What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

Kilkenny

Coach
Always love your posts even when we don't agree but this talk of a "circus" or "destabilising the club" all goes away if you just ignore the media and this 3 year run we are on is all about our club ignoring the merkins.
It has the potential to destabilise the playing group that is my point. The current situation. I’m not sure some if his team mates, would be overly thrilled with the current situation. It’s human nature. There will be some amongst the playing group who didn’t come thru with Jerome talking amongst themselves questioning what us going on.

I like the fact we should release him, but that would cause a chain of events of others to go early. I can't see May or now even Tago wanted to re-sign.

I can't wait for the season to start, 100 days or so to go.
Why's that? I think Tago may re-sign, unsure about may.

Iamback

Coach
It has the potential to destabilise the playing group that is my point. The current situation. I’m not sure some if his team mates, would be overly thrilled with the current situation. It’s human nature. There will be some amongst the playing group who didn’t come thru with Jerome talking amongst themselves questioning what us going on.

Not sure what the playing group have to not be thrilled about?

Jerome has decided to take a bigger offer.

The club all along has said they can't match it

So no deal was pulled last minute.

As for the not training, Ivan won't have to do anything. The senior guys will be on to it, as they would if Mav or some other rookie tried this

Iamback

Coach
Part of the reason that I am starting to get annoyed with Luai is that he strung us along a little bit. Would have been great to know he wants to leave and chase the $$$ earlier so we could have had a chance to retain Cogger.

I also get a feeling that when he finally does leave there will be a few stories about how he was disgruntled with the club. We got a small snippet of that with Critta but once Luai is out, I am sure both of them and maybe even Leniu will have more to say.

It's quite telling that it's the Samoan Brotherhood - the players who we hoped would stick by the club they professed to love, and stick with each other and all the FTA jazz, are the ones leaving.

I am also not absolving the club from some of this. I get the sense that the FTA boys all felt like they were taken for granted to an extent. Critta alluded to this after speaking about his signing with the Dogs, about how he felt management didn't value him and he took the Tago and May deals as a shot against him. In the end he left the club of his mates that he loves - for around 50-100K more per season which isn't a big deal at all.

In saying all of the above though, I am glad we didn't get into a bidding war. Luai is not worth $1.2m for us, even factoring in all the cultural stuff and definitely not his on field performance. I think 2023 was his weakest year by far which was surprising given how good his 2022 was.

As another poster said, None of those guys we lost were in a key position.

It sucks we lost them but we are in no position to give them what they want. Hopefully none burn their bridge here and like Laurie come home when they see how good they really had it here

BossleyPanther

Juniors
We have lost an entire top 30 squad of players since 2020.

Salary cap or otherwise it is what it is.

Unlike other major losses, in recent times, Api, Kikau, Lenui, Crichton the list is endless but we were prepared for such losses and they in some instances were known in advance of the negotiation period.

I don’t recall any of our our player losses being such as circus as this one.

It has the potential to destabilise the playing group and on that basis alone it warrants consideration to let him go early. I don’t see Jerome’s being released early automatically impacting the decision of other players.
Yes your right. This one has been a showcase.

Iamback

Coach
Ricky is a top 10 halfback of all time and yet the worst halves coach I've ever seen (over a long coaching career)

Cogger failed everywhere before he landed here and Schneider looks to have him covered in every physical attribute. I think he'll do real well here

Schneiders height with a few extra kilos would be a very handy player in defence.

For me I think he is too similar to Cleary to work but I'd have to dig out his Hull games to refresh my memory

Iamback

Coach
On topic I would be really interested in seeing a spine of Iongi, Laurie, Cole, Schneider and Sommerton on the bench for the first half a year in cup. Give Cole some time working on his kicking game and first receiver, Schneider in at dummy half and Sommo into the impact bench role he could fill in grade second half of the year.

I think they should switch between 14 in NRL and NSW Cup. Need to give all game time to get to speed but also get NSW Cup gametime

Sime_11

Juniors
i think Peach will start at 14 next year with the idea of one of those above mentioned (plus Soni Luke) to take his spot.

MugaB

Coach
Schneiders height with a few extra kilos would be a very handy player in defence.

For me I think he is too similar to Cleary to work but I'd have to dig out his Hull games to refresh my memory

Very much game manager, like ive said wont be surprised if nate plays 6, ala freddy/lockyer

Iamback

Coach

Very much game manager, like ive said wont be surprised if nate plays 6, ala freddy/lockyer

Not sure we need a game manager. Need someone who can play eyes up footy but can kick well enough if Cleary is out of play

Luke Bowden

First Grade

100% he’s very much and out and out 7.

I think he’ll be an excellent replacement for Nath when he’s unavailable, but I really don’t see him being in the running for the 6 Jersey.

Iamback

Coach
100% he’s very much and out and out 7.

I think he’ll be an excellent replacement for Nath when he’s unavailable, but I really don’t see him being in the running for the 6 Jersey.

He might work as a 14 to fill in a few positions. Not more than the odd game

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He might work as a 14 to fill in a few positions. Not more than the odd game
Laurie, Peach or Summo are better options in the 14.

Schneider needs to spend time at 7 and work on a few things this year. Sitting on the bench won’t improve the areas I think he’s lacking.