What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*AEW Chat*

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I've been following AEW results fairly closely.
I appreciated your post Vaulting.
Just going to add my opinion on the following 3:

please come to aew - New Era Hart Foundation, Killian Dain and Robert Rhoode.

please stay in aew - MJF for sure. Hard to really answer without actively watching it. I've seen bits and pieces here and there.

please leave aew - Marko Stunt, Orange Cassidy.

best wrestler - Jericho, then Cody Rhodes & FTR.

best tag - FTR. Of the "old roster", I genuinely don't know who I would put here because they've all been pretty ordinary. Probably the Jurassic Express, but only if Marko Stunt if left backstage. SCU (Kazarian & Sky version) has also been good.

biggest surprise - Sammy Guevara, Jurassic Express (again, only when they leave Marko Stunt behind).

biggest disappointment - Lucha Bros. What are they, heels or babyfaces? Do they know the rules to tag team wrestling? Also Shawn Spears' run. The build vs Cody was great. Then one match later, bye bye.

best on the mic - MJF, daylight to second.

best angle - The Cody vs Dustin build-up. MJF's build and turn on Cody.

worst angle - Dark Order. The Nightmare Collective was at least dropped when it went to garbage. Dark Order just keeps sinking to new lows.

Angle with most potential ruined - Shawn Spears and Tully Blanchard. After the quick mini-feud with Cody, they fell completely off the map.

Best match - Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes

Worst Match - Anything involving the Dark Order, Marko Stunt, or Orange Cassidy.

Funniest angle - Sammy Guevara trying to get a date with Vanessa Hudgens during a promo.

please come to aew - Davey Boy Smith Jr, Alexander Hammerstone, Jacob Fatu, Josef Samael, Brian Pillman Jr, Richard Holliday, Antonio Cesaro.

please stay in aew - MJF, Cody Rhodes, Lance Archer, Adam Page

please leave aew - Dark Order, Marko Stunt, Orange Cassidy, Chuck Taylor, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Riho, Joey Janela

Best commentator - Tony Schiovane

best manager - Jake Roberts

overall - Schizophrenic. Some great wrestling and storylines, with some of the most indyriffic bullshit thrown in. If this was WWE or TNA they would be butchered.

I've been following AEW results fairly closely.
I appreciated your post Vaulting.
Just going to add my opinion on the following 3:

please come to aew - New Era Hart Foundation, Killian Dain and Robert Rhoode.

please stay in aew - MJF for sure. Hard to really answer without actively watching it. I've seen bits and pieces here and there.

please leave aew - Marko Stunt, Orange Cassidy.

great call on the new hart foundation - teddy hart in particular is one loopy mofo

best wrestler - Jericho, then Cody Rhodes & FTR.

best tag - FTR. Of the "old roster", I genuinely don't know who I would put here because they've all been pretty ordinary. Probably the Jurassic Express, but only if Marko Stunt if left backstage. SCU (Kazarian & Sky version) has also been good.

biggest surprise - Sammy Guevara, Jurassic Express (again, only when they leave Marko Stunt behind).

biggest disappointment - Lucha Bros. What are they, heels or babyfaces? Do they know the rules to tag team wrestling? Also Shawn Spears' run. The build vs Cody was great. Then one match later, bye bye.

best on the mic - MJF, daylight to second.

best angle - The Cody vs Dustin build-up. MJF's build and turn on Cody.

worst angle - Dark Order. The Nightmare Collective was at least dropped when it went to garbage. Dark Order just keeps sinking to new lows.

Angle with most potential ruined - Shawn Spears and Tully Blanchard. After the quick mini-feud with Cody, they fell completely off the map.

Best match - Cody Rhodes vs Dustin Rhodes

Worst Match - Anything involving the Dark Order, Marko Stunt, or Orange Cassidy.

Funniest angle - Sammy Guevara trying to get a date with Vanessa Hudgens during a promo.

please come to aew - Davey Boy Smith Jr, Alexander Hammerstone, Jacob Fatu, Josef Samael, Brian Pillman Jr, Richard Holliday, Antonio Cesaro.

please stay in aew - MJF, Cody Rhodes, Lance Archer, Adam Page

please leave aew - Dark Order, Marko Stunt, Orange Cassidy, Chuck Taylor, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Riho, Joey Janela

Best commentator - Tony Schiovane

best manager - Jake Roberts

overall - Schizophrenic. Some great wrestling and storylines, with some of the most indyriffic bullshit thrown in. If this was WWE or TNA they would be butchered.

interesting how polarising Cassidy is. It’s hard to argue that he isn’t one of the most over people when they had crowds. I get how he is frustrating to a lot of people but if you can put that to the side he is one of the biggest draws they have

omega is an interesting call as well. I should’ve added him to my most disappointing list. Shouldn’t be in tags and the all elite thing in general has been bastardised in AEW. Really don’t like how they’ve used him so far. If you’ve watched his ROH and new Japan stuff you’d know what I mean

interesting how polarising Cassidy is. It’s hard to argue that he isn’t one of the most over people when they had crowds. I get how he is frustrating to a lot of people but if you can put that to the side he is one of the biggest draws they have

omega is an interesting call as well. I should’ve added him to my most disappointing list. Shouldn’t be in tags and the all elite thing in general has been bastardised in AEW. Really don’t like how they’ve used him so far. If you’ve watched his ROH and new Japan stuff you’d know what I mean
I don’t question that Cassidy is over to the AEW crowd, he absolutely is. However, if you’re not a die-hard AEW fan who already knew his backstory, you’re probably not going to like him. I prefer my wrestling to be more sports based, which is why I am not a fan of his. I got a laugh the first time I saw his gimmick on Evolve, but to me it’s now tired just like Joey Ryan’s magic dick (I actually don’t mind Ryan’s gimmick in Impact at the moment, interesting what happens when you don’t just rely on one spot).

