What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa @ SCG Jan 4-8, 2023

Smug Panther

First Grade
You and I both know CA has an obsession with an all rounder at #6. Hardie is the best we have behind Green. He has a decent FC average @44.5 too.
Green is the first one we've found good enough since a young Steve Waugh. I know they are obsessed but I'll be amazed if he's up to the level needed

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agar and Renshaw

Australia squad for Sydney Test vs South Africa Pat Cummins, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Lance Morris, Matthew Renshaw, Steven Smith, David Warner

Smug Panther

First Grade
Agar and Renshaw

Australia squad for Sydney Test vs South Africa Pat Cummins, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Lance Morris, Matthew Renshaw, Steven Smith, David Warner
Renshaw in please

TheParraboy

Staff member
Renshaw may be cover for Warner. Since Harris is in the squad, Renshaw to play at 6 maybe?

Agar will play IMO, at 6 or at the coverted 8 position

Dont think we go into the test with 2 pacemen only

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who do you have in mind and in what position? Tricky this as all the form batsmen are openers and CA will never drop Warner now from India and Ussie is a lock.

well there are a few but the next in line will come in at 6 even if he's an opener at state level, they won't disrupt the top order imo

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
god I hope it's not Agar the Horrible, he's a better batsman than he is a bowler and we don't need 2 offfies in India, they'll have him for breakfast

not much foresight there

Renshaw to 6 seems the most likely and he has been making runs down the order, then Haze in for Starc

Travitoh

First Grade
If Agar is the second best spinner in Australia then we may as well use Head as the second spin option and pick another batsman.

Green is the first one we've found good enough since a young Steve Waugh. I know they are obsessed but I'll be amazed if he's up to the level needed
Sorry , after some early success as a Test all rounder Tugga's bowling faded pretty fast and he finished his career with a piddling 92 wickets. Green will pass that in a year or two and imo will pass Nugget Miller's 170 before 55 matches. He will murder Nugget's 2958 runs too.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If he gets the correct deck he can turn em unless he has forgotten the art having played so much white ball when only darts are needed.
Actually, the best white ball spinners don't bowl darts. That includes Zampa who is a better white ball bowler and bowler full stop than Agar.

If Agar is picked it will be because of his batting which shows where the mindset of the selectors is.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Sorry , after some early success as a Test all rounder Tugga's bowling faded pretty fast and he finished his career with a piddling 92 wickets. Green will pass that in a year or two and imo will pass Nugget Miller's 170 before 55 matches. He will murder Nugget's 2958 runs too.
Yeah you missed the point