What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BranVan3000

Coach
I think the best bit of news is he has movement in his arms. Ben Ross had a neck injury that almost made him a quadriplegic. He had to have a disc removed as well (for McKinnon it is two). It was a long two year recovery but he regained full mobility and played again.

For McKinnon talking about playing right now is a ways off. I hope Newcastle stick by him though. It would be nice if they could get some sort of salary cap expemption to support him while he is injured

Johns Magic

Referee
I think the best bit of news is he has movement in his arms. Ben Ross had a neck injury that almost made him a quadriplegic. He had to have a disc removed as well (for McKinnon it is two). It was a long two year recovery but he regained full mobility and played again.

For McKinnon talking about playing right now is a ways off. I hope Newcastle stick by him though. It would be nice if they could get some sort of salary cap expemption to support him while he is injured

Think it's only his right arm at the moment that has movement.

ek999

First Grade

Statement doesn't mention anything about his left arm, only his right.

TheFrog

Coach
Agree

Snowden was made an example of last year when the shoulder charge was being put under the microscope so I can see McLean receiving the same treatment here.

I think what happened to Snowden was that he was given the benefit of a small doubt and a light suspension for the kneeing incident with Adam Docker, and then found himself in trouble again in his first or second game back. The review panel and judiciary don't like people they've given a go coming before them again soon after.

Having said that, this was a very nasty incident indeed. I feel McLean will get a very long suspension.

jamesgould

Juniors
Inglis dumped by Fa'aoso twice that match was worse, and he got 8 weeks or so? Wouldn't complain if McLean got that honestly, an example needs to be set, it's just unfortunate that it's one of my guys that needs to be crucified for it. But they should also throw grade ones at the rest of the spears this round, there were three or four in the Melbourne game alone. If they are going to set an example, do it for all the tackles, rather than the one spotlighted by the injury.

Would anyone complain if it's a week minimum for any player who puts an arm between the leg or lifts the legs in a tackle now?

McLean is obviously going to get a decent stint, and I think the NRL has handled this excellently. But they need to consistently crack down on this from round four onwards for all offenders, I reckon. Even if it prevents something like this happening again once in the next 20 years, it's worth it.

I'm a Knights fan, but if I see Leilua do it again next week I'll be disgusted.

Shocking news on the Knights website ... poor Alex. :(

Spot On

Coach
Which is what I said and is surely what will happen, and is the logical way to go about it.

A one-week suspension for an illegal tackle that has broken a guy's neck and put him in an induced come is a move to pander to mothers?

I suggest you take a look at the bigger picture here. McLean serving a week of his inevitable suspension before he can defend himself from the rest of it is not a big deal when complex medical details are still to come and it's still a raw subject.

A poor comparison perhaps but didn't Kade Snowden cop 8 or 9 weeks for the "shoulder charge" on R. Thomson last year??? Thompson's jaw was broken and Kade should have been suspended but 8/9 weeks????

What's this tackle worth in regards to suspension?????

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
A poor comparison perhaps but didn't Kade Snowden cop 8 or 9 weeks for the "shoulder charge" on R. Thomson last year??? Thompson's jaw was broken and Kade should have been suspended but 8/9 weeks????

What's this tackle worth in regards to suspension?????

I don't think that has been discussed in this thread. Can you elaborate?

northwest9

Juniors
Would anyone complain if it's a week minimum for any player who puts an arm between the leg or lifts the legs in a tackle now?

McLean is obviously going to get a decent stint, and I think the NRL has handled this excellently. But they need to consistently crack down on this from round four onwards for all offenders, I reckon. Even if it prevents something like this happening again once in the next 20 years, it's worth it.

I'm a Knights fan, but if I see Leilua do it again next week I'll be disgusted.

Shocking news on the Knights website ... poor Alex. :(

keep an eye on beau scott. he loves them

First Grade
Innocent til proven guilty, right? If its good enough for criminals its good enough for footy players.

Where is the due process in what the NRL have done by standing him down?

I think them standing him down for a week is actually meeting their duty of care, the young fella's mind would be all over the place at the moment. How horrible would it be if he played next week and due to not being in the right frame of mind he hurt someone else or himself from lack of concentration. The NRL standing him down for a week is in his own best interest.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm proud of the boys for putting him on his back and calling in help straight away. They were all f**king terrified, but he was at the front of their minds.

macavity

Referee
I feel sorry for McLean to be honest. There was no malice from, there was 2 other blokes who contributed aswell.
Smith on the other has lost all respect that I've had for him. He should apologise for how he acted, such a selfish, disrespectful merkin who's used to having everything go his way. We don't need a person like him captaining Australia.

well said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts