What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Akuila Uate

roopy

Referee
Johns Magic said:
So you don't actually understand what you're talking about.

Thanks for clearing that up.

As i said - i understand perfectly that attacking play is not possible in union. I'll leave it to you to agonise over why that has happened and what to do about it.

As to Tahu being a terrible defender now - you better tell me all the reasons that angles are different on union fields and no league player will ever have the intelligence to work out how to tackle a union player who has the benefit of carrying a slide rule in his pocket to work out exact attacking lines etc.

Yosh

Coach
When the blackline in union does get an opportunity to make an attacking raid it is quite awesome to watch because there is acutally so much room they can move into, since the blackline is standing very deep they usual have a good 15m before the reach the defense and if its a one on one situation its awesome to see gun wingers like Lote or someone step fend and rip the other winger in half...

League is usually alot more exciting in terms of exciment per minute, but when Union does get exciting it is just as good as league in terms of exciting backline movements!!!

perverse

Referee
Yosh said:
League is usually alot more exciting in terms of exciment per minute, but when Union does get exciting it is just as good as league in terms of exciting backline movements!!!
exciting like a fart in a bathtub.

i had a kiwi mate that was into the rah rah... and i ended up following the crusaders for a while during andrew merhtens prime. sh*t sport. the crusaders were an unstoppable killing machine at the time (probably still are) at it was still boring as hell. confusing too, the technical rules in that game are fkn ridiculous to try and follow.

Yosh

Coach
perverse said:
exciting like a fart in a bathtub.

i had a kiwi mate that was into the rah rah... and i ended up following the crusaders for a while during andrew merhtens prime. sh*t sport. the crusaders were an unstoppable killing machine at the time (probably still are) at it was still boring as hell. confusing too, the technical rules in that game are fkn ridiculous to try and follow.

I love my league but you must admit its quite a simple sport... All you pretty much have to do is run straight at the try line... Union on the other hand is a bit more complicated and can seem a little boring and tedious at times but if you have a good understanding of the game machanics its acutally quite tense and exciting. I played Union when I was younger so I do konw a little of how the game works so I enjoy watching some Union to, even though its usually on the international games.

League to a someone who doesnt know much about the sport can seem like big blokes just running at each other trying to kill themselves but we all know that league is acutally quite alot more sofisticated then that and elegance and grace blesses our game:eek:

League definately is more exciting from my personal opinion and State of Origin is probably the best sporting spectacle apart from watching Korea play in the World Cup (I'm Korean and a big big soccer fan so yeah)

Johns Magic

Referee
roopy said:
As i said - i understand perfectly that attacking play is not possible in union.

You understand nothing, and you've provided no evidence to support your case this entire thread.

As to Tahu being a terrible defender now - you better tell me all the reasons that angles are different on union fields and no league player will ever have the intelligence to work out how to tackle a union player who has the benefit of carrying a slide rule in his pocket to work out exact attacking lines etc.

Angles are different on union fields. If you watched five minutes of Super 14 you'd see that.

It's much harder to defend in union because almost all the tackling is 1-on-1, and with much more space. You don't see three guys in a gang-tackle in union, because there's too much space to cover.

I know union fans who say that league is just like running into a brick wall for 5 tackles and then a kick. Of course we all know that's wrong, and so I tell them. There are facets of the game that they don't understand, just as there are facets of union that leagueys don't understand.

It's just a shame that you're so insecure that you feel the need to bag out a rival code that you don't even understand.

Johns Magic said:
You understand nothing, and you've provided no evidence to support your case this entire thread.

Angles are different on union fields. If you watched five minutes of Super 14 you'd see that.

It's much harder to defend in union because almost all the tackling is 1-on-1, and with much more space. You don't see three guys in a gang-tackle in union, because there's too much space to cover.

I know union fans who say that league is just like running into a brick wall for 5 tackles and then a kick. Of course we all know that's wrong, and so I tell them. There are facets of the game that they don't understand, just as there are facets of union that leagueys don't understand.

It's just a shame that you're so insecure that you feel the need to bag out a rival code that you don't even understand.
I watch Super 14 and this one on one tackle theory is probably on the money. The technicalities of Union rucks demand it.

roopy

Referee
Johns Magic said:
Apart from parading every cliche on Union v league i've ever heard you haven't exactly been strong on evidence either.

During the late 70's and early 80s my mother's cousin played for the Wallabies, and i actually had a pretty fair interest in the game in the days Campese was the best attacking player in any code, despite his belief that tackling wasn't his job. I also watched a heap of the Ella brothers live while watching my relative play.

