What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5TH ASHES TEST: @ The Oval London July 26-30, 2023

Fangs

Coach
283 ain't bad.

Let's see what the top 4 have got. All eyes on Davey...his test and international career is on the line. Potentially misses the WC and a home Summer if he fails here.

undertaker

Coach
283 ain't bad.

Let's see what the top 4 have got. All eyes on Davey...his test and international career is on the line. Potentially misses the WC and a home Summer if he fails here.
Warner will definitely be picked for the ODI WC, given his good form in that format over the past summer.

However, the test series vs Pakistan is another matter altogether. Warner's selection in this will heavily depend on how the opening state batsmen go in the first 6 rounds of Sheffield Shield (which overlaps with the ODI World Cup and T20 series vs India) before the first test starts on December 14. One of those Shield batsmen needs to have an absolute blinder to put the heat on Warner.

Just as a point of reference, here were the stats from the last Shield season:

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Warner will definitely be picked for the ODI WC, given his good form in that format over the past summer.

However, the test series vs Pakistan is another matter altogether. Warner's selection in this will heavily depend on how the opening state batsmen go in the first 6 rounds of Sheffield Shield (which overlaps with the ODI World Cup and T20 series vs India) before the first test starts on December 14. One of those Shield batsmen needs to have an absolute blinder to put the heat on Warner's position in the side.

5 ODIs in SA though.

What if he fails? That's meant to be how we judge one day form. It's not the same as the old days. Far less one day cricket. Need some faith in form in other formats.

Keep in mind the India ODI series. Warner played one game and it was at 4 while Head and Marsh opened. They are planning for the WC and I think the top order is undecided regarding Davey.

undertaker

Coach
5 ODIs in SA though.

What if he fails? That's meant to be how we judge one day form. It's not the same as the old days. Far less one day cricket. Need some faith in form in other formats.

Keep in mind the India ODI series. Warner played one game and it was at 4 while Head and Marsh opened. They are planning for the WC and I think the top order is undecided regarding Davey.
Forgot about that South African tour before the World Cup.

However, he will still be picked in the squad (barring injury), as the deadline for submitting the World Cup squad is August 29, and the 5 match ODI series in South Africa begins the following week on September 7. Obviously, that doesn't mean though he is a certainty for the starting XI in the World Cup.

undertaker

Coach
Good start from the Aussies so far.

Gotta survive out the remaining 90 minutes of this tricky passage of play (re: weather conditions). Don't want to lose a cluster of wickets before stumps.

undertaker

Coach
5 ODIs in SA though.

And yes, regarding the ODI series in India back in March, the Head/Marsh opening combination worked wonders, especially that 2nd ODI where they blitzed the Indians before the lights took effect.

I'd have no issue if the selectors went with that combination in the World Cup. The selectors will use the 3 match ODI series in India just before the World Cup (September 22-27) to put the finishing touch on who the starting XI will be in Australia's first World Cup match on October 8.

Fangs

Coach
Forgot about that South African tour before the World Cup.

However, he will still be picked in the squad (barring injury), as the deadline for submitting the World Cup squad is August 29, and the 5 match ODI series in South Africa begins the following week on September 7. Obviously, that doesn't mean though he is a certainty for the starting XI in the World Cup.

Very well. Then as you say he makes the WC squad. Those deadlines are too narrow. I thought those ODIs were sooner.

Still a bit riding on his form here and into the cup. A fail here and a few more in SA and knives will be out.

Fangs

Coach
My westy/blues fervor is coming out. I want Warner to ton up here.

This is his last test overseas. Make it a good one Dave.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Warner is just getting himself out to woakes so he won't get the record with broad of most dismissals.

Most useless batsman to get 4 series in England and do SFA.