What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adelaide Sharks?

mightybears

Bench
http://www.sunweekly.com.au/news/lo...ars-launch-bid-for-return-to-nrl/1345625.aspx

Bears launch bid for return to NRL

BY PAUL CALLAGHAN

30/10/2008 1:00:00 AM
THERE has been one false start, one failed bid, and continuing rumours about the Central Coast getting its own team in the National Rugby League. And now a new applicant reckons it has a strong chance of success.

North Sydney Rugby League Football Club (NSRLFC) wants to establish a team known as the Central Coast Bears in the NRL's 2011 season.

Chief executive of the NSRLFC Greg Florimo, who lives at Dooralong, said on Monday his club was preparing a submission to the National Rugby League (NRL) which he hoped would be presented early next year.

"We're preparing our appraisal and business plan to show that we will be able to sustain a club in the NRL and we'll be knocking on the NRL's door early in the new year," Florimo said.

"Norths were one of the league's foundation clubs in 1908 and we have a large fan base and before the start of next year's competition we'll make our application.

"I intend to go to the Gold Coast and talk to the Titans' chief executive Michael Searle about the way they put their submission together and we'll also study the content of John Singleton's former submission."

Florimo, who played 285 first grade games for the Bears and who represented Australia four times, said he felt the NRL may realise that the Central Coast was crying out for its own team.

"I live on the Central Coast and my three sons all play in local teams so I have a good knowledge of the local competitions," he said.

"If the Central Coast had its own team in the NRL competition we would fill the Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford for every home game."

Ad man John Singleton had the same opinion of the Central Coast's rugby league potential on the national stage but his well-documented and well-funded bid was unsuccessful.

The North Sydney club merged with Manly-Warringah to form the Northern Eagles for the 2000 season, but the amalgamated club lasted only until 2002 when it split again with the Bears returning to the second tier NSWRL Cup.

But this season the Bears were the cup minor premiers and in 2007 they were grand-finalists so the core of a NRL team is in the making.

Florimo said he hoped there would be a strong and ongoing groundswell of community support among local rugby league fans for the formation of their own team.

"We kicked off the start of our bid to gain NRL entry last week and we are now sourcing the information needed to put together a very credible submission," Florimo said.

"I understand that the NRL would give us between $10 and $15 million to relocate to the Central Coast and that would give the fledgling club a good starting amount and would be the basis of our financial plan.

"I'd be hoping there would also be considerable sponsorship from businesses from Milsons Point to Lake Macquarie."

Asked about how he felt the Central Coast Storm which sponsors two locally-based junior rugby league teams and a premier league team in the NSW Cup might feel about the Norths' bid, Florimo said he understood that the Storm did not wish to relocate to the Central Coast.

"Geographically it's not that far from Hornsby to Gosford and I expect there would be a very strong fan base from both North Sydney and the Central Coast for the new NRL team," he said.

http://www.sunweekly.com.au/news/lo...rs-launch-bid-for-return-to-nrl/1345625.aspx#
http://www.sunweekly.com.au/news/lo...rs-launch-bid-for-return-to-nrl/1345625.aspx#
javascript:changeFontSize('story',1);
javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);

Dogs Of War

Coach
Really, Manly should just makes the bears the feeder club, and help mend all the old wounds. It will still take a while, but at least it's a start.

t-ba

Post Whore
Really, Manly should just makes the bears the feeder club, and help mend all the old wounds. It will still take a while, but at least it's a start.

Yeah, I can see the Norths really appreciate being under our heel even more so than they were during the JV.

The CC Bears would help Manly long term. I think it would aid in shifting our demographic into the Lower and Middle North Shores immensely.

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.sunweekly.com.au/news/lo...ars-launch-bid-for-return-to-nrl/1345625.aspx

Bears launch bid for return to NRL

BY PAUL CALLAGHAN

30/10/2008 1:00:00 AM
THERE has been one false start, one failed bid, and continuing rumours about the Central Coast getting its own team in the National Rugby League. And now a new applicant reckons it has a strong chance of success.

