What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

betcats

Referee
Jesse’s play awesome and I’m sure tgat wasn’t the plan when cole put it up but regardless it’s hard to argue that it didn’t land in a good spot for us. As westy said it was going to be really difficult for the dragons to get a good result from that landing where it did with time for Jesse to get to it on the full. They would need a lucky bounce or an incredible play from the full back.

Iamback

Coach
Assuming we sign no one cole is tear away fave at this point. Correct me if I’m wrong but he has four ta’s in his last two starts? Definitely some things to work, long kicking being the main one. But some really good signs also. He’s going into the line and passing often. When we get momentum he runs well and looks dangerous. His mid and short kicking he consistently lands the ball in the right spot. Defensively looks really good so far.

4 try assists but his try was off a kick. So that counts for assessment purposes

Bob

Juniors
Assuming we sign no one cole is tear away fave at this point. Correct me if I’m wrong but he has four ta’s in his last two starts? Definitely some things to work, long kicking being the main one. But some really good signs also. He’s going into the line and passing often. When we get momentum he runs well and looks dangerous. His mid and short kicking he consistently lands the ball in the right spot. Defensively looks really good so far.
We do have a another one in reserve grade/jersey flegg
Zach Lamont, mid season transfer from the Cowboys

Named as Queensland's halfback for the 2023 Under-19s State of Origin series, the Panthers have been able to poach Zack Lamont from the North Queensland Cowboys.

Playing with the Townsville Blackhawks last season in the Mal Meninga Cup and Hastings Deering Colts competition, Lamont was a Cowboys Young Guns member but has now moved down to New South Wales.

At this stage, it is unknown what type of contract he has agreed on with the Panthers, but he has spent the past two weeks competing for the club's NSW Cup team.

Jarome Luai's departure to the Wests Tigers next season will see him contend with Jack Cole, Daine Laurie, Brad Schneider and Trent Toelau to partner Cleary in the halves for the 2025 NRL season.

Lamont's signing to the Panthers comes after the club has lost Isaiya Katoa (The Dolphins), Luke Hanson (New Zealand Warriors), Sean O'Sullivan (The Dolphins), and Riley Pollard (Cronulla Sharks) in the past few seasons.

They will also lose Jarome Luai (Wests Tigers) and Jett Cleary (New Zealand Warriors) to rival teams next season.

“I loved any halfback that was good… Johnathan Thurston was so good,” Lamont told QRL.com last season when asked who he looked up to as a child.

“He does pop around for kicking sessions. Every time you see him there, you're kind of in awe. Whenever he's around, everyone loves it.

Darren Lockyer…. he was so dominant starting out. That's when I really started getting into footy.

"Obviously I was nine, but I'd go back and watch all of his stuff. He was so good. Such a good five-eighth who moved around the field really well.”

His arrival to the Penrith Panthers makes him the sixth player who competed in last year's Under-19s State of Origin series, alongside Harrison Hassett, Jesse McLean, Luron Patea, Billy Scott and Tim Sielaff-Burns.

Whino

Bench
The season is now done. I don't think we are any closer to knowing Luai's successor.

A look at the contenders after this season.

Cole. Had the most game at 5/8. 7 games (including WWC).
We won 3 with him starting. His best game was the first half against the Sharks before he went off injured. That, seems to be his biggest issue. Staying fit. I think he got injured 3 or 4 times this year? His lack of a strong kicking game could be an issue if Nathan gets injured during a match. @rooster rule is a fan. To quote him
Cole is a slow burn. He will do a job. He has limited Fg experience.You can tell he is adjusting to the pace at the moment. He will slowly build confidence and then try things in attack

Schneider. Played 4 games at 5/8. Though most of those he played like an organising halfback. Lets be honest. At this stage he is a reserve grade back-up half. Lacks creativity and need to be better at reading a game. Will need a big off-season. Could see him there in the short-term while others develop.

Laurie. A small cameo when Cole and Nathan went off injured in their respective games. Used primly as a back-up FB. Played more 5/8 in reserve grade. I am yet to be convinced he is a six. Others like Cole and Schneider were used ahead of him.

