What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations Final - Australia vs England

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Well there it is boys, England wanted another crack so they get the chance next week.

Who will win?

I think Australia will be too good, but it will be alot closer this time around.

morgan123

Juniors
England's pack can be dominant against Australia. With the lineup that played tonight they can also limit the outside backs movement. They can also create enough to score a few tries.

But, we've said that so many times I've lost count. I'd be encouraged if we're within 1 score or ahead at half time, but would it really surprise anyone to see Australia 4 scores up within half an hour?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
England have a chance, they sure do have a chance. But I dont see how England are going to be able force errors out of Australia. I think our kicking game will be too much.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
England's pack can be dominant against Australia. With the lineup that played tonight they can also limit the outside backs movement. They can also create enough to score a few tries.

But, we've said that so many times I've lost count. I'd be encouraged if we're within 1 score or ahead at half time, but would it really surprise anyone to see Australia 4 scores up within half an hour?

England have to score first. If they don't score first their heads will go down and Australia will pounce from there.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
England have a chance, they sure do have a chance. But I dont see how England are going to be able force errors out of Australia. I think our kicking game will be too much.

That's the other problem. England scored 3 tries, one directly off the most embarassing kick misread ever (Goodwin) and the other directly after a spilled bomb that had minimal pressure. It's hard to see Inglis, Slater, Morris etc making these sorts of errors.

England have to find a way to produce points, and I don't mean the "we're down by twenty lets throw it around and hope" points. They need to construct something to worry the Australians.

If they pick Briscoe at fullback though I'll write them off right there and then. Worst fullback I've seen at international level, and the kiwis once played Nigel Vagana there.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Australia were pretty ordinary against France, but they weren't pushed. This will probably hamper them in the opening few minutes of the final if they don't psyque themselves up beforehand. Don't forget that they have now played three halves of ordinary RL on the trot.

Defense out wide is paramount to an English victory after they were carved up in their game against the ozzies. England are capable of winning, and I hope they do, but they certainly have a history of dissappointing. Should be a half decent game and what we could term a sucessful 4 nations debut. I'm looking foward to it
next year with PNG in the mix.

International rugby league is looking slightly up.

roopy

Referee
Australia looked terrible against France and haven't looked much good all tournament.

Australia could click and win easily, but if they don't step up a lot England could snatch a win.

This wasn’t supposed to be the plan my pommy friends. You were supposed to play like that last week, not against us. I wrote them England off after last weeks pathetic fringe defense. I thought Bridge & Fox were excellent and definely shored up their right hand defense. Their world class pack was also awesome.

Now go out their and smash this lacklustre Australian side and get the monkey off your back.

In 1990 I watched my first Aus Vs GB series as a young buck. In game 1 GB pulled off a massive win at Wembley. Game 2 and only the brilliance of Ricky Stuart & Mal Meninga save the Lions from snatching a draw. Game 3 rolls around and GB choke badly. Australia wins easily.

In 1992 I watched with great excitement a Lions tour of Australia. In the first test, Australia smash GB, with the likes of Daley, Langer & Meninga running riot. In game 2, the Lions extract revenge and hammer the Aussies in Melbourne. I vaguely remember Offiah & Schofield playing extremely well in that game. In game 3 GB were always a step behind of Australia. The Lions pushed them, but the Roos were never going to lose even if Offiah scored a late try to bring the scores close. Another missed opportunity for GB.

1992 World Cup Final – The match is close all game until Kevvie Walters puts Steve Renouf over for a try to win the WC in the final few minutes.

1994 and the Kanagroos head over to GB in what would ultimately be the final real Roo Tour. The 94 series follows a similar pattern as the first. GB come out and stun Australia with a victory in the first game at Wembley, this time with only 12 men. Jonathan Davies..what a player. In games 2 & 3 Rick Stuart comes back into the side like he did in 90. The Canberra connection of Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Walters, Clyde & Mullins run riot on the Lions, winning both games comfortably.

1995 World Cup – Australia sends over a B team. England manage to defeat this weakest Kangaroos side ever assembled 20-16 in the first game. Australia B manage to somehow miraculously make the final after an extra time victory over the Kiwis in the semi final. England choke in the final, and Australia B scab a 16-8 win.

In 1997 Super League sends over a considerably stronger Kangaroo side with the likes of Daley, Langer, Ettingshausen, Sailor, Nagas, Tallis, Clyde, S.Walters & Lockyer on board. Australia dominates the first game winning 37-20. I remember Kenny Nagas bagging 3 tries in that game. In game 2 the Lions fight back with a 20-12 victory. In the deciding match, the world’s best player at the time Laurie Daley shows his class by scoring 3 tries and leading the Kangaroos to victory.

1999 Tri Nations – GB choke again and get slaughtered 42-6 in Brisbane by the Kangaroos.

2000 World Cup – Australia easily defeat GB 22-2 in their only meeting of the tournament.

In 2001 Australia cut their tour of GB short due to 9/11. They still played 3 tests Vs GB however. In the first game, it was 90 & 94 all over again with GB pulling off a great victory 20-12. Games 2 & 3…bang, bang. GB chokes again.

2002 Sydney Test Match – LOL

In 2003 no one seemingly wants to go on a Kangaroo Tour with 15 odd players pulling out due to a variety of reasons. Australia sends over a squad which rivalled 95’s for sh*ttiness with players such as Phil Bailey, Hegarty, DeVere, Villasanti, included. An aging Darren Smith makes the test side while playing out of the SL. Michael Crocker plays 5/8. Morley gets sent off in the first game after peforming a coat hanger in the first 5 seconds. GB loses all 3 games in the final 10 minutes. Choke, choke, and choke.

2004 Tri Nations – GB push Australia hard but end up losing 12-8 in their first meeting. In their second encounter, GB stuns Australia with a great 24-12 victory. In the final, the Kangaroos obliterate GB in the first half. Australia ends up winning 44-4. A bad choke by the Lions.

2005 Tri Nations – GB gets dominated by Australia in both games. 20-6 & 26-14. GB pull off a victory against the tournament winners NZ though. So it gives them hope for the following year.

2006 Tri Nations – GB pull off an awesome victory in Sydney, with Sean Long playing particularly well. The Lions end up outclassing the Kangaroos 23-12. In their second meeting, the Lions choke yet again and the Kangaroos dominate 33-10.

2008 World Cup – Smashed to pieces in Melbourne. Ouch. Choke.

And we all saw what happened last week.

I’m still waiting after all these years Poms!!

Don’t let International Rugby League down.

Carpe muthaf*ckin Diem!!!

Last edited:

coach

Australia will win. The scoreline will depend on whether or not Australia has their mind on the job.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
given australias largely inept performances this tournament england definately have a chance.

if it comes down to individual skill australia will blow the poms out the water but i imagine england will be pretty pumped and have momentum after beating the kiwis. austrlia on the other hand still look like they havent trained together...

Shorty

Staff member
It all really depends on Australia and who's prepared to turn up to the game.
England will win if given the chance and growing some balls.

Paullyboy

Coach
Their end-of-season drink up probably. If it hasn't started already. I love league and would love our international game to take off, but come on, is anyone actually taking this tournament seriously? Im sure the players arent, look at their performances.