and just kept doing what he was doing.

Hutty1986

Immortal
That reminds me of a right-handed version of a shot Gilly made to get to a ton back in 2002.. might have been at the SCG

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its a relatively safe shot to play if the batsman is good enough to play it. Especially if the on side is stacked.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Here is a gif of that overhead smash shot that Smith played. As a kid I used to wonder how Bradman managed to do it in bodyline

http://gfycat.com/DiscreteFreeLadybird

Smithy played it against the Windies this summer chasing declaration runs after Bmac went mental doing it against Sri Lanka.

I expect it to be a common T20 shot soon.

"McSmash" or "McVolley".

Didn't work well for Bradman or McCullum really in tests, but Im sure it will be the big new thing in T20.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It worked ok for Bradman he still averaged over 50 in a series with such a never used before tactic. I dont necessarily think that its a shot that should be busted out every test but Smith is pretty good at playing it and if bowlers want to try and bomb him with bouncers with a stacked on side why not ?

Latest posts