North Sydney Rugby League Football Club (NSRLFC) wants to establish a team known as the Central Coast Bears in the NRL's 2011 season.

Chief executive of the NSRLFC Greg Florimo, who lives at Dooralong, said on Monday his club was preparing a submission to the National Rugby League (NRL) which he hoped would be presented early next year.

"We're preparing our appraisal and business plan to show that we will be able to sustain a club in the NRL and we'll be knocking on the NRL's door early in the new year," Florimo said.

"Norths were one of the league's foundation clubs in 1908 and we have a large fan base and before the start of next year's competition we'll make our application.

"I intend to go to the Gold Coast and talk to the Titans' chief executive Michael Searle about the way they put their submission together and we'll also study the content of John Singleton's former submission."

Florimo, who played 285 first grade games for the Bears and who represented Australia four times, said he felt the NRL may realise that the Central Coast was crying out for its own team.

"I live on the Central Coast and my three sons all play in local teams so I have a good knowledge of the local competitions," he said.

"If the Central Coast had its own team in the NRL competition we would fill the Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford for every home game."

Ad man John Singleton had the same opinion of the Central Coast's rugby league potential on the national stage but his well-documented and well-funded bid was unsuccessful.

The North Sydney club merged with Manly-Warringah to form the Northern Eagles for the 2000 season, but the amalgamated club lasted only until 2002 when it split again with the Bears returning to the second tier NSWRL Cup.

But this season the Bears were the cup minor premiers and in 2007 they were grand-finalists so the core of a NRL team is in the making.

Florimo said he hoped there would be a strong and ongoing groundswell of community support among local rugby league fans for the formation of their own team.

"We kicked off the start of our bid to gain NRL entry last week and we are now sourcing the information needed to put together a very credible submission," Florimo said.

"I understand that the NRL would give us between $10 and $15 million to relocate to the Central Coast and that would give the fledgling club a good starting amount and would be the basis of our financial plan.

"I'd be hoping there would also be considerable sponsorship from businesses from Milsons Point to Lake Macquarie."

Asked about how he felt the Central Coast Storm which sponsors two locally-based junior rugby league teams and a premier league team in the NSW Cup might feel about the Norths' bid, Florimo said he understood that the Storm did not wish to relocate to the Central Coast.

"Geographically it's not that far from Hornsby to Gosford and I expect there would be a very strong fan base from both North Sydney and the Central Coast for the new NRL team," he said.

So the Bears financial plan is to hope that the NRL will just give them $10-$15m? Even if the NRL had that much in cash reserves they wouldn't just go giving it away.

Even if the Bears somehow convinced the NRL to give them the money it is barely enough to run a NRL team for a year, let alone start a new club (as an aside does anyone know how much the Titans spent on establishing their club? I know the Titans Training HQ opposite Skilled Park is worth ~ $20m).

Also interesting comments about the Central Coast wanting their own team. If the Bears are looking to move to the CC does it doesn't automatically make the Bears the Central Coasts team. Would an all new identity be preferable?

griffo346

First Grade
simlar questions have been asked down here

my mate was working on a power point presentation to get a adelaide team in the JBC he was thinking of re starting the rams name.

i said thats a possibility but that has failed wouldnt you want a new identity to see if that would work? he said you have something to think about and invited me to help get it going.

we are in the process of wrting to potentional sponsors and the SA government.

if anyone is keen in helping with our bid and wanting to look at it please pm me :D

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
simlar questions have been asked down here

my mate was working on a power point presentation to get a adelaide team in the JBC he was thinking of re starting the rams name.

i said thats a possibility but that has failed wouldnt you want a new identity to see if that would work? he said you have something to think about and invited me to help get it going.

we are in the process of wrting to potentional sponsors and the SA government.

if anyone is keen in helping with our bid and wanting to look at it please pm me :D

Go the Adelaide Seaturkeys! :D

Perth Red

Post Whore
geez if the NRL has $15mill to start a new team get the Reds in now!

Does the NRL really need another NSW team?

