What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is horrific news if true. It's been 3 and a half decades since John Farragher's horrible injury which left him a quadriplegic, and his story is one that many fans today, even those who weren't born at the time, still know about.

I hope McKinnon is afforded all of the assistance he requires, particularly financially, from the NRL in his treatment now, and for the rest of his life. This is a truly saddening and very sombering event that will deeply effect many people in the country.

I send my best wishes and deepest condolences to Alex McKinnon and his family, but I also hope he never gives up on trying to live as full a life as he possibly can from here on in. He sounds like a great kid and he deserves so much better.

I also feel for Jordan McLean. This young kid is now going to be haunted by this for the rest of his life. It was an ugly tackle but definitely not one aimed to make a player a quadriplegic. We've all seen many other sides make similar tackles, or worse in our lives on numerous occasions and not witnessed a result where a player has ended up quadriplegic (and some of those were intentional).

There are no winners here and there are no criminals. This is just a truly unfortunate, sad, depressing situation which I hope that the greater Rugby League community gets behind.

So very very sad right now.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I feel sick hearing this....such a sad sad event, and gronk is correct, the NRL - rugby league, men of league must look after him and family for life, that said, reading about the community he comes from - and the type of people they are -this wont be a problem

I think this game has the community that will - from men in league, clubs, fans, I'm sure we'll do everything we can.

DC_fan

Coach
Tragic terrible news, I wanted to believe it would all be OK despite the gnawing feeling in the back of my mind all week itd end like this

I feel sick hearing this....such a sad sad event, and gronk is correct, the NRL - rugby league, men of league must look after him and family for life, that said, reading about the community he comes from - and the type of people they are -this wont be a problem

I think the Knights and the good people within our game, of which there is many, will look after him. He will not have to ask for anything.

Sad news.

BranVan3000

Coach
I hope he sues the NRL and I hope he gets PAID. He is going to need it. The NRL is going to show all the support in the world for the next year, the next three years.... But where will they be in ten years? My wager is McKinnon will be forgotten and spoken of in past tense, the support will dry up and he will only have his family and friends. He needs to get paid a lifetime of potential earnings and then double it

BranVan3000

Coach
I just pray at the very least he regains control of his upper body. He was moving his left arm after the injury?

The difference between quadriplegic and paraplegic is so huge, he will have absolutely no autonomy in his life has a quadriplegic. The outlook for a paraplegic is so much better.

elbusto

Coach
http://inagist.com/search?q=Alex McKinnon

FOX SPORTS News @FOXSportsNews
.@NRLKnights player Alex McKinnon diagnosed as a quadriplegic and warned by doctors he may never walk again #NRL

Newcastle Knights? Alex McKinnon has reportedly been diagnosed as a quadriplegic

148252-3a598544-b8aa-11e3-8a33-c23c348170ff.jpg

Alex McKinnon has been diagnosed as a quadriplegic. Source: Liam Driver / News Limited

KNIGHTS player Alex McKinnon has been diagnosed as a quadriplegic, a week after being hospitalised in a tackle against Melbourne Storm.

Channel 9 reported the tragic news on Monday night.
McKinnon suffered the injury in a tackle last Monday while playing for the Knights against the Storm.
He has since undergone two operations to have a disc removed and to fuse his C4 and C5 vertebrae together.
The second operation also involved a bone graft where a piece was taken from his hip to help support his neck.
Quadriplegia is caused by damage to the spinal cord at a high level, C1 to C7.
It is a paralysis that results in the partial or total loss of the use of all a sufferer?s limbs and torso.

A statement released by the Knights on Sunday said McKinnon had his assisted ventilation removed and could now communicate with his family.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s-a-quadriplegic/story-e6frf3su-1226870148278

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ritson's incident was different, he had a re-existing condition which flared up when he got dumped on his head.

DC_fan

Coach
I hope he sues the NRL and I hope he gets PAID. He is going to need it. The NRL is going to show all the support in the world for the next year, the next three years.... But where will they be in ten years? My wager is McKinnon will be forgotten and spoken of in past tense, the support will dry up and he will only have his family and friends. He needs to get paid a lifetime of potential earnings and then double it

Why so negative? For everyone's sake especially McKinnons we need to be positive

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Someone jog my memory; how much stick did John Lomax get for the tackle that ended Adam Ritson's career in 1996?

Lomax got an 8 week suspension for that tackle (Which as El Diablo said, probably saved his life). It wasn't the tackle that ended Ritson's career, the brain scans he had as a result of the tackle revealed cysts on his brain.

Ritson then tried to sue Lomax but didn't have much luck so he sued the Raiders and an out-of-court settlement was reached.

derp

Juniors
Now this is the blackest day in australian sport

poor kid

every team should retire the 16 jersey for the year out of respect.

eozsmiles

Bench
Someone jog my memory; how much stick did John Lomax get for the tackle that ended Adam Ritson's career in 1996?

Not sure if it ended his career or not? I believe Ritson was found to have a brain tumour during a scan after the Lomax tackle. In a strange way, it might have saved his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts