What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cobra

Juniors
I didn't blame anyone. A similar yet different example is my dad. He was an apprentice butcher when he was a kid. He was cleaning the mincer when the other apprentice turned it on not realising my dad had a hand in it. Bye bye hand. Although my dad lost his hand the bloke who turned the mincer on was a mental wreck, life shot to pieces. He didn't set out to amputate my dad's hand, but that's what happened.

Im not saying its Alex McKinnon's fault, I'm just saying Jordan McLean will suffer in a completely different way. There could be two lives shattered here.

I totally agree, it was a freak ACCIDENT !!!!!!!!!!

magpie4ever

First Grade
Let's all band together and protect he feelings of the bloke who can still walk and play league and blame the crippled bloke... :roll:

What a disgraceful comment. Some people should have a real hard look at themselves.

I made a comment that if Newcastle was advising their players to flip, (as reported) it was terrible advice and I stand by that, but turning that into blaming Alex is disgusting.

This was a terrible accident and there will many victims (Alex, his family and friends, the Melbourne players and their families, the Newcastle coaching staff etc)

Danish

Referee
Why does anyone have to take the blame ?

Because Mckinnon is going to need millions of dollars just to live a relatively normal life from here on in. Someone is going to need to fund that, and I for one don't think that should be Mckinnon or his family.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
There will surely be some sort of trust set up by the Knights and/or the NRL that provides ongoing assistance to McKinnon and his family.

Springs

First Grade
And to those giving shit to McLean. Pull your heads in. Imagine if you had accidentally caused a serious injury but all you could hear is cowards condemning you for it.
Go lead the case against him if you want to continue being f**king pieces of shit.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Because Mckinnon is going to need millions of dollars just to live a relatively normal life from here on in. Someone is going to need to fund that, and I for one don't think that should be Mckinnon or his family.

Do you rationally think ANYONE thinks it should be Mckinnon and his family?

elbusto

Coach
No - we are just assigning blame.
Something that will occur later in the piece anyway.
If you think its going to go down as blameless you are deluded.
Judge and jury behind a keyboard - what a warrior you are Ulysses (the correct spelling)

Springs

First Grade

The Men of League will do all they can. So will the NRL and the Knights.

Oh don't worry the courts will make sure of it. Every lawyer in the country is saying "let me sue them":lol:

You dirty disgusting human even bring humour to this anyway.

Do you realise this poor boy has no movement neck down!

Your worse then an animal.

On topic gutted for Alex and praying for a miracle.

Danish

Referee
Do you rationally think ANYONE thinks it should be Mckinnon and his family?

For some reason a lot of people think it should be the NRL or the knights. Why are they more responsible for it than the man who committed the act that led to the injury?

I don't expect them to bankrupt Mclean over it but if he is a decent human he'll offer a percentage of his wages for the rest of his career to Mckinnon.

eozsmiles

Bench
Why so negative? For everyone's sake especially McKinnons we need to be positive

It will happen in good time. People are angry and sad (me included) but in time everyone will look forward and be philisophical. Alex is a very young man who still has much to offer, and we have no idea what medical advances are possible in the (hopefully near) future. Naturally, it's just a bit hard to think about that at the moment.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member

Like any occupation a worker is covered under workers compensation , so his family wont be left to cover the costs. Although yes there can be a shortfall which im sure will be made up from donations if necessary.
Anyway id like to be positive and hope he fights hard to reclaim as much mobility as possible and live a happy and fulfilling life .

taxidriver

Coach
Horrible tragedy

Just horrible

Also feel for Maclean, doing what he was coached to do but it just went wrong

Does this happen if Bellamy hadn't destroyed the defensive side of the game? I don't think so

This is horrific news if true. It's been 3 and a half decades since John Farragher's horrible injury which left him a quadriplegic, and his story is one that many fans today, even those who weren't born at the time, still know about.

I hope McKinnon is afforded all of the assistance he requires, particularly financially, from the NRL in his treatment now, and for the rest of his life. This is a truly saddening and very sombering event that will deeply effect many people in the country.

I send my best wishes and deepest condolences to Alex McKinnon and his family, but I also hope he never gives up on trying to live as full a life as he possibly can from here on in. He sounds like a great kid and he deserves so much better.

I also feel for Jordan McLean. This young kid is now going to be haunted by this for the rest of his life. It was an ugly tackle but definitely not one aimed to make a player a quadriplegic. We've all seen many other sides make similar tackles, or worse in our lives on numerous occasions and not witnessed a result where a player has ended up quadriplegic (and some of those were intentional).

There are no winners here and there are no criminals. This is just a truly unfortunate, sad, depressing situation which I hope that the greater Rugby League community gets behind.

So very very sad right now.

wonderful post. Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts