What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A NSW Regional Side In The NRL

WHERE SHOULD THIS SIDE BE LOCATED

• TAMWORTH

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • BALLINA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • COFFS HARBOUR

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • GRAFTON

• LISMORE

• DUBBO

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • WAGGA WAGGA

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • PORT MACQUARIE

• ALBURY

• BATHURST

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • EDEN

• TENTERFIELD

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE I WILL POST IN THE THREAD WHERE IT SHOULD BE

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Saab

Referee
Poll day for Biker Dragon?

None of those areas. The game needs to be in major cities, not places in the middle of nowhere.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Poll day for Biker Dragon?

None of those areas. The game needs to be in major cities, not places in the middle of nowhere.

Polls let the world know what people are thinking

Also one would think the areas i mentioned have more rugby league following than other larger cities that don't give a stuff about the game

I say grow the game in areas where the game is known then take it into the unknown

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
The way to give these places a higher RL profile is to establish a state-wide 2nd grade comp like we have in Qld. Then put these teams in charge of development of their areas (like the Seagulls Academy in Wynnum-Manly & Redland City) & get NRL clubs to have an affiliation with them.

Misanthrope

Staff member
:lol: Tenterfield? Really?

I'd dig that. It's the closest of the cities you suggest to where my family lives. Why not Armidale if you're throwing Tenterfield out there? :p

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
The way to give these places a higher RL profile is to establish a state-wide 2nd grade comp like we have in Qld. Then put these teams in charge of development of their areas (like the Seagulls Academy in Wynnum-Manly & Redland City) & get NRL clubs to have an affiliation with them.

Bloody good idea man

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The national capital?

It's quite a few things ;-)

But it is also the regional capital even if it wasn't Australia's captial city.

The Raiders started off in Queanbeyan, so they are Rugby Leagues regional team, no need for a second one unless it's in Queensland.

Mr Saab

Referee
Polls let the world know what people are thinking

Also one would think the areas i mentioned have more rugby league following than other larger cities that don't give a stuff about the game

I say grow the game in areas where the game is known then take it into the unknown

Yeah the corportate support will be massive in Dubbo.
FFS...the game needs to be in major areas if we are to expland...not dustbowls!!!

joshreading

Staff member
I agree the country areas could not in any way sustain a team HOWEVER the WHOLE country should have direct affiliation with an NRL team (with say ten year agreements) and the NSW Cup should be slowly expanded to other major areas (such as Mid North Coast)

baddog

Juniors
the top 12 population centres in australia are

sydney 3.5mil
melb 3.2mil
brisbane 1.5mil
perth 1.2mil
adelaide 1.0mil
gold coast 420k
canberra 340k
newcastle 280k
gosford 260k
wollongong 230k
sunshine coast 170k
geelong 130k

townsville comes in at 14 with 120k, but if you consider the cows represent cairns and mackay (big distances involved but they do it) then they knock geelong off the list and come in around the same size as newcastle.

these are the 12 areas i reckon you want to cover, and probably the only areas that could be financially viable. we already own 9 of the 12 (including 2 of the top 3) in terms of the dominant footy code and have a presence in melbourne. we should have a plan to get a team in each of these areas over the coming years (maybe 15).

so apart from gosford, and convincing the dragons (or another club) to commit full time to wollongong i don't think a regional nsw side is really viable. gosford should happen sooner rather than later, and the sunshine coast should be in the planning stages now for maybe 2012. perth and adelaide should be much longer term projects, but the development should start asap.

perth reds in the jb cup is a good start and the nrl should be helping them develop towards nsw or qld cup and ultimately to nrl. adelaide would need to follow the same path, but they'd probably need a few years of good development work to even manage jb cup level. a second brisbane and nz team are also more important and viable than regional nsw.

Latest posts