Omega to me is the dance partner, not the leader. The reason he hasn’t been the “5 Star” guy is because he hasn’t got the genuine 5 Star guys like Okada or Tanahashi to work with. Those guys are special talents, Omega is athletic.

I don’t question that Cassidy is over to the AEW crowd, he absolutely is. However, if you’re not a die-hard AEW fan who already knew his backstory, you’re probably not going to like him. I prefer my wrestling to be more sports based, which is why I am not a fan of his. I got a laugh the first time I saw his gimmick on Evolve, but to me it’s now tired just like Joey Ryan’s magic dick (I actually don’t mind Ryan’s gimmick in Impact at the moment, interesting what happens when you don’t just rely on one spot).

Omega to me is the dance partner, not the leader. The reason he hasn’t been the “5 Star” guy is because he hasn’t got the genuine 5 Star guys like Okada or Tanahashi to work with. Those guys are special talents, Omega is athletic.

fair enough - I think omega can be five star but needs the right partner to dance with. I think that’s true of pretty much anyone. His match with PAC for example was brilliant

mackdadday

Juniors
AEW Dynamite is definitely the pick of the shows i watch and these days i generally only watch the highlights for Raw, SD and NXT. So much to love on it.

Inner Circle are hilarious.
Best announce team on tv.
Their roster just seem so much bigger than Raw and SD and everybody seems to have something going on.
Britt Baker plus Tony Schivone is GOLD.
Jericho and Cody have been the foundation so far but you feel like there are at least 12 guys ready to take that mantle in the next twelve months. MJF will be the one to take the belt off Moxley i think.
Love Orange Cassidy and have no idea about his back story.
The only qestionable decision that comes to mind was having Lance Archer lose to Cody. Archer had all this steam and now he seems to have disappeared since then. Hopefully they have bigger things in mind. I guess having Brody lose a world title match so quickly into his asrl stint was a bit bizarre too.

Nobody really stands out on the womens roster other than Shida and Britt althogh that Aboden is one freaky looking bitch.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Couple of things that turn me off the product

Orange Cassidy, his gimmick is just eww. I dunno about you, but I watch wrestling and want to suspend belief, I want to invest in what's going on, forget that its scripted. I want it to feel...well...real. Orange Cassidy just completely ruins the illusion for me. You can't tell me, that a guy can put his hands in his jeans, and compete with Le Champion... As does Marko Stunt in that he takes me the illusion out of it.

Another thing that happened recently - and potential spoiler alert, I saw it YouTube, not sure how recent it is, so DON'T READ IF YOU'RE NOT UP TO DATE - Still reading? okay, I figure it's okay to go on...Cassidy dropped a ton of Orange Juice (ha, fair but that isnt what angered me), then Ortiz massively oversells to the point of feeling second hand shame. Honestly ruined what otherwise would have been a good segment.

Little things like that just ruin it for, much like Dark when the womens champion who opened the show with a woman whose gimmick was being modelicious, to the point she even started to comb her opponents hair....come on!

They want to be different, and better than WWE...They have the talent, they have the roster imo to be able to compete but please, pick what you are, a serious contender? a mimic?

bileduct

Coach
Faaaark, Matt Hardly completely knocked out in his match at All Out and then refuses to be counted out for an easy end to the match. Total jelly legs afterwards, can hardly stand or walk in a straight line. Ref gives the X sign multiple times but... the show goes on.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought AEW did a pretty good job of building the Anniversary Show up, such a good job infact, I found myself really underwhelmed by the final product.

The biggest match on the card was Archer-Moxley and instead of making it an uninterrupted spectacle it hardly felt any different from any of the other Moxley matches we've seen. They tried to protect Archer by having Moxley possum pin Archer with a possum pin, but unless Archer comes right back at Moxley it was a weak finish that probably said more about Jon if anything. If you look at every match he's had at least since MJF, it's all come down to cheating, him locking on a desperation chokehold or a possum pin.

I thought for a match they spent a month building, it was far less dramatic than Lee-Cody from the week before.

The rest of the card didn't really serve the match well either. It would be one thing to have Best Friends/FTR go long since that had some momentum behind it, but then throwing in a 20-minute time limit draw between Orange Cassidy-Cody in a match that had no build was overkill. Not just because of the show, but also that's two long segments involving members of the Best Friends.

The matches themselves weren't necessarily bad, I thought they were largely a mixed bag, but the show was just lacking huge moments. With the way AEW was hyping the show up, I thought it'd be the type of show you could bring in somebody relatively big (Chris Hero as another Indie Vet comes to mind - him and Eddie Kingston clashing would work) or have a huge development. Instead, the Jericho-MJF segment summed it up best when it was this goofy long-winded segment and the pay-off is that there's going to be an even goofier segment next week.

With the PPV coming up, Dynamite should be more compelling in the coming weeks. Since All Out, it just seems like they've been laying the ground-work to do all these builds and with Kenny Omega and the Bucks back in action it should boost the star power of the show. They can also go full throttle on Kingston-Moxley which should be good since they're both great at cutting promos.

Cody is a Rhodes again. He has dropped all of his attempts to copyright the old JCP/WCW PPV names, and WWE have dropped their copyright to the Cody Rhodes name.

Latest posts