What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the $$$ but no one to sign

MrT

Juniors
A lot has been said on different threads, all alerting us to the same thing. We have all the $$$ but no quality players to sign. Well there are a few out there but they will be demanding overs. This has come about due to two things;

1. Salary cap rise 600k
2. Gold Coast titans - extra 3.9m

No club has let go or is letting go the quality of players we are. So the question must be asked have we shot ourselves in the foot? Only time will tell but I say we have. Morrisson re-signed for 300k for a few more years would be a bargain right now.

Some people are saying Souths are overpaying for Widders - 240k, well when you adjust for the increase in the cap, are they overpaying or did they land a bargain, a player we worked on for over 4 years and finally developed him into one of the best impact players in the game.

Players will become more loyal now, clubs having a 3.9m cap will be able to offer their players a larger salary. Good Players will be happy getting 250- 300k and staying with their junior club instead of going to open market for more. Poore and Sims are good examples of players that could have got more on the open market.

I feel that the Eels shouldn't panic and pay overs for players. I believe we should pay a little over for the next crop of emerging talent, eg target good young fowards and halves from Flegg and PL. If we miss out this year, we definately have to start targetting players who are off contract the year after eg O'Meley.

I've had my say, I'm just very concerned at the direction of next year. We're going to have one of the best backlines in the game, but the halves and fowards are still a large ???????????????

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
No club has let go or is letting go the quality of players we are.

you know, I kinda enyoyed your post until i saw the above line.

Tigers: Prince, Lafranchi and Skandalis

Saints: Barret, Baily, Timmins, Greenshields, Best

Roosters: Cross, Morely possably Wing.

Penrith: Campbell

Melbourne: Kidwell, Webster, Hill

Cronulla: Vagana, Bailey

get my drift? ;-)

CrazyEel

Bench
eelavation said:
you know, I kinda enyoyed your post until i saw the above line.

Tigers: Prince, Lafranchi and Skandalis

Saints: Barret, Baily, Timmins, Greenshields, Best

Roosters: Cross, Morely possably Wing.

Penrith: Campbell

Melbourne: Kidwell, Webster, Hill

Cronulla: Vagana, Bailey

get my drift? ;-)
Other than Prince you have proven his point as those listed won't be missed by those clubs (rorters excepted) as they have better talent coming through.

In any case, we only need a few select positions and Burns (Hill), Creagh and Asotasi would fill them nicely.

dazeely

First Grade
just spend it on beer for before, during and end of season piss ups (mad Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur, Frid, Sat, Sun). They have started this year - just ask piggy and tim.

Angry_eel

First Grade
CrazyEel said:
Other than Prince you have proven his point as those listed won't be missed by those clubs (rorters excepted) as they have better talent coming through.

In any case, we only need a few select positions and Burns (Hill), Creagh and Asotasi would fill them nicely.
We have the talent too but the choice of smith has made some of that talent angry. Hayne was lucky to get in after smith went off. Williams scored on debut but we opted for burt. Green wasn't given a chance eventhough he was the only proper 5/8 in both the grades.

in the past we let go of some of the big name propes at other clubs.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
CrazyEel said:

Yeah, the Dragons have a better player than Bailey coming through don't they :sarcasm:. 80 minute props are a dime a dozen at their club :roll:.

I think you're overreacting on everything.

CrazyEel

Bench
Angry_eel said:
We have the talent too but the choice of smith has made some of that talent angry. Hayne was lucky to get in after smith went off. Williams scored on debut but we opted for burt. Green wasn't given a chance eventhough he was the only proper 5/8 in both the grades.

in the past we let go of some of the big name propes at other clubs.
Blake is a 1/2 that we have tried to make into 5/8th and who are the big name props we let go? I can't recall any.

CrazyEel

Bench
ParraDude_Jay said:
Yeah, the Dragons have a better player than Bailey coming through don't they :sarcasm:. 80 minute props are a dime a dozen at their club :roll:.

I think you're overreacting on everything.
Yeah they do, that's why they kept Poore and Wicks and let Bailey go. :roll:
Whatever :crazy:

Angry_eel

First Grade
CrazyEel said:
Blake is a 1/2 that we have tried to make into 5/8th and who are the big name props we let go? I can't recall any.
clinton, tronc(or was it souhtern). Imagine if we still had clinton, he rip in + we have fui. wow.

CrazyEel

Bench
Angry_eel said:
clinton, tronc(or was it souhtern). Imagine if we still had clinton, he rip in + we have fui. wow.
Clinton was pretty ordinary when he was here but agree he has turned it around at the panthers. I think the other you are referring to is Sargeant who is ok but nothing special.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
CrazyEel said:
joel clinton and jason cayless weren't to bad neither was paul gallen.But at least we still have mickey vella and wags :crazy:

The Colonel

Immortal
Tronc? Never been here. Neither has Southern.

Joel Clinton was on his last chance when he left the Eels and credits that for getting him to do something when he joined the Panthers.

Stagger eel

Staff member
CrazyEel said:

Craze, what's been the Roosters biggest problem this year?? that's right their pack and who leaves them?? their enforcer, and who's their enforcer?? that's right a bloke named Adrian.

CrazyEel

Bench
hineyrulz said:
joel clinton and jason cayless weren't to bad neither was paul gallen.But at least we still have mickey vella and wags :crazy:
Ouch, that hurt, no need to mention Vella and wags :lol:
I forgot about Jason, he and Joel would be pretty handy right now :(

hineyrulz

Post Whore
CrazyEel said:
Ouch, that hurt, no need to mention Vella and wags :lol:
I forgot about Jason, he and Joel would be pretty handy right now :(
dont worry it hurts me just as much as hurts you :x

CrazyEel

Bench
eelavation said:
Craze, what's been the Roosters biggest problem this year?? that's right their pack and who leaves them?? their enforcer, and who's their enforcer?? that's right a bloke named Adrian.
Nope, they have far bigger problems than that mate. ;-)
Morley is not as effective as he once was and without the support around him makes no difference anyway as you quite rightly point out has been evidenced this year. So what diff does it make?

Stagger eel

Staff member
CrazyEel said:
Nope, they have far bigger problems than that mate. ;-)
Morley is not as effective as he once was and without the support around him makes no difference anyway as you quite rightly point out has been evidenced this year. So what diff does it make?

but he's still their best forward.

The Colonel

Immortal
Still a big loss for them. At the end of the day players are moving around left right and centre. Until midnight tomorrow night we can't even sign them under the AT rules. Who knows what exactly the next two weeks will bring