What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
Stop fighting you f**king lowlife scum. It's certainly not the time for hurling insults at one another and fighting about the irrelevant issues here. Show a bit of respect.

Ulysseus

Bench
Horrible tragedy

Just horrible

Also feel for Maclean, doing what he was coached to do but it just went wrong

Does this happen if Bellamy hadn't destroyed the defensive side of the game? I don't think so

I would be kind of hoping he wasn't coached to lift between the legs.

Swarzey

Bench
After allowing it to sink...I'm just numb. Sick feeling in my gut, no idea what to think of it. Just numb.

Was the injury caused by accident? - yes
Was the accident caused by illegal play? - yes
Was the illegal play intentional? - No
Have there been previous examples of a similar illegal play, that have not caused such harm, that might be deemed intentional - Yes (Inu/Ingliss)

Thats it put simple. But given that it seems likely an illegal tackle means someone will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair changes the game completley. Personally i see it as a total accident - if anything, circumstances are themselves to blame. Circumstances that could potentially occur in most games of footy that are played in any adult version of the game, anywhere around the world.
Lets face it, a good proportion of the game is about "hurting" your opponent, and gaining a physical edge. People will get hurt, intentional or not.

What if Ingliss was parslysed by Inu? Heaps more intent in that tackle, if you ask me. Heaps more intent in tackles every week.

I'm really hoping the Footy Show comes to the party and runs an Alex McKinnon telethon because I am wanting to help raise a great some of cash to make his life and his families lives easier with recovery and general living.

To hear that a player has been diagnosed to a most likely quadraplegic state for the rest of his life is numb beyond believe and there must be a light ahead for Alex and anyone else who suffers from the inability to walk or recovery in order to do so.

Beetlejuice

Juniors
Last year when the whole ASADA situation came out, it was called "the darkest day in Australian sport"

That was nothing. These are the dark days.

Yoda

Juniors
I sincerely hope he can get in touch with John Farragher who has every reason to hate the world yet he's one of the nicest and most positive blokes you'll ever meet. Penrith and the rugby league have really looked after him and I'm sure the Knights and the NRL will do the same for Alex.

derp

Juniors
For some reason a lot of people think it should be the NRL or the knights. Why are they more responsible for it than the man who committed the act that led to the injury?

I don't expect them to bankrupt Mclean over it but if he is a decent human he'll offer a percentage of his wages for the rest of his career to Mckinnon.

Don't the clubs or the NRL have insurance for this type of incident? If not they f**king should have.

Shorty

Staff member
Stop fighting you f**king lowlife scum. It's certainly not the time for hurling insults at one another and fighting about the irrelevant issues here. Show a bit of respect.

Yep.
Don't give up hope, doctors do say these things as the worst case scenario but McKinnon and his family shouldn't give up hope.

Ulysseus

Bench
I believe a person received stem cells for a similar issue and the results were beyond expectation.
I am not that type of doctor so maybe someone with a bit of knowledge in that area could explain it further but it was in India or one of those countries where the procedure occurred - it was on 60 minutes and it was an Australian guy.

Hmmmmm
Everyone knows its against the rules to lift between the legs.
To then do it anyway is a completely voluntary decision.

I know it might be a stretch for you, but the point was that was it intentional for the tackled player to land on his head? Only a dickhead would argue yes.

BranVan3000

Coach
I see McLean like someone who is doing 80 in a school zone and hits a kid who runs out on the street. It's not necessarily the falt of the driver and yes they will have emotional scars from the incident, but they never should have been speeding in a school zone and they deserve relevant punishment.

Tayjack

Juniors
Don't the clubs or the NRL have insurance for this type of incident? If not they f**king should have.

Seriously who gives a flying duck if they do
Or they don't, if you have a f....Ing clue how clubs work, an injury like this to someone like him, will see the club look after him for the rest of his life. Missing the conclusion here pal you are.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I believe a person received stem cells for a similar issue and the results were beyond expectation.
I am not that type of doctor so maybe someone with a bit of knowledge in that area could explain it further but it was in India or one of those countries where the procedure occurred - it was on 60 minutes and it was an Australian guy.

I've also read along these lines. Science these days is beyond belief .....Hopefully there can be some hope for the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.