Toelau. The smoky as some say. Got a 2 -year extension after making his debut. Mainly been used as a utility. Some say he is still green. Had some good games in reserve grade. A lovely short passing game close to the line. He might be a slow burn. A good chance of being 14.

Talagi-. Some in the media have him as the favourite. I haven't seen enough of him to properly judge him as a half. Very classy footwork as a back. Probably rushed into first grade, and kept too long by a poor coach. In a shit team. His defence will need work and the parra stink will need to be removed from his game. Might be like Tolelau. A slow burn. There is talent there. But as a half?

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The season is now done. I don't think we are any closer to knowing Luai's successor.

We won 3 with him starting. His best game was the first half against the Sharks before he went off injured. That, seems to be his biggest issue. Staying fit. I think he got injured 3 or 4 times this year? His lack of a strong kicking game could be an issue if Nathan gets injured during a match. @rooster rule is a fan. To quote him

Schneider. Played 4 games at 5/8. Though most of those he played like an organising halfback. Lets be honest. At this stage he is a reserve grade back-up half. Lacks creativity and need to be better at reading a game. Will need a big off-season. Could see him there in the short-term while others develop.

Laurie. A small cameo when Cole and Nathan went off injured in their respective games. Used primly as a back-up FB. Played more 5/8 in reserve grade. I am yet to be convinced he is a six. Others like Cole and Schneider were used ahead of him.

Toelau. The smoky as some say. Got a 2 -year extension after making his debut. Mainly been used as a utility. Some say he is still green. Had some good games in reserve grade. A lovely short passing game close to the line. He might be a slow burn. A good chance of being 14.

Talagi-. Some in the media have him as the favourite. I haven't seen enough of him to properly judge him as a half. Very classy footwork as a back. Probably rushed into first grade, and kept too long by a poor coach. In a shit team. His defence will need work and the parra stink will need to be removed from his game. Might be like Tolelau. A slow burn. There is talent there. But as a half?
We have a stack of good centres, we 100% signed Blaize to play 6

Hooked

Juniors

Adam Peacock reckons he spoke to someone at Penrith, and claims they told him they don't know yet. On paper he could be a six but they want to get him at the club and see what happens first.
Josh Reynolds is thinks he is a six.

Last edited:

Girds89

Bench
We have a stack of good centres, we 100% signed Blaize to play 6

Yep. The worries about alamontis defence and we fixed that up.

Im sure we will fix talagis defence in the pre season.

He is a terrific runner of the footy and hes played as a 6 as well as other positions coming through.

I have no doubt he will be given every opportunity to succeed in the 6 and im certain after all our success he will be determined to come here and train the house down.

MrBlack

Juniors
Yep. The worries about alamontis defence and we fixed that up.

Im sure we will fix talagis defence in the pre season.

He is a terrific runner of the footy and hes played as a 6 as well as other positions coming through.

I have no doubt he will be given every opportunity to succeed in the 6 and im certain after all our success he will be determined to come here and train the house down.
He clearly has talent.

The rest can be taught in the correct system

Alamoti is evidence of that.

Lukemac

Juniors
My pick at 5/8 is Talagi.
If you haven't already looked at Blaize Talagi's highlights on YouTube, i suggest you do so.
Kid plays both sides of the field and has a far superior passing and running game to Cole. Highlights don't show any kicking so cannot speak on that.
His tackle efficiency for the eels this season is 80.6% in a very ordinary team.
To put that into perspective, Alamoti's tackle efficiency last year at the Bulldogs was 80.14%.
This year it was 83.73%. Albiet not great figures but still an improvement.
Proof that in a great system and a little more maturity, defence should improve.
Also note that Blaize played 5/8, centre and wing for the eels. Very hard to learn and get consistency being moved around all season.

Hooked

Juniors
Luai said something about a plan to have Cole replace him after the GF.

Ivan was quick to put his name out the other day. I think he probably gets first shot.If fit. Good thing is, he has competition to drive him.

Latest posts