What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th CB Series ODI: Mon 26 Jan (AUS DAY) Australia v South Africa @ Adelaide

fish eel

Immortal
Clark in for Siddle, Hilfenhaus or Bollinger replacing the still unfit Lee. Or would you rather three quicks who can't swing it in two series where swing bowling is often the biggest destroyer?

Also, Hopes gets a wicket...

Sorry, Siddle holds his spot ahead of Bollinger and Hilfenhaus IMO.

Bazal

Post Whore
Sorry, Siddle holds his spot ahead of Bollinger and Hilfenhaus IMO.

So you don't want a swing bowler in South Africa and England, where swing bowling is usually the biggest wicket taker? Not having Hilfy or Bollinger would be a huge mistake IMO

eddiesmith

Juniors
So you don't want a swing bowler in South Africa and England, where swing bowling is usually the biggest wicket taker? Not having Hilfy or Bollinger would be a huge mistake IMO
Siddle can swing it if the conditions are right, but wont be smashed if there is no swing like Bollinger and Hilfenhaus

fish eel

Immortal

Just because somebody swings it doesnt mean they will get wickets. ;-)

I'd pick the four bowlers most likely to take 20 wickets. Siddle's record in the last two tests would suggest he would be one of that four. I would be tempted to play no spinner and possibly four seamers.

To that end, I'd have liked to see both Andrew McDonald AND Marcus North playing now giving them more exposure to international cricket. Granted though, if you are playing four seamers, I'd lean towards North at 6 replacing McDonald (who I thought held his own with the ball in Sydney)

eddiesmith

Juniors
Just because somebody swings it doesnt mean they will get wickets. ;-)

I'd pick the four bowlers most likely to take 20 wickets. Siddle's record in the last two tests would suggest he would be one of that four. I would be tempted to play no spinner and possibly four seamers.

To that end, I'd have liked to see both Andrew McDonald AND Marcus North playing now giving them more exposure to international cricket. Granted though, if you are playing four seamers, I'd lean towards North at 6 replacing McDonald (who I thought held his own with the ball in Sydney)

Bryce McGain will be fit and would fit into Australias 4 bowlers most likely to take 20 wickets

eddiesmith

Juniors
So a bloke who hasnt bowled for how long walks into the test side? :sarcasm:
Has been bowling for the last few weeks, still a couple more matches left before the tour starts which has tour matches. Will only have been 3 months, yet everyone wants Clark to walk straight into the side with less bowling under his belt

Hasnt lost anything judging by his bowling in the T20 and still turns it quite well something Hauritz doesnt, can contain unlike Krezja and takes wickets

African Monkey

First Grade
Has been bowling for the last few weeks, still a couple more matches left before the tour starts which has tour matches. Will only have been 3 months, yet everyone wants Clark to walk straight into the side with less bowling under his belt

Hasnt lost anything judging by his bowling in the T20 and still turns it quite well something Hauritz doesnt, can contain unlike Krezja and takes wickets
Is he as good as Shane Warne ?

fish eel

Immortal

Maybe it's because he has an outstanding test record whereas McGain has less than 20 FC games and no tests under his belt and hasnt played a FC match since september?

eddiesmith

Juniors
Maybe it's because he has an outstanding test record whereas McGain has less than 20 FC games and no tests under his belt and hasnt played a FC match since september?
So because Clark has a good record then injury layoffs dont affect him as much as someone who hasnt played as much cricket as him?

If anything McGain would be better rested and more likely to be able to bowl long spells in South Africa than Clark who has probably rushed his recovery to be right to play this week. And its only 3 months he had off, plenty of players have that during the off season

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gee you are a Nuffy Steady, Clark is a proven performer for Australia with an outstanding record. McGain is a 36 Leggie coming back from shoulder surgery and unproven at international level. Oh but wait he bowled well in the big Bash........

fish eel

Immortal
So because Clark has a good record then injury layoffs dont affect him as much as someone who hasnt played as much cricket as him?

No, I'm sure he will be affected, but he played grade cricket this weekend and as soon as he is fit, should be brought back. His record demands it.

If anything McGain would be better rested and more likely to be able to bowl long spells in South Africa than Clark who has probably rushed his recovery to be right to play this week

No, a leggie needs to be conditioned to bowl long spells as well.

You're picking mcGain before he has shown he can do it and bagging people for wanting Clark back.....

I mean, you're picking a guy to make his test debut on the back of very little cricket. setting him up to fail IMO

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Warnie always struggled after a lay off he and was the best ever, but we throw McGain straight back in because he took some wickets in the big bash :sarcasm:

eddiesmith

Juniors
Gee you are a Nuffy Steady, Clark is a proven performer for Australia with an outstanding record. McGain is a 36 Leggie coming back from shoulder surgery and unproven at international level. Oh but wait he bowled well in the big Bash........
I'm not saying Clark shouldnt play, but claiming McGain shouldnt because he has been out with injury and then demanding Clark play with less overs under his belt is being hypocritical

If you dont think McGain is good enough, fine, thats your opinion, but dont use a layoff as an excuse then claim a fast bowler is fully fit with less time in the middle

fish eel

Immortal
Warnie always struggled after a lay off he and was the best ever, but we throw McGain straight back in because he took some wickets in the big bash :sarcasm:

Remember how Warne went that west indies tour prior to the WC in 1999?

That was a comeback from a shoulder injury, wasnt it?

eddiesmith

Juniors
No, I'm sure he will be affected, but he played grade cricket this weekend and as soon as he is fit, should be brought back. His record demands it.

No, a leggie needs to be conditioned to bowl long spells as well.

You're picking mcGain before he has shown he can do it and bagging people for wanting Clark back.....

I mean, you're picking a guy to make his test debut on the back of very little cricket. setting him up to fail IMO

Yet if McGain proves his fitness why shouldnt be get a game when he is by far the no1 spinner in the country?

I'm only bagging people who think Clark should be rushed in but Australia should stick with Krezja because McGain has bowled more overs but not fit enough

Its one thing to say Clarks record demands selection and McGains doesnt, but to say fitness is only an issue for one is rubbish, a fast bowler if anything would need more conditioning, McGain has already bowled about 60 overs in match conditions and will get plenty more this week

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yet if McGain proves his fitness why shouldnt be get a game when he is by far the no1 spinner in the country?

I'm only bagging people who think Clark should be rushed in but Australia should stick with Krezja because McGain has bowled more overs but not fit enough

Its one thing to say Clarks record demands selection and McGains doesnt, but to say fitness is only an issue for one is rubbish, a fast bowler if anything would need more conditioning, McGain has already bowled about 60 overs in match conditions and will get plenty more this week
I think McGain is the best spinner in the country ATM, not much of a wrap though. But he is 36 and coming back from major shoulder surgery and will only have one FC game under his belt before we head to SA. Big ask for him and a little unfair.