What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Action must be taken to stop the AFL killing league

Edwahu

Bench
Didn't Phil bolt half way through the chief exec meeting where they were discussing just this sort of thing?
His angry man routine is shown up for what it always was now that the game has a bit of confidence.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I'm actually based at Blacktown for work and I've got to say that if you didn't know that GWS existed through the media you wouldn't know that they exist from what you see around the place. The only evidence that I ever see of GWS at all is an AFL field that has been constructed out the back of Blacktown in what I think is Rooty Hill or Doonside. It is in the middle of nowhere. I don't know what happens in schools around the area and the like but I can't help but think that this is little more than propagandist scare-mongering from Gus.

ceagle

Bench
None of those players there besides Izzy fit the Athlete mold, they all look like a pack of scrawny 17 year olds.

docbrown

Coach
f**k me that picture of him on the mike introducing Folau with a bunch of geeky schoolkids looks f**king stupid.

It reminds of Maoist propaganda, except they don't look like pasty white nerds.
3.jpg

docbrown

Coach
As for obliterating RL - go for it. RL survived the worst that the British monarchy ad the aristocratic class, Nazi Germany and News Ltd could throw at it.

True. I don't think there's been another sport that's had more rich bastards trying to kill it than rugby league.

That said - complacency breeds failure.

Survival isn't enough.

Rugby league must live.

Brutus

Referee
This is just Gould sniping at Gallop in his usual way. Gould likes to pretend that he's a man of the people but he's just an opportunistic power and money grabber as the rest of them. Let's face it, we are stuck with his mug on our screens because he got a job for life after super league, and he sided with the arl not because he's a white knight but because his own power base was threatened. I'm no fan of gallop and some of his decisions but Gould's constant backhanded attacks on him say more about his character then gallops.

I give Gould credit though, he is a master of hindsight and fabricating a populist image of a sage and fighter for the 'little' people.

He has all these suggestions on how to make league great, some of them good, most of them fanciful but won't put his hand up for a leadership role because it's 'not my job'. Cop out.

As for the afl 'monster' destroying league in Sydney's west - laughable scare mongering.

The same could be said of Gallop

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
So sick of these fumbleball articles… Gus just wants more money for the Panfers, he can go f**k himself.

edit: Just on that pic, is that seriously their uniform? wtf is it supposed to be/represent?

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
I understand this precinct in Blacktown was years ago offered to the NRL to build itself a showpiece academy in its western heartland. The NRL, for reasons best known to itself, chose to build its new administration block (not a rugby league academy), at Moore Park on SCG Trust land. This is not only a terrible commercial decision, it is the worst strategic decision any sporting body in the country has ever made.

wrong Phil

they built the academy in Penrith instead of Blacktown

the new NRL administration block was as a result of the Federal government promising funding to build it IIRC

f**king idiot

El Diablo

Post Whore
consult your fellow Fairfax reporters before making shit up, Phil

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-with-fresh-start-for-code-20100531-wreo.html

New HQ fits in with fresh start for code
BRAD WALTER
June 1, 2010

A $17.4 MILLION headquarters at Moore Park is set to become the first tangible sign of rugby league's new order under an independent commission, with an announcement of the project imminent.

The new building will house all of the code's various bodies - including the NSW Rugby League, Country Rugby League and the new Australian Rugby League Commission, which is expected to take over the running of the game from News Ltd and the ARL at the end of the season.

Plans to bring all of the governing bodies under one roof have been on the drawing board for some time but the Herald understands that a deal is close to being finalised.

The new headquarters, provisionally called Rugby League Central, will be built on land occupied by the SCG Trust at Moore Park, where the offices of the Sydney Roosters, Cricket NSW, Sydney Swans, NSW Waratahs and Sydney FC are established.

Officials believe the site is strategic in that it is close to the CBD, Sydney Airport and the Sydney Football Stadium.

The federal and NSW governments last year announced a combined $11.4 million funding boost on the eve of the grand final and officials have been working since on securing the remaining money required for the project.

The federal government's contribution was $10.4 million, with the NSW government providing an additional $1 million.

The building will also house a game-wide multipurpose learning facility for the code's various educational and community programs, including Eat Well, Play Well, Stay Well, the Premiers' Reading Challenge, indigenous programs, domestic violence campaigns and Women in League programs.

NRL public affairs manager John Brady last night confirmed that a deal was close to being finalised.

''We've been in discussions about this for some time and certainly things seem to be getting close,'' Brady said.

The main tenant will be the new independent commission, which is set to take control of the game by November 1.

All 16 NRL clubs voted for an independent commission and initially demanded the new body be in place by the start of the season. That didn't happen and talks between News Ltd and the ARL have reportedly slowed in recent weeks.

However, officials close to the negotiations are confident that the new body will be in place by the end of the season.

Under an independent commission, it is hoped that the salary cap and grants to clubs from television revenue can be increased to up to $6 million in coming years.

Aside from the immediate savings to be made from reducing the duplication that exists between the numerous governing bodies, an extra $8 million that News Ltd takes from the game each year will be available to distribute among the clubs.

In addition, the NRL is set to accept a $45 million bid from the NSW government to keep the grand final in Sydney for a further 10 years.

docbrown

Coach
Western Sydney Cup

Four teams: Panthers, Bulldogs, Eels & Tigers
All play each other home & away during the NRL season
12 games spread from March to August
Have the last round (with 2 games) played in Round 23
Promote it like hell under that banner
Drive up the rivalries
Have a massive fan day at Blacktown
Use it to drive up memberships

MightyBronco

Juniors

lol..i read it out of interests sake. Seems that AFL forum has some smarter types, some dickheads and some with NFI - bit like this forum. Check out this quote!

Australia is turning it's back on the more violent , physical combat sports . Apart from the occasional violent 'accident ' in the AFL , the commission has softened aussie rules dramatically through their rule changes and suspension's of violent acts .
AFL is being tailored for the future fan where as league is passing it's used by date for this society .
So hes saying future generations of Aussies are being bred to be soft, and thus, be AFL fans! lol...

They can have to metrosexual twinkies, we'll stick with the hard bastards.

docbrown

Coach
From the football fan horde:

Ice-Wolf said:
The next expansion targets in NSW and Queensland would be Sunshine Coast & Newcastle.

:lol::lol:

As stated by some Victorian who has likely never been to either location.

Brutus

Referee
The new admin block at Moore Park is looking awesome.

Hopefully we can also get some more NRL games at the SFS in the future.

Come back Souths...

Latest posts