What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Action must be taken to stop the AFL killing league

ceagle

Bench
Western Sydney Cup

Four teams: Panthers, Bulldogs, Eels & Tigers
All play each other home & away during the NRL season
12 games spread from March to August
Have the last round (with 2 games) played in Round 23
Promote it like hell under that banner
Drive up the rivalries
Have a massive fan day at Blacktown
Use it to drive up memberships
That would make too much sense though.

This is just Gould sniping at Gallop in his usual way. Gould likes to pretend that he's a man of the people but he's just an opportunistic power and money grabber as the rest of them. Let's face it, we are stuck with his mug on our screens because he got a job for life after super league, and he sided with the arl not because he's a white knight but because his own power base was threatened. I'm no fan of gallop and some of his decisions but Gould's constant backhanded attacks on him say more about his character then gallops.

I give Gould credit though, he is a master of hindsight and fabricating a populist image of a sage and fighter for the 'little' people.

He has all these suggestions on how to make league great, some of them good, most of them fanciful but won't put his hand up for a leadership role because it's 'not my job'. Cop out.

As for the afl 'monster' destroying league in Sydney's west - laughable scare mongering.

:clap:

Great post.

As for the bolded bit, Nazi-like propaganda and the casual observe swallows it up.

Brutus

Referee
I love Doc Brown's idea of a Western Sydney cup.

One of the best ideas I've heard in a long while.

Let's hope the IC is more receptive to things like this than the cost-cutting NRL was.

docbrown

Coach
I've said it before but anyone who has lived in Newcastle would know how despised the AFL is around here.

A friend's son is actually a sports all rounder. He plays junior rep cricket in summer.

However he tried out for both league & soccer and failed to make the cut - just too much competition. However he was appointed the AFL rep captain right away.

The thing is though - he had previously only played ONE muck around feebleball game.

He actually dislikes the game but it's good for his CV to be captain as he wants to get into sports medicine. But he actually hates the game and has said that the majority of the kids in the small pool are kids from parents born interstate.

There are nowhere near enough Victorians in Newcastle to ever make an AFL team work.

docbrown

Coach
The new admin block at Moore Park is looking awesome.

Hopefully we can also get some more NRL games at the SFS in the future.

Come back Souths...

And we'll have a HALL OF FAME again.

We need to start paying respect to our players - restart the HALL OF FAME VOTING as an annual tradition.

I would love to see a round where fans are encouraged to go to the Hall of Fame and learn about the game's history and the champions.

In conjunction with that I want to see a round late in the season where games are played in honour of all those players getting inducted and all those making milestones that year at all levels - club, rep and international.

Have a game at the SFS on Friday night and then Sunday afternoon have a Homebush game where all children get in for free and really pack out the place. Sell the tickets from the start of the year as an annual event. Have former players around the ground signing autographs, posing for photos, running clinics. Have junior footy games on and make an all day festival of it.

I read afew weeks ago (The RAH i think) that although the Thuns get a decent crowd ,it seems more than 50% are travelling Victorians,who like to spend the weekend at the beach,the game ,theme parks,nightlfe,shopping & probably checking out the boggers.
No disrepect intended to WS ,but besides watching the Canberra Celtic Giants game what could be an attraction to spend the weekend there.

I can see some very very ordinary crowds,with worse numbers watching on tv.

El Diablo

Post Whore
tard convention

Of course it's a war, I don't get what people here don't understand. You can't have two leagues the size of the AFL in Australia. It is impossible. One of the leagues is running on borrowed time, playing out of it's depth. The winner will have a clear gap between it and the second place sport within 10 years.

It is very likely that the AFL will take the first place simply because it has the most money, variety of supporters, and is already in every major capital city. This isn't even including the fact that AFL is a better sport to watch, has more athletic things happen in it than league, and can appeal to a wider range of people who want to play sports professionally. You don't have to be 180cm and 100KG to play AFL (the average rugby player). You can be 175cm and 75kg to 211cm and 130kg.

What Gus and all of these paranoid rugby diehards are failing to see is they are competing with a superior product.

Gus argues that there has been too much finger pointing but in the process he fails to realise that he is doing the same thing blaming poor administration and planning when in reality rugby is a terrible spectacle, and like soccer has no regular breaks for television commercials.

Exactly. People think you are biased to say such a thing but it's a completely valid point when you realize more athletic events happen in a space of AFL time vs Rugby time.

Rugby is players running into each other 4 or 5 times then kicking the ball, repeat. Every now and then a player gets a run on and a try is scored. It's completely repetitive and doesn't showcase much athletics besides raw strength.

AFL on the other hand is an aussie made product, featuring constant jumping, marking, kicking, handballing, tackling, goal shooting, etc.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Because they aren't a threat. AFL Is clearly the #1 sport in Australia and most people know it. Rugby League doesn't have the direction, funding or entertainment level to threaten AFL.

However when FIFA was rumoured to be getting into bed with Australia in that brief world cup time a lot of AFL supporters started to worry. FIFA has too much money to blanket australia with soccer crap even though it's an inferior sport to watch and play.

It boggles my mind that real Australians don't want to stand up for our own products, especially when they are the best in the world.

Brutus

Referee
Gould is 100 percent right when he says we need to engage with government better.

Loudstrat

Coach
Western Sydney Cup

Four teams: Panthers, Bulldogs, Eels & Tigers
All play each other home & away during the NRL season
12 games spread from March to August
Have the last round (with 2 games) played in Round 23
Promote it like hell under that banner
Drive up the rivalries
Have a massive fan day at Blacktown
Use it to drive up memberships
I like it! Not normally a fan of these things but yes, that could work well!

As for League HQ at Moore Park, maybe Homebush would have been a better site. That said, the usual non League codes play there thinking they are representing Sydney or NSW - eg Swans, Waratahs, FC. Having NRL HQ there makes sense in that regard. Plus it's close to the big end of town.

As far as centres of excellences go, they are far from excellent.

I bet in 10 years time Rebel in Blacktown will still sell League jerseys over AFL jerseys at least 20:1 ratio.

The article is plain hysteria and paranoia from Gus, it he used some common sense he realize the history and culture embedded by the West Sydney RL teams won't just collapse at the sight of the Giants. RL will stay the dominant sport there end of.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856074&page=6
Compulsive liar ..VJ knight.

how odd ? normally the mods of LU delete any links to BF.

You & the truth have not been introduced yet.

If you post from another site the rules here state you have to show a link..
f**king Victorianians...geniused ,lying insular cretins...

& why would the mods delete the links...
BF is comedy central..the biggest delusional nutjobs in OZ post there..

BuffaloRules

Coach
There is some idiot bagging out Billy Slater because he couldnt fist the ball as well as some AFL player in some contest on Victorian TV....

Like him or not, Slater is one of the best athletes of any sport running around the country, and certainly is superior to any athlete playing kick & giggle..

Latest posts