I haven't taken a lot of interest since he retired, but i have seen the way the game has changed dramatically from the day it became a professional sport. They have developed strong defence, but the rules of their game make it very difficult to counter that defence. Campese and the Ellas were the best and most exciting Union players Australia has ever produced and none of the four would last a minute in today's game.

Union could have taken the country by storm after the world cup in Australia if they hadn't served up the steaming pile of sh*t their code has become.

The only time you will see brilliant attack in a union game now would be in a game like Australia v some minnow country, where one side can attack and the other side can't defend. When the top countries meet each other tries are as rare as soccer goals because of good defence and the incredible number of potential infringements possible in the game.

Union is going backwards rapidly because people have actually taken a long hard look at it in recent years and all the thinking fans have decided it is crap.

You can trot out all your cliches on how it is a thinking man's game and league is just a simple game for idiots, but as Abe Lincoln said, you can't fool all the people for long (sort of).

Even the people who run the sport are aware that it is increasingly on the nose because the rules of the sport are not appropriate now that the game is being played by fit athletes these days.

I haven't watched a game of union since the Australian WC, but just by reading the match reports from the games in the last WC i know the game is going backwards as a spectacle as players get fitter and fitter.

The powers that be in Union are trying to overhaul the rules to make the game actually watchable, but the poor buggers are hogtied because the obvious way to go is to make the game more like league, and they'd rather slit their own throats then do that.

christopher

Juniors
yes, in union the majority of your tackles, if you're an outside back, will be one on one.

but the total tackles a player makes in any position in the backline will be no more than five.

for forwards. two on one tackling happens often and the leading tackler for the game will be lucky to have thirteen hits beside his name.

i played union as halfback all through highschool in a decent comp (level below gps, tas) but with a sh*t team and i admit to not knowing alot of the rules when playing as i never watched the game untill grade 12 and while i made more breaks than anyone in my team i also gave away more penalties.

when i did start knowing the rules i found the games to be quite interesting at times and this saturday night me and the boys will be watching the reds vs brumbies game at the pub.

but to think the game of union as entertainment, or a test of your ability as a footballer compares to league, is ludicrous.

unless your talking about scummaging or lineouts, which granted, many union fans and players love to discuss and analyse as if its as exciting as backline play or a mark gasnier shuffle, step, palm and run.

The hits in league are also so much harder. the ten metres back helps and the fact you dont have to secure posession. allowing the freeing of arms for palming and running right at someone, not sucking to the ground to avoid baing tackled, which is what union players are taught to do. sorta like in touch when you touch the defence to get a quick play.

yes the forwards in union are bigger and taller. but they can't run. unless they've played league they dont know how to hit the line and break through a tackle. why? because their not supposed to.

nz union forwards still try to, as they like to off load and islander boys will always want contact, hence the reason any islander exposed to league falls in love with the game and why so many of nz's stars are transplanted here as a teenager. once they're exposed to league they cant get enough of it.

and lay off tahu.. it was his fourth game of union.

there is not one australian union player who would be ranked among australia's top 60 players in his first year across... there's probably a few nz wingers though. tahu will play for the wallabies this year, im sure it was in his contract and anyway they need the publicity.

in conclusion... union games can be intersting and exciting, scores are often closer than league due to the raft of penaty kicks, but surely everyone knows now it has nothing on the contest league provides.

Johns Magic

Referee
christopher said:
but the total tackles a player makes in any position in the backline will be no more than five.

That's quite simply wrong.

If you're a 5/8 or a centre you can make plenty of tackles.

A 5/8 can make 15 tackles in one game, like Berrick Barnes did last week.

Meyer Bosman at centre made 17 tackles last week.

Even wingers like Rococoko made 6 and Tuqiri made 8.

The defensive workload is certainly nowhere near as high as in league, but you're exaggerating big time.

Whats Doing

Bench
The back line plays these days in union (especially in Australia) are no where near exciting as they were in the 80's. They lack imagination and certainly don not run the lines as they do in league. There are of course reasons for this including much fitter players and more players on the field.

I think Tahu deep down will regret his decision to switch. If he thought he was not getting involved in the action when he was on the wing for Newcastle, he will be real piss$d off with the lack of involvement in union.

Ranger Jace

Juniors
Johns Magic said:

Yeah, JM is a self-proclaimed God around here so while you're at it Roops pls provide birth certificate, TFN, license, blood type whatever else piece of documentation the kid wants.

There you go JM, now go make those typical replies of yours so you can further add to your post tally.

Latest posts