There are 2 or 3 more key strategic places for teams before another NSW team imo.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
geez if the NRL has $15mill to start a new team get the Reds in now!

Does the NRL really need another NSW team?

There are 2 or 3 more key strategic places for teams before another NSW team imo.

1) Perth
2) Brisbane
3) Adelaide
4) Sunshine Coast
5) PNG
6) Wellington
7) Christchurch
8) Point Lookout :D

mightybears

Bench
There are only 5 realistic markets left in the entire region: Central Coast, Perth, Wellington, Brisbane II/Brisbane Sunny Coast and arguably Adelaide.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
There are only 5 realistic markets left in the entire region: Central Coast, Perth, Wellington, Brisbane II/Brisbane Sunny Coast and arguably Adelaide.

Add Christchurch to that, the South Island has 1 million people & it'd start a great rivalry with the North.

PNG is the sleeping giant of Oceania, but it's only just starting to wake.

Also the long-term goals for any competition in our region should be Jakarta and Singapore, but I don't think I need to tell you how far off that is.

Why is everyone going for the Central Coast? How many people can honestly live between Sydney and Newcaslte?

mightybears

Bench
Add Christchurch to that, the South Island has 1 million people & it'd start a great rivalry with the North.

PNG is the sleeping giant of Oceania, but it's only just starting to wake.

Also the long-term goals for any competition in our region should be Jakarta and Singapore, but I don't think I need to tell you how far off that is.

Why is everyone going for the Central Coast? How many people can honestly live between Sydney and Newcastle?

The south island may have 1 million, greater Canterbury maybe 500,000 but the rugbycentric south [bar the west coast which has always been league strong] is not the licence to print that some seen to think.

It would be great for the game and for PNG but it won't happen anytime soon if at all, the $ and infrastructure is not there, unless the PNG government wants to divert from the much needed, or an Aussie miner wants to throw away bucket loads the $ will never be there for an NRL team.

The central coast has a population of over 300,000 [9th largest conurbation in australia] one of the highest growth rates in the country and prime league territory, add the north shore pop and its a major market. A more obvious league market than anywhere else bar another se qld team.

DINGb@T

Juniors
This is gonna become a major headache for the NRL.

First up, is that $15 million for setting up a team on the CC or for relocating a team to the CC? I was under the impression that it was for a team to move out of crowded Sydney, not for another team to be created.

The way things are going we're going to have at least 4 major players in the race for another set of teams (2 teams would be the obvious choice to avoid a bye) the 4 being Central Coast Bears, South East Queensland (which is Gallops preferred option), PNG (that does have major minig backers by the way, a lot of them from the sounds of it) and Western Australian Reds. Also, if they all start yelling at once, New Zealand will probably put its hand up to be counted.

Central Coast is close to Sydney

South East Queensland is already covered and any new team will just increase the saturation rather than expand league any further (and anyone wanting a Sunshine Coast team doesn't understand the geography- it'll be Ipswich for sure)

Perth is on the nose with Gallop etc who aren't so sure it'll work that far from the heartland.

PNG has the inevitable security problems. Also wont help tv ratings where it counts- advertising.

New Zealand is desperate for another team but the financials across everything in NZ is dodgy at the moment. Warriors barely survive so why a startup in Wellington?

All these teams will be shouting down the NRL who, quite frankly, will be lucky to have the money to admit one team let alone 2, and I'm guessing that would be stretching things anyway. The NRL will probably take one look at the finances and baulk at the type of risk/reward pay off any of the bids present (which, by the way, is why they like South East Queensland so much- guaranteed exposure, money, crowds, Lang Park, etc without the fear of market over saturation. It's by far the safest choice).

Any bid that is going to be successful needs to go to the NRL and say 'this wont cost you anything, and you're guaranteed to get this, this, this and this, all of which is incredibly lucrative to League in this nation without the risk of any damage whatsoever'. It would have to be quite an impressive bid.

One thing is for sure- Searle will be busy with all the applications he's going to be asked to look over.

