What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Raiders

Meth

Staff member
3- RTS- much improved. Started to feel like he got his mojo back. Great try to seal things.

2- DWZ- even if only for his tackle on Hopoate and his work to put Metcalf over. Did a dumb thing or two, but the balance worked in our favour.

1- Tevaga- great impact and defence. (Could easily have gone to Ale or anyone I gave an HM to for that matter)

HM- Ale, Johnson, Barnett, AFB, Harris

Meth

Staff member
Big list of HM’s aside, we didn’t play well. tbh we don’t really look well coached at the moment

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Big list of HM’s aside, we didn’t play well. tbh we don’t really look well coached at the moment

I still have major qualms about Websterball. If we’d lost I would’ve had the guts to start a thread but as it is I don’t.

Grizzman

Juniors
3 - Sean. Composed throughout and tackled tough. They ran at him all day and I don't recall a miss.
2 - Rocco. He's turning into the centre you don't want to mark up against. Monstered Rapana all night.
1 - AFB. The complete package

HM, Roger, Barnett, Ford, Jazz, Taine. Harris.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
3 - RTS
2 - Rocco
1 - Barnett

plenty of effort and HMs to most others but an understandably nervous performance at times. Good to get the monkey off our back anyway.

Big Marn

Juniors
3 Barnett - slugfest. i feel obliged to give our forwards the most points.
2 AFB
1 DWZ

zero offload game. Not sure how rare this was for us. Kearneyball era maybe there were a few games?

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
3- Barnett. Tough.
2- Berry. I love his attitude and skill
1- AFB. You almost have to give him points because without his go forward we'd be buggered

Early days, but we don't look polished at the moment at all

Meth

Staff member
Generally, I kick off with awarding the 3-2-1 points and in so doing, I ask myself what kind of game it was. Some times it’s pretty clear and so awarding the points is pretty easy. Some times, less so. Last night was the latter.

When we win frustrating games- the kind of games where we are unconvincing or don’t seem to be able to manage to convert territory or opportunities to points- I often place disproportionate credit to the blokes who just got it done. To me, last night, that was RTS and DWZ.

But I actually agree with a lot of the plaudits being given to Barnett. You’re right @Big Marn, it was a slug fest. And so crucial, that battle in the middle. You can always count on AFB to show up, but it was great that he had back up last night.

I enjoyed Ale and Tevaga’s contribution immensely. Their energy and spark off the bench was noticeable.

Johnson was also great, even if we didn’t make the most of the opportunities he created. His kicking, while maybe a little tedious at points, was precise and had Canberra generally starting their sets coming off their line.

Lussick worked hard.

Izz

Bench
3 - Barnett - with AFB playing less minutes than usual after getting hurt, Barnett took on the role of pack leader and owned it

2 - Ale - best game he's had, imo. I semi-bagged him during the week but he played really well, against a large pack, too

1 - Berry - looks like he's having the breakout year i hoped he would

HMs - DWZ, Tuapiki, Jazz (when he controls his aggro he's pretty useful),

Hope AFB is okay. Much less potent when he came back on, imo, possibly due to that injury

SJ played well, as usual, even if he didn't take the line on

I thought Metcalf was okay. I think he was expecting Montoya to cut inside, though should still have taken the tackle when he realized that wasn't happening. But he involved himself more in the second half and that might've ended up being the difference

RTS still making crucial errors once or twice a game but is also looking more and more comfortable each week

Lussick did his job (he ran once from dummy half, btw, but only because Capewell overran him)

Capewell still playing through injury, i think, and did spend quite a bit of the game at centre. Ran an awesome line for AFB's try but also still looks like he's too early a lot of the time. Had real trouble handling Timoko

CHT looks really good at dummy half, imo, even with his mixup with Bunty. Love his defence, as well. Absolutely garbage bunker call that went against him, too.

Thought Ford played well, actually. I can understand why he didn't pass to Metcalf as Metcalf was already almost ahead of him. Thought the penalties and errors called against him were rough.

Thought the ref was awful, both ways. We had him in the Dolphins trial, too, and I remember thinking he was pretty poor in that, too. Bunker was also pretty ordinary.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Thought Ford played well, actually. I can understand why he didn't pass to Metcalf as Metcalf was already almost ahead of him. Thought the penalties and errors called against him were rough.

lol I get that I'm the guy that constantly bags Ford, but he bombed that try as badly as anyone has ever bombed a try.

the play-the-ball penalty against him was a joke.

Meth

Staff member
I hated that.

I also hated Montoya shooting off his wing, creating a big hole to allow Cotric to stroll over.

I also hated Tuaupiki's absolute brain fade.

Geez, there were a few moments to hate in that match.

Meth

Staff member
Reactions: Izz

Rich102

Staff member
3. Barnett.
2. Berry.
1 RTS.

Strange game, Warriors looked in control, scored early then lost their way, Lucky to regather and get the job done.
SJ was a bit down but got through plenty of defence. Metcalf was generally good.
Montoya was all over the place. Are our wingers trained to come inside on defence?
Ale had a breakout game while, I thought, Jazz was still poor. AFB was huge while Harris was solid. Ford did what Fords do; kept going.
Still a win is a win.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I

I also hated Tuaupiki's absolute brain fade.
to be fair on Tuapiki he had to make a play at that, leaving it was risky as hell. About all he could’ve done was try to catch it while sliding feet first and get a foot in to touch first so it was dead.
if he’d let it bounce and it bounced for the Raiders… try.