What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alex McKinnon possibly Quadriplegic - Mclean guilty of dangerous throw - 7 weeks

How many weeks?

• 1-2

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • 9+

Votes: 26 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noname36

First Grade
Got MOTM in Cows Vs Titans
Used time with microphone to wish McKinnon all the best etc.

Yeah, I saw that. When Campese was interviewed on the radio last night he also went out of his way to wish Mckinnon well and congratulated the Knights on their win. Both are class acts.

This is horrific news if true. It's been 3 and a half decades since John Farragher's horrible injury which left him a quadriplegic, and his story is one that many fans today, even those who weren't born at the time, still know about.

I hope McKinnon is afforded all of the assistance he requires, particularly financially, from the NRL in his treatment now, and for the rest of his life. This is a truly saddening and very sombering event that will deeply effect many people in the country.

I send my best wishes and deepest condolences to Alex McKinnon and his family, but I also hope he never gives up on trying to live as full a life as he possibly can from here on in. He sounds like a great kid and he deserves so much better.

I also feel for Jordan McLean. This young kid is now going to be haunted by this for the rest of his life. It was an ugly tackle but definitely not one aimed to make a player a quadriplegic. We've all seen many other sides make similar tackles, or worse in our lives on numerous occasions and not witnessed a result where a player has ended up quadriplegic (and some of those were intentional).

There are no winners here and there are no criminals. This is just a truly unfortunate, sad, depressing situation which I hope that the greater Rugby League community gets behind.

So very very sad right now.

Great post madunit :clap:

A lot of grubs in this thread using this tragic incident as a springboard for petty arguments and stupid agendas against a club.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Thoughts and Prayers, to Alex and his family, but don't give up son, we as fans, your family and team mates, we will be with you every step of the way, it will be a long and hard road but please never give up.

seanoff

Juniors
Poor bastard.

Hopefully the damage is able to repair itself or be repaired.

Wasn't hopeful after i learnt he was being assisted to breathe. Not a good sign.

The NRL is going to be forced to act on tackles after this whether they want to or not.

Very sad.

Joely01

Bench
Devistating news, every single fan of rugby league is touched and has read every single bit of information regarding Alex since it has happened.
I believe the knights boys went to Melbourne to see him... That would have been tough.

It's one of those things you just don't know what to say..
Just feel so much for him and his family, and te knights as a club, every interview I've seen a knights player/ official involved in it has been hard to watch. Bedsy on the Thursday footy show and Harrigan on the Sunday footy show could hardly talk.

Best part about this game though, is when things like this happen. It doesn't matter what club you follow everyone gets behind each other and becomes one big family.

MacDougall

First Grade
This is probably one of the darkest weeks in Rugby League ever. Poor kid.

I don't think we need to turn it into a game of what the saddest event was but do I have to remind you of the three suicides that occurred between the 2012 and 2013 NRL season?

At least Alex has his life, and hope, we should be thankful for that.

DeeJ

Bench
Poor kid, hope a miracle happens and he can get some function again. I didn't think he could play footy again but I hoped he would be able to walk and so forth after rehab.

Tayjack

Juniors
Why?

You disagree the style of defense that dominates the game contributed to this?

There's nothing to disagree about here- the player in question suffered an horrific injury in an accident on a football field. It stops there, if a player dislocates his finger it is an accident, opposite ends of the scale - no tackle, no lifting, no wrestling caused this what so ever. End of this discussion taxi driver.

Swarzey

Bench
Well...

Alex McKinnon faces the fight of his life

Newcastle Knights forward Alex McKinnon has woken to news from doctors that his life may never be the same. But those closest to the inspirational 22-year-old are hopeful his condition will eventually improve as he recovers from surgery and starts to receive intensive treatment.

Neither his family nor the club would be drawn by television reports last night that his spinal injuries may have left him a quadriplegic. ‘‘Alex is in the first phase of his recovery and we all hope his progress continues,’’ Knights chief executive Matthew Gidley said on Monday night.