No-one is moving out of Sydney by choice. The only way teams will leave Sydney is if they are forced to relocate (which won't happen) or removed from the comp entirely (more than a good chance, ask Norths + Newtown fans).

At the moment, the two teams which will be battling each other would be the WA Reds and the CC Bears. The Reds have the inside running at the moment, as they are entering Reserve Grade as a stand-alone club unlike Norths who are the feeder side for Souths. They also have the administration set up, and have organised issues regarding travel and signing up players. Norths, whilst they would be my sentimental favourite for re-entry, just aren't running as fast as the Reds are at the moment. Perhaps we can have both teams in at the same/similar time, who knows.

BrisVegas

Juniors
An additional SE-QLD NRL club is inevitable sometime over the next 15 years (by which time SE-QLD will be larger than Melbourne). Unlike the other potential locations for expansion clubs an additional SE-QLD club is a slam dunk in terms of profitability.

The Broncos and Titans are two of the most financially sound clubs in the competition, profitable without relying on poker machines, continually turning back sponsorship opportunities, drawing the top 2 crowd averages over the season, and generating huge public interest via TV.

Then there is the additional benefits an additional SE-QLD would bring (lets say a Sunshine Coast team). If the draw is continually tweaked to ensure a maximum number of derby games, a new Sunshine Coast team would increase the number of all-QLD derby's from 6 to 12 - An all-QLD derby every second week. And with theses derby games the NRL get the added benefits of sell-out crowds, media saturation during the build up, and monster TV ratings (A Broncos V Titans game out-rated the Olympic Games - and almost nothing out-rates the Olympics).

Assuming the Sunshine Coast team plays the majority of their home games out of a purpose built rectangular stadium, and takes a few blockbusters to Suncorp (and that the Titans do the same), Suncorp could host 16-18 games a season, almost 1 every weekend.

As for where the other expansion team would be from, everyone will probably have a better idea in a year or twos time. With the Sydney clubs continuing to feel financial pressure it is only a matter of time until one of them moves to the Central Coast to ensure their future.

If WA can produce a positive response to the games being played there over the next couple year (like the Titans in 2004-2005) they may be able force there way into the NRL's expansion plans as the 18th team.

coolumsharkie

Referee
This is gonna become a major headache for the NRL.

First up, is that $15 million for setting up a team on the CC or for relocating a team to the CC? I was under the impression that it was for a team to move out of crowded Sydney, not for another team to be created.

The way things are going we're going to have at least 4 major players in the race for another set of teams (2 teams would be the obvious choice to avoid a bye) the 4 being Central Coast Bears, South East Queensland (which is Gallops preferred option), PNG (that does have major minig backers by the way, a lot of them from the sounds of it) and Western Australian Reds. Also, if they all start yelling at once, New Zealand will probably put its hand up to be counted.

Central Coast is close to Sydney

South East Queensland is already covered and any new team will just increase the saturation rather than expand league any further (and anyone wanting a Sunshine Coast team doesn't understand the geography- it'll be Ipswich for sure)

Perth is on the nose with Gallop etc who aren't so sure it'll work that far from the heartland.

PNG has the inevitable security problems. Also wont help tv ratings where it counts- advertising.

New Zealand is desperate for another team but the financials across everything in NZ is dodgy at the moment. Warriors barely survive so why a startup in Wellington?

All these teams will be shouting down the NRL who, quite frankly, will be lucky to have the money to admit one team let alone 2, and I'm guessing that would be stretching things anyway. The NRL will probably take one look at the finances and baulk at the type of risk/reward pay off any of the bids present (which, by the way, is why they like South East Queensland so much- guaranteed exposure, money, crowds, Lang Park, etc without the fear of market over saturation. It's by far the safest choice).

Any bid that is going to be successful needs to go to the NRL and say 'this wont cost you anything, and you're guaranteed to get this, this, this and this, all of which is incredibly lucrative to League in this nation without the risk of any damage whatsoever'. It would have to be quite an impressive bid.

One thing is for sure- Searle will be busy with all the applications he's going to be asked to look over.

Good post but can you explain what you meant by that?