What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulysseus

Bench
I've also read along these lines. Science these days is beyond belief .....Hopefully there can be some hope for the kid.

It's not an isolated instance and this course of action needs to be tested / thoroughly investigated.
The thing is anyone in this particular situation will roll the dice no matter the consequences.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just heard the news, gutted for the lad. I have worked in a quad unit and the next 12 months will be a massive physical and psychological battle for him. Hopefully those clever scientists will come up with something in the years ahead that can help.

If there is one thing at least he is an NRL player and will be financially well supported. Many of the kids I worked with did not have that and faced very bleak futures.

Danish

Referee
Now that we know what he is up against, how can we go about getting some fund raising started for Alex I'm sure the knights will arrange something themselves, but the more the better I say.

Off the top of my head a charity auction with all proceeds going to Alex and his family (or if they refuse the cash then to applicable charities and the men of league). I have a few bits of memorabilia that I'd be happy to donate and I'm sure plenty of people on here would too. We could all harass the marketing departments of each of our clubs and get them to put up some items too (signed jerseys, etc).

little_aza

Juniors
Makes you just feel sick and empty and numb. NRL is so secondary now...that poor kid has to live the rest of his life not being able to move...absolutely devastating.

After hearing a bit about him this week, it sounds like he had bags of potential and would have done well...it's just heartbreaking.

Not only is his career, being the primary focus of his life for the majority of his life, is over...but his basic functioning as a human being has been snatched away.

I'd have no hesitation in giving my left nut (under anesthetic) for quadriplegics to walk again, exemplified perfectly this week by that poor b*stard Alex McKinnon.

Ulysseus

Bench
I am sure a reputable fund raising mechanism will occur within the near future.
If someone reputable on the forum wants to get one cranking then there would be no shortage of cash donations at the ready.

elbusto

Coach
Reading the news articles about this the situation is not completely lost. He has been warned he may never walk again but not told he never will.

There is hope and medical advances in the next few years cannot be discounted.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Now that we know what he is up against, how can we go about getting some fund raising started for Alex I'm sure the knights will arrange something themselves, but the more the better I say.

Off the top of my head a charity auction with all proceeds going to Alex and his family (or if they refuse the cash then to applicable charities and the men of league). I have a few bits of memorabilia that I'd be happy to donate and I'm sure plenty of people on here would too. We could all harass the marketing departments of each of our clubs and get them to put up some items too (signed jerseys, etc).

Absolutely. I'd chip in for sure-plenty would.

Ulysseus

Bench
Reading the news articles about this the situation is not completely lost. He has been warned he may never walk again but not told he never will.

There is hope and medical advances in the next few years cannot be discounted.

Stem cells FTW

Ulysseus

Bench
One of the more senior forumites should set up an account that we can slip some money into.
Have a corresponding thread where amounts are pledged.

Mortar

Juniors
Sad news for a young bloke. Hope it improves with time, wont be the first time that the docs have got it wrong.

But this thread has shown that dragon supporters are the scummiest merkins around. Pull your f**king heads you pricks.

Noname36

First Grade
Yep.
Don't give up hope, doctors do say these things as the worst case scenario but McKinnon and his family shouldn't give up hope.

True. Working in the medical field myself, and having had a moment to digest it, I find it very hard to believe that he would have been given a permanent diagnosis of quadriplegia this soon. I'd say he was probably given that diagnosis at this stage based on his current status but that doesn't mean he won't be able to regain some movement in the future.

I hope so anyway...and that's all we have now really...hope.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
How come he was able to move his arm immediately after?
We can only hope that the severity of his condition can vary, and that he's at the lower end.

I have no medical knowledge of quadriplegia at all but let's just hope he can walk again or at least regain movement of his arms.

Dragons01

First Grade
What is wrong with people? Even in a thread as sad as this it gets reduced to name calling and insults by some.

We are all in shock over this, so imagine what Alex and his family are going through. Those calling for McLean to be virtually hung need to take a good look at themselves. Now is not the time or place. Sometimes in life terribly sad tragic things happen and the people involved including McLean are left to deal with it for the rest of their lives.

I don't think anyone could in all honesty say that any player would want to cause this type of damage to another player. If McLean and the other Storm players could take it back they would but you can't and no matter how many rules or laws you have in place in the heat of the moment in a split second things can go wrong.

No matter what suspension McLean is given it will in no way help Alex McKinnon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts