What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 new signings apparently...

charlie frith

Juniors
We must be getting Ryan at -100k. Allows a bit of cap space for the other 3. Be pretty good news if it's true.
You guys must be kidding. Heighington good buy, Ryan OK but fair dinkum the Rooster and ex-Rooster are duds. Phillip Ronald has so far come up with jack!Once the Dogs, Raiders and Roosters sack their coaches, he'll also end up with signing a dud coach.How is Phil Gould going to be value for Penrith with all of his media commitments?TAlk about clutching straws!

Caged Panther

First Grade
You guys must be kidding. Heighington good buy, Ryan OK but fair dinkum the Rooster and ex-Rooster are duds. Phillip Ronald has so far come up with jack!Once the Dogs, Raiders and Roosters sack their coaches, he'll also end up with signing a dud coach.How is Phil Gould going to be value for Penrith with all of his media commitments?TAlk about clutching straws!

Sorry most Penrith fans would disagree with you just on the basis of a few decisions Gould has made this week. Not to mention the fact his arrival was the catalyst for our useless ex-CEO leaving.

cb4

First Grade
Anthony Tupou departing the Sharks, will depend on how much of his contract you are willing to take.
He is on 375k, and we wont release him a year early unless your taking the majority of it.

Big Mick

Referee

Sort out your own teams shit first.

soc123_au

Staff member

The -100k in my op is minus 100k to clear things up. IMO the other 3 have plenty to offer & improve our roster considerably. Until pen is put to paper it's all fluff anyway.

cb4

First Grade
We'll take $250k imo.

That means you pay $125k. Which is a steal for you imo.

If its anything around that figure, we will keep him for the extra year.
I know another club was interested until we mentioned figures with them.

Big Mick

Referee
If its anything around that figure, we will keep him for the extra year.
I know another club was interested until we mentioned figures with them.

You wont have a choice considering your signings. You can't afford to keep him.

Fibroman

First Grade
Tupou is the best of the lot. Great player. I've always rated him, and I know Gus rates him very highly.

franklin2323

Immortal
I still am of the belief we should release at least one of Burns, Walsh or Kingston.
Well Gus has stated he's after a new 5/8. That would mean 1 of the 3 is gone. As of this stage it would be Burns gone or moved. He could be lock or hooker.

We have a 1/2 not running the ball (he does have a dodgy hammy. So maybe that's part of the problem) & a 5/8 who is just tackles & nothing else. We need more from them.

murraymob

Coach
Well Gus has stated he's after a new 5/8. That would mean 1 of the 3 is gone. As of this stage it would be Burns gone or moved. He could be lock or hooker.

We have a 1/2 not running the ball (he does have a dodgy hammy. So maybe that's part of the problem) & a 5/8 who is just tackles & nothing else. We need more from them.

walsh must have had a dodgy hammy from the time he arrived at penrith .He has never run the ball since he arrived.Gould has noticed

cb4

First Grade
You wont have a choice considering your signings. You can't afford to keep him.

Actually mate, we could announce De Gois and 4 others tomorrow and still keep Toops.
We have about 13 players departing.
I wont be surprised to keep him and continue our signings.

murraymob

Coach
Anasta is no chance of coming he is a latte sipper and will stay there even for a bit less money

Heinington still has 2 years to go of a contract so its also unlikely he is going anywhere

Ryan offers nothing that wingers already at the club can give

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heinington still has 2 years to go of a contract so its also unlikely he is going anywhere
Means jack shit at the Tigers.

Gibbs was signed til 2013 - he extended to 2015 in April - we sent him packing with 4 years to go a month later.

Fifita was signed til 2012.

Ryan and Fulton both had options for 2012 - Club appears as though its refusing to offer those.

McKinnon was signed til 2012 - he's been let go a year early

Moltzen signed til 2012 I believe - looks like he's going to Sharks

Heighington signed til 2014 I think - Talk is strong that he's heading your way.

Lui is also about to leave

And there's another player also looking to leave a year early on their contract too.

Contracts at the Tigers mean sweet f**k all today. Gee its making the team play well too /sarcasm /f**kyoutimsheensyoudopeyoldmerkin

Ryan is a poor mans David Simmons

Big Mick

Referee
Actually mate, we could announce De Gois and 4 others tomorrow and still keep Toops.
We have about 13 players departing.
I wont be surprised to keep him and continue our signings.

I know that you'll be signing De Gois and Mitch Brown, Daniel Vidot & a couple of others...but given their salaries, who you currently have and who you are upgrading you will not have enough to keep toops.

You need a minimum squad of 25 mate....not 17.

De Gois, Fifita, Gibbs etc were not cheap.

And given that you signed Graham, Best, etc on good coin last year...options are increasingly limited.

Having said that, I really like what Cronulla are doing. Getting rid of deadshits like Ben Pomeroy, John Morris etc and actually buying quality players for once.

1. Nathan Gardiner
2. Stuart Mills
3. Matthew Wright
4. Colin Best
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Albert Kelly
7. Chad Townsend
8. Bryce Gibbs
9. Issac De Gois
10. Paul Gallen
11. Andrew Fifita
12. Jeremy Smith
13. Wade Graham

RES:
14. John Morris
15. Mark Tafua
16. Sam Tagataese
17. Jason Bukuya

Not bad....particularly considering you'll likely add Tim Moltzen and maybe Justin Poore.

Then you just need a couple more youngsters to step up and take the other spots.

Building nicely. Still a couple of years away...need guys to mature.

Last edited:

fred95

Juniors
Braith Anasta, Beau Ryan, Anthony Tupou and Chris Heighnington...

2 different sources this has come from today...

Would love to get Heighnington,he and Lewis in back row pushing Plum ip front as 4th front rower would be awesome...

Thoughts?I[/QUOTE I'm not a fan of Ryan but the other three would be tremendous signings for your club.

fred95

Juniors
Anasta is no chance of coming he is a latte sipper and will stay there even for a bit less money

I think you're wrong about Anasta, he is a top five eighth but Carney is younger and classier than Anasta, on top of this the Roosters have to play him in the forwards a position that demands a high work rate in defence and attack which most halves would struggle with. When they bought Carney they initially played him at fullback and perservered for several weeks but you can't select players out of position and expect ultimate performance from them. Heighington and Tupou are both top second rowers,

cb4

First Grade
I know that you'll be signing De Gois and Mitch Brown, Daniel Vidot & a couple of others...but given their salaries, who you currently have and who you are upgrading you will not have enough to keep toops.

You need a minimum squad of 25 mate....not 17.

De Gois, Fifita, Gibbs etc were not cheap.

And given that you signed Graham, Best, etc on good coin last year...options are increasingly limited.

Having said that, I really like what Cronulla are doing. Getting rid of deadshits like Ben Pomeroy, John Morris etc and actually buying quality players for once.

1. Nathan Gardiner
2. Stuart Mills
3. Matthew Wright
4. Colin Best
5. Daniel Vidot
6. Albert Kelly
7. Chad Townsend
8. Bryce Gibbs
9. Issac De Gois
10. Paul Gallen
11. Andrew Fifita
12. Mark Tafua
13. Wade Graham

RES:
14. John Morris
15. Jason Bukuya
16. Sam Tagataese
17. Jon Green

Not bad....particularly considering you'll likely add Tim Moltzen and maybe Justin Poore.

Then you just need a couple more youngsters to step up and take the other spots.

Building nicely. Still a couple of years away...need guys to mature.

Are you taking Jeremy Smith as well.
As for Brown and Vidot, I will be surprised if they are on the books.