What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accusations fly after NZ upset

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
A bit more detail in this report. Including a classic Waldron comeback of "I'm sure his mother enjoyed that language". That's almost as good as Gallens taking it back to the schoolyard "QLD hate us, well we hate them times 1000."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/warriors-make-a-stand/2008/09/14/1221330652697.html

AFTER producing the biggest upset in NRL finals history, Warriors players revealed that they had gone into yesterday's match with a plan to complain about Melbourne's controversial wrestling tactics every time one of them felt they were the victim of a grapple tackle or crusher hold.

The result, which was so unexpected that stunned officials abandoned plans to present the Storm with the JJ Giltinan Shield at full-time for winning the minor premiership for the third consecutive season, means that the Warriors will host Sydney Roosters on Friday night while Melbourne travel to Brisbane the following evening for a sudden-death play-off.

As they followed their downcast Storm rivals up the Olympic Park tunnel after the match, one member of the Warriors camp declared to the Herald: "Do you think we'll get any f---ing respect now?"

After becoming the first team to finish eighth at the end of the regular season and beat the top-ranked side in a finals match, the Warriors have earned more than that - opponents will surely fear them now after the way they stood up to the Storm.

"We just weren't going to put up with any sh*t," Warriors hooker Ian Henderson said. "We're aware they can grapple tackle and that kind of stuff, just the niggly stuff. We spoke about it a little bit. We weren't going to be bullied and pushed around. You have to make that stand.

"We were happy to play fair. We weren't going to take any crap. Sometimes we gave away a penalty but I think it helped. We said as soon as there was a grapple tackle, we weren't going to take a backward step."

Warriors captain Steve Price complained to referee Jason Robinson several times during the game, saying at one point: "We'll take it into our own hands. They're choking the sh*t out of us."

On another occasion, a Warriors player was heard to tell an opponent as they packed into a scrum: "You'll f---ing break someone's neck."
Henderson later barked after Jeff Lima's tackle on the Warriors skipper: "That was a crusher".

"I just let the referee know of some things that aren't right," Price said. "I felt particularly … I got some tackles done to me that I didn't think was right, so I just asked him to have a look at it and he did. That's all you can ask for, all you can hope for from his perspective. He did have a look at it and there were a couple of penalties given."

He added: "I'm not a fan of them [grapple tackles]. There were a few things going on. I had it done on one of my first hit-ups, then I got it done to me again."

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron replied: "I'm sure his mother enjoyed that language. We care about the judiciary, about Robert Finch, about Greg McCallum. I wouldn't give any credit to what any other club says about us."

The comments also riled the Melbourne players, with second-rower Ryan Hoffman saying: "We do everything within the rules. We don't go out there to break the rules. We don't go out there with any grubby tactics or bullsh*t."

Asked about the Warriors' complaints, Hoffman said: "I could see a lot of hands in the air - and Steve Price has got a great relationship with the refs, he was always having a yarn to them."

The frustration between the two teams seemed to boil over at half-time, with several Melbourne players jostling Warriors centre Brent Tate as they left the field.

Tate later played down the incident but said the Warriors had spoken before the game about not allowing the Storm to intimidate them.
"We spoke about that during the week," Tate said. "When you're in the eight no one's got a right to win it. Just because you come first doesn't mean you've got the right to win these games and we were aware of that.

Warriors teams in the past are critcised for not digging in and we really dug deep tonight and it's a great win."

Asked about the Storm's tactics, Tate said: "They are the best at it and I think a few of the boys were getting a bit rowdy about a few holds but at the end ot the day all we want is the referee to ref it fairly and I'm sure he did that."

Special K

Coach
Blair and Geyer were shocking. Maybe because they are both average players they feel they have to do that sh*t to keep themselves in the side?

It is so frustrating to watch. Nobody does it as often as the storm and if the NRL is serious and crack down on this I don't see them leaving brisbane happy boys

sharknows

Bench
If geyer wants to be a smart aarse and slap someone on the head then he has very right to expect a smack in the mouth back. Any self respecting footballer has the right to react to a humiliating act like that. The ref got it wrong, Geyer was the instigator.

Noa

First Grade
Blair and Geyer were shocking. Maybe because they are both average players they feel they have to do that sh*t to keep themselves in the side?

It is so frustrating to watch. Nobody does it as often as the storm and if the NRL is serious and crack down on this I don't see them leaving brisbane happy boys

Who was the Geyer tackle on ?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Was always going to be a fiery contest. The beards probably don't help, there's just something about a team of hairy men that provoke hostility. I'm hoping the Warriors can maintain the rage for a few more weeks.

Special K

Coach
Who was the Geyer tackle on ?
Check out every tackle he makes. There was one after a break which stood out to me but I can't remember what minute it occurred. But because he is slower then most players he tends to try and make up for it by getting all over the play the ball. If he isn't all over the neck he is falling over the play the ball. Every time he is in the ruck he is all over the place acting like a old man lost in a super market then when he gets called for it he puts his hands up and acts like he just wanted some soup

Also I saw the storm do countless spins on top of the player(ie not getting up to the side or moving but spinning around while holding the play the ball down so they could get set at marker) and that stuff is a penalty in under 13s yet I did not see the Warriors get one

BN420

Juniors
It's really sad that the only way the storm can win is by bending the rules and playing dirty.

I used to like them back when Lazzo and Kernz played but now their just dirty losers.

smeghead

Bench
It would be good if Melbourne lose to Brisbane just to watch Cryan Hoffman sobbing like a woman again. Hell he even has done it when they lose regular NRL matches

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
The Warriors are just telling it how it is, why would they "whinge" when they won the match. Fact is Melbourne are the dirtiest team going around and every other team is sick of it.

Dragon

Coach
lol @ Waldron. I love that guy

His best was threatening the Saints this year with legal action for 'slander', think he gave us 7 days to apologise.

We're still waiting Brian

dubby

Bench
Sucked in Melbourne.

Blair, Geyer, Smith, Lima = grubs.

It is no secret that Melbourne employ dirty dog tactics in defence, the problem is the NRL has sat on its hands for far too long now and let it escalate. Now other clubs do it, and this has just compounded the problem of WWE being introduced into RL.

The NRL and its refs need to clamp down on it ASAP. It is a dangerous, unsporting conduct that onlly enhances a players chance of injury. The question I have is;

does the NRL have the balls to clamp down on this, or will they be afraid of the backlash from media and the clubs?

Well done NZ, I am glad you beat those niggly pricks even if it cost my team its place in the semis. Anything to see Bellamy have a spack attack, Hoffman cry and Smith sook.

ozbash

Referee
you cant blame the storm, they are allowed to get away with it. bit like alfie langers hip throws..

somone will end up in a wheelchair soon though.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Well done on the Warriors on having a whinge...this wonderfull game is being killed off by the wrestle. I'm sick of it. I hope the Broncs keep hammering away in the media about this issue.

I hope even more the ref next sat will blow penalties for holding down. Just blow 3-4 penalties in the first 20 and get the message accross. Teach those storm wankers how footy should be played..

Noa

First Grade
Well done on the Warriors on having a whinge...this wonderfull game is being killed off by the wrestle. I'm sick of it. I hope the Broncs keep hammering away in the media about this issue.

I hope even more the ref next sat will blow penalties for holding down. Just blow 3-4 penalties in the first 20 and get the message accross. Teach those storm wankers how footy should be played..

Warriors were holding down longer then the Storm. Thats a fact.

camsmith

Juniors
It would be good if Melbourne lose to Brisbane just to watch Cryan Hoffman sobbing like a woman again. Hell he even has done it when they lose regular NRL matches

It would be good if West.. oh wait the Tigers aren't even in the finals.

Latest posts