McKinnon had been placed in a coma after breaking two vertebrae in a tackle against the Storm in Melbourne eight days ago. Reports suggest it will be a battle for him to walk again, although club officials say it is too early to make an accurate diagnosis. Having had ventilation removed on Sunday, McKinnon has been able to communicate with his family for the first time since his accident.

On Monday, McKinnon was visited by coach Wayne Bennett at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, according to the Nine Network. His parents continue to keep a bedside vigil while McKinnon’s girlfriend, Teigan Power, has reportedly returned to Newcastle. Nine’s reporter Neil Breen announced second-rower has been told he is a quadriplegic.

Quadriplegia is a condition of paralysis in which a person loses complete or partial use of all limbs and the torso.

The definition itself doesn’t mean someone won’t improve with treatment or time.
The rugby league family and wider Hunter community is praying for McKinnon and his loved ones. ‘‘All our updates in relation to Alex are guided by his family and doctors only,’’ Gidley added.

Nine reported that McKinnon had begun intensive physiotherapy and mentioned that his condition could improve. ‘‘McKinnon and his family have been told he is a quadriplegic,’’ Breen said in his report.

‘‘Years of rehab and care will hopefully improve things, as his spinal cord is not severed.’’
McKinnon’s first words to his parents were apparently: ‘‘Can I have a lemonade? I’m dry’’.
McKinnon was not allowed to swallow the soft drink, so the lemonade was dabbed on his lips. The next morning after the match McKinnon underwent emergency surgery, which consisted of a disc removal at his C4 and C5 vertebrae and anterior fusion, where a bone graft or metal is used to hold the vertebrae together.

McKinnon also reportedly had surgery on Thursday night to insert a steel plate and a bone graft from his hip over the damaged vertebrae to protect the spinal cord. The Knights last week launched a #RiseForAlex campaign through social media.

On Sunday, more than 18,000 people flocked into Hunter Stadium to show their support for the ‘‘young lad from Aberdeen’’ when the Knights faced the Sharks. The team played strongly in his honour, scoring an emotional 30-0 win over Cronulla and Bennett admitted he was close to tears in the pre-game huddle. McKinnon’s family have thanked the club, community and media for their support.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ces-the-fight-of-his-life-20140331-35u3y.html

Channel 9 and their f**king scum, woeful, pathetic "journalism". So f**king sick to death of this station and their desperate attempts to get any sort of f**king coverage. This is one of those moments that doesn't need to become another f**king media circus. I thought the MH370 report on 60 minutes and using someone's grief for ratings was bad enough but this just once again proves how full of f**king shit they truly are.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I hope the game has significant medical and income protection for the players. It is something I've wondered about before.

Terrible news even if it isn't permanent. One can only hope that he can recover even if only partially. Tough times for all involved.

BunniesMan

Immortal
With the new tv rights deal there is no excuse. We've doubled our income overnight, if there isn't enough money to take care of Mckinnon properly then somebody is doing something very wrong.

Rodney

Juniors
I thought all players we're insured.
Im not sure whether they've got income cover, but they'd at least be covered for medical expenses. It'd be stupid not to

Evenflow

Bench
Great post madunit :clap:

A lot of grubs in this thread using this tragic incident as a springboard for petty arguments and stupid agendas against a club.

Couldn't agree more with both these posts. Madunit's goes without saying and TT's is also spot on in that the usual petty wankers are putting their hatred towards a club over what the big issue is here. Says more about these f**kits than anything really. You can bet your last cent that the very same tossers wouldn't be carrying on like they are and calling for his if it were one of their own that commited the tackle.

Says more about them than what it does anyone else. Like every single person here i'm sincerely gutted for Alex and hope like christ he can get at the very least some sort of life back. From all accounts he's a great young man and it's just f**king cruel it's happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.