What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

afinalsin666

First Grade
Except Smith.

Eh, smith was scared, I've seen that face when Wolfman went down against us with a broken neck, but he had a duty to speak up, or so he thought.

He made a ridiculously stupid point, that being the head duck, but he also made a good point, being that there were already a couple dangerous throws in the match. Penalize the ones earlier and maybe the players be more careful to try and keep away from the penalty. It was a bad time, but he can't say it any other time thanks to the new rules.

Smith was tactless, but he was definitely worried.

Fazz_138

Juniors
Except Smith.

THIS. Whinging about being penalised was first on his mind. I don't care that he was shown as being "concerned" a few minutes later. Immediately after the tackle and then after Mckinnon was taken off the field, all he wanted to do was whinge about the call. If Smith had truly been worried, he wouldn't have started right up with the complaining again, he would have just copped the penalty.

Credit to the rest of the Storm who did the right thing, but Smith is a total grub.

Fingers crossed for Mckinnon too, not a Knights fan or anything, but nobody deserves this.
(not even Cam Smith, before anybody gets butthurt)

skeepe

Immortal
Absolutely terrible thing to happen. Poor kid. Wish him all the best, and hope his teammates are doing ok as well, would be a pretty traumatic thing to see happen to anyone, let alone a mate.

THIS. Whinging about being penalised was first on his mind. I don't care that he was shown as being "concerned" a few minutes later. Immediately after the tackle and then after Mckinnon was taken off the field, all he wanted to do was whinge about the call. If Smith had truly been worried, he wouldn't have started right up with the complaining again, he would have just copped the penalty.

Credit to the rest of the Storm who did the right thing, but Smith is a total grub.

Fingers crossed for Mckinnon too, not a Knights fan or anything, but nobody deserves this.

Well we don't need anymore evidence than last night to prove Smith is a d*ckhead. Thank God he's staying with Melbourne for the rest of his days and not polluting any other club. I'm glad the news tonight picked up on his whinging and showed the world what a turd he is. That was possibly the worst case of sportsmanship we've ever witnessed on a footy field. I'm so glad he tainted whatever credibility he had left. That effort last night will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Noname36

First Grade
Eh, smith was scared, I've seen that face when Wolfman went down against us with a broken neck, but he had a duty to speak up, or so he thought.

He made a ridiculously stupid point, that being the head duck, but he also made a good point, being that there were already a couple dangerous throws in the match. Penalize the ones earlier and maybe the players be more careful to try and keep away from the penalty. It was a bad time, but he can't say it any other time thanks to the new rules.

Smith was tactless, but he was definitely worried.

Smith was not concerned in the slightest...except about conceding a penalty. I feel extremely sorry for McLean. No way he expected that would happen. Imagine how the kid would be feeling? I don't feel anything but disgust for Smith though based on his behaviour there.

For McKinnon talking about playing right now is a ways off. I hope Newcastle stick by him though. It would be nice if they could get some sort of salary cap expemption to support him while he is injured

I think they'll certainly stick by him. From all reports he was just about to ink a new deal when it happened, and many at club have referred to him as a future captain. Whether he can still play though will be the issue. Sticking by him might end up being finding him a place in the club so he's not lost to the game even if he can't play anymore.

maccattack

Juniors
You guys are unreal. As if he was only worried about the penalty. Get a grip.

He made a point. That's all. He's not a f**kin monster.

Dragon

Coach
Horrible news, wish him all the best in his long recovery. One things for sure the league community will look after him

magpie4ever

First Grade
You guys are unreal. As if he was only worried about the penalty. Get a grip.

He made a point. That's all. He's not a f**kin monster.

I agree and the point he made was accurate, but timing might have been off. I don't know why Alex ducked his head into his chest but that is where it went wrong, if he took the face plant or braced with his arm than at worst it might have been considered as a penalty.

Snappy

Coach
McKinnon has surgery, faces long recovery
By Knights Media
NRL.com
7:30pm Tue 25th March, 2014

On Monday night scan results for Alex McKinnon confirmed a dislocation at C4 and C5.

McKinnon had emergency surgery early on Tuesday morning to stabilise his neck, which consisted of a disc removal at C4 and C5 and anterior fusion.

Alex had additional scans on Tuesday afternoon, which confirmed a devastating spinal injury.

Alex remains in hospital in intensive care and may require further surgery to stabilise his spine.

He has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in regeneration, with a variable prognosis.

The doctors explained regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

Family and Club officials remain with Alex in hospital. The Club requests Alex and his family's privacy is respected at this time.

http://www.nrl.com/mckinnon-suffers-fractured-neck/tabid/10874/newsid/77078/default.aspx

Cloudsurfer

Juniors

Did everyone know the seriousness of it immediately? Or only those ones closest at first...and those of us watching it on tv because we saw it up close and personal.

Smith was doing his job firstly...Smith is known for his coolness under pressure and he was still playing the game so to speak UNTIL like a lot of the other players, realized it was very serious. Some people are so ready to pour all their hate onto the man...clouds the vision. And when it was ready to start he resumed playing the game...just like all the other players.

Shouldn't they have called the game off? Wouldn't that have made it better - been the right thing to do? No, because that's not what happens.

Did you carry on watching the rest of the game? Bet you weren't the only one...who should be calling who callous?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hope player is ok. Bad outcome but tackle was nothing we don't see 3-4 times in every game. You shouldn't punish the outcome. If they wanted to get this totally out of the game they should have clamped down on it properly years ago. This poor kid is probably going to be the scapegoat for the nrl's inaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.