What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*AEW Chat*

Big Pete

Referee
I feel like the company is slowly but surely picking up. After months of facing new signees, Moxley is finally facing off against Kenny Omega in what should be a great match. Kenny has been underutilised so far in AEW, an issue that has been highlighted on the show, so hopefully he starts to put together a year we know he's capable of.

Similar deal with the Bucks and the tag division. They've been trying to spotlight other tag teams but the division itself feels like it's been in a major holding pattern as they tell the Kenny Omega/Hangman Page storyline. The Bucks/Revival match was generally considered the best match on Full Gear (that or Darby/Cody) so they're off to a decent start and it looks like they'll be more featured in the coming weeks.

MJF just forced his way into the Inner Circle and they're doing more bits with a big Las Vegas skit going down on the next Dynamite. MJF is one of the best characters in Pro Wrestling right now and while some of these skits have been extremely cheesy, MJF and Jericho have both brought them up to a level where they're not completely derided. The match between Jericho/MJF was surprisingly good considering the build and I don't think anyone has any real clue where the storyline is headed which is refreshing.

PAC returned after an 8 month absence from the company. PAC is one of the best guys to watch in the ring and it appears he'll be going toe to toe with Eddie Kingston which was a surprising but logical match-up.

Looking forward to more Team Taz. They've largely struggled to gain traction on Dynamite, but Taz and Ricky Starks are the highlight of Dark and Ricky is in that MJF category. Cage is solid enough as the heavy and like Wardlow can shine in the right environment.

The show still isn't completely clicking but it does appear that they're on the right track.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'd rate it a little higher than decent.

Impact might not have much name value these days but having another company rep come in and help someone win the title to then be featured on the other company's show (as implied) is pretty cool just for the novelty factor.

mackdadday

Juniors
This could be a game changer. Sting used correctly is a huge player and tna/aew working relationship? Played the right way, this could be tremendous.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sting won't be wrestling but will be a regular on air character.

I've liked the way AEW has used past greats (Roberts, AA etc) to help give a lot of what they do a sense of history for such a young company.

Sting is the biggest name they've brought in though so will be interesting to see his ongoing role.

The commentators hit that history aspect brilliantly. JR and Schiavone talking about Sting on the network that last aired WCW and Sting wrestled the final match almost 20 years ago.

RedVDave

First Grade
Hey guys I haven't watched any AEW or WWE this year although I am an avid listener of the Jim Cornette experience and he seems to sh!t all over it fairly regularly so I was just wondering if there were any other listeners? If you tend to agree with what is being said? Why/why not? Thanks in advance guys.

Hey guys I haven't watched any AEW or WWE this year although I am an avid listener of the Jim Cornette experience and he seems to sh!t all over it fairly regularly so I was just wondering if there were any other listeners? If you tend to agree with what is being said? Why/why not? Thanks in advance guys.
I listen to both of Jim’s podcasts too, I enjoy them both. There is definitely a lot of the criticism of AEW I agree with (too many pointless moves & spots, stupid angles that would get crucified if they were on WWE/NXT/TNA/ROH/NWA, misuse of genuine talents, no defined faces & heels, their women’s division is ordinary), but there are things I disagree with Jim and Brian as well (I like the factions - particularly Nightmare Family & Team Taz, titles aren’t flipped just to anybody, there seems to be a genuine move to get some size into the company rather than just cruiserweights/junior heavyweights, the announcing is actually rather good, I like their use of managers).

For me, I prefer seeing bigger guys wrestle and fight rather than just smaller guys doing spots, so I tend to skip guys like the Bucks, Cassidy, H2, Best Friends, etc (the exception is Darby Allin). So essentially, if you like watching tonnes of spots at a fast pace, you would enjoy AEW. If not, then pick and choose what you watch on Dynamite (Dark on YouTube is hot garbage, but sadly it also tends to be the only place you can see SCU).

My favourite show to watch at the moment is MLW Fusion, which you can watch on YouTube. Great show with some really good talents like Alex Hammerstone, Jacob Fatu, Josef Samuel, Low Ki, Tom Lawlor, Brian Pillman Jr, and others I’m forgetting.

RedVDave

First Grade
I listen to both of Jim’s podcasts too, I enjoy them both. There is definitely a lot of the criticism of AEW I agree with (too many pointless moves & spots, stupid angles that would get crucified if they were on WWE/NXT/TNA/ROH/NWA, misuse of genuine talents, no defined faces & heels, their women’s division is ordinary), but there are things I disagree with Jim and Brian as well (I like the factions - particularly Nightmare Family & Team Taz, titles aren’t flipped just to anybody, there seems to be a genuine move to get some size into the company rather than just cruiserweights/junior heavyweights, the announcing is actually rather good, I like their use of managers).

For me, I prefer seeing bigger guys wrestle and fight rather than just smaller guys doing spots, so I tend to skip guys like the Bucks, Cassidy, H2, Best Friends, etc (the exception is Darby Allin). So essentially, if you like watching tonnes of spots at a fast pace, you would enjoy AEW. If not, then pick and choose what you watch on Dynamite (Dark on YouTube is hot garbage, but sadly it also tends to be the only place you can see SCU).

My favourite show to watch at the moment is MLW Fusion, which you can watch on YouTube. Great show with some really good talents like Alex Hammerstone, Jacob Fatu, Josef Samuel, Low Ki, Tom Lawlor, Brian Pillman Jr, and others I’m forgetting.

Thanks for the feedback very much appreciated I love pro wrestling but honestly the WWE is now completely unwatchable. Vince McMahon is so out of touch it's embarrasing. So hopefully AEW will soon be the best program to watch I know NJPW & ROH get a lot of love to.

Thanks for the feedback very much appreciated I love pro wrestling but honestly the WWE is now completely unwatchable. Vince McMahon is so out of touch it's embarrasing. So hopefully AEW will soon be the best program to watch I know NJPW & ROH get a lot of love to.
I really do recommend checking out MLW. A lot of the guys on both major shows went through there, and the Fusion show is very entertaining.

https://youtube.com/c/majorleaguewrestling

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Mini Bullet Club reunion to kick off the year. Omega, Anderson/Gallows (while wearing Impact Tag Titles) and Bucks all doing too sweet in the middle of an AEW ring.

Trippy.

Mini Bullet Club reunion to kick off the year. Omega, Anderson/Gallows (while wearing Impact Tag Titles) and Bucks all doing too sweet in the middle of an AEW ring.

Trippy.
Feels weak to me without any of Balor, Styles, GOD, and Fale. Those there, including the Good Brothers, are your heavy artillery and made the BC awesome. The Omega & YB led version was meh except for their Civil War against GOD and Fale.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Feels weak to me without any of Balor, Styles, GOD, and Fale. Those there, including the Good Brothers, are your heavy artillery and made the BC awesome. The Omega & YB led version was meh except for their Civil War against GOD and Fale.

Sure if you look at past BC it doesn't stack up, but I don't think that's how it should be looked at. A lot of fans wouldn't even be as familiar with Styles and Devitt's time as BC leaders.

It just creates an interesting dynamic across the industry that could feed into multiple storyline. Page, Rhodes and Kazarian were all BC too, and with SCU threatening to break up while challenging the Bucks there's intrigue there.

GOD and Fale have been tweeting about it. Maybe legit heat, maybe not. Impact has a working relationship with both NJPW and AEW. White has also teased leaving (maybe a storyline, maybe not) and although he'll be in exile for awhile, Skrull is out and about as a free agent.

My point is, for the first time in quite awhile there's something very unpredictable about the industry and what's going to happen next. That's how I look at it, not comparing the past, but curious about the future.

Impact doesn’t have a relationship with NJPW, only Gallows & Anderson do. While Okada is with NJPW, don’t expect a partnership there. Same with AEW, Moxley is free to work there but Omega burnt that bridge pretty hard, particularly when he returned to DDT. The only US company with an actual affiliation with NJPW is ROH. Impact had one with NOAH, but I’m not confident that is still going.

While Fale & GOD have been tweeting about this BC reunion in AEW & Impact, I think Alex Shelley is the one who summed it up best. I’ll find his tweet and post it shortly.

I think it’s great that AEW is working with Impact and the NWA. But the BC storyline, to me, so far has been anything other than unpredictable. But until the top champions of Impact and the NWA come in, then it is less about unpredictability and more about either bringing their mates in (Good Brothers) or building credibility in their weak women’s division (Deeb, Rosa, Kay).

Last edited: