What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the $$$ but no one to sign

CrazyEel

Bench
LOL, true colonel but we all know no one will be signed after midnight tomorrow that hasn't already agreed to terms :crazy:

The Colonel

Immortal
CrazyEel said:
LOL, true colonel but we all know no one will be signed after midnight tomorrow that hasn't already agreed to terms :crazy:

Do we? I wouldn't bet on that just yet..... ;-)

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't hold high hopes for next season in terms of important signings.

And then there's the fact we'll have to play next season with practically the same team sans a few players...Oh yay.

The Colonel

Immortal
Eelementary said:
I don't hold high hopes for next season in terms of important signings.

And then there's the fact we'll have to play next season with practically the same team sans a few players...Oh yay.

Most on here have wanted the likes of Cordoba, Keating, Taia and Hauraki to be given a chance for some time. Seems they may well get that chance. Why is it such a bad thing now? If we manage to strengthen our depth and pick up a decent forward or two in the process we are better off then this season thats for certain.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just haven't been impressed with Taia and Cordoba in First Grade. And that's what concerns me. The only forwards we've had come through the ranks that have made any sort of impact were Afamasaga and Tsoulos - one is unfit and I don't know what's up with Jack.

The Eels seem to be able to produce quality backs, but their forwards...And it's what we need. Some good quality forwards.

CrazyEel

Bench
The Colonel said:
Most on here have wanted the likes of Cordoba, Keating, Taia and Hauraki to be given a chance for some time. Seems they may well get that chance. Why is it such a bad thing now? If we manage to strengthen our depth and pick up a decent forward or two in the process we are better off then this season thats for certain.
Agree 100%. New coach with a more free flowing style built around a blend of experience and youth will hopefully give us what we didn't have this year, enthuisiasm and attitude.

The Colonel

Immortal
And by all accounts the club is chasing them. But of course the fans in this joint can't help but over react. The players we have aren't good enough for everyone so we get rid of them. Then we get upset because the club is getting rid of players but we don't seem to be signing anyone. There would have bound to have been complaints if we had signed Poore and Sims because we should have chased Asotasi instead.

We'll just have to wait and see what comes of the next few weeks. As I've said July or August is the time to worry if we haven't signed anyone. Not the day before the deadline finishes.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Do I reserve the right to be unexcited, as a fan of this team, for 2007 and beyond?

Because, as far as I see it:

* we've released Morris, Widders, Morrison, an up-and-comer in Williams, apparently our most gifted junior in Green, and perhaps more; and

* we've signed (or will sign) some players - but will they be good enough?

I find it quite discouraging that players we've apaprently expressed interest in have looked elsewhere. Or that we haven't expressed interest in players we perhaps should have.

If we manage to sign one quality player, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But at the same time, I'm puzzled and unimpressed with Hagan's ideas. We'll release guys like Morris only to sign blokes like Tighe, methinks.

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd be very happy to sign Tighe. Is a very strong centre/five eight. We need some new blood in the club instead of sticking with what didn't work. I think people are just getting far to worked up about the fact they don't know whats going on.

CrazyEel

Bench
The Colonel said:
And by all accounts the club is chasing them. But of course the fans in this joint can't help but over react. The players we have aren't good enough for everyone so we get rid of them. Then we get upset because the club is getting rid of players but we don't seem to be signing anyone. There would have bound to have been complaints if we had signed Poore and Sims because we should have chased Asotasi instead.

We'll just have to wait and see what comes of the next few weeks. As I've said July or August is the time to worry if we haven't signed anyone. Not the day before the deadline finishes.
LOL, I'm not worried about signing anyone and I am one of the few that agrees with the cleanout apart from one or two that have apparently escaped the broom ;-)
I may be senile but am quite optimistic about next year :D

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't like this feeling of not knowing what's going on, and seeing us not re-sign guys who wanted to stay and are valued members (or were) of our team. I know I can't change that, though.

But I'd hate for us to release quality players and refill their vacant spots with Newcastle rejects.

The Colonel

Immortal
Maroubra Eel said:
Why do we have to lose Green. Can't we fit him under the cap?

I'm sure we can. It appears to be he is looking to head somewhere else. The club wants him but he is the one that doesn't seem to want to stay.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
To date the ones we have had haven't so whats the difference?

Well, Morrispn, Widders, Morris and all the other guys we're releasing or not re-signing took us to a Minor Premiership last season and, bar for a massive choke (which was attributable to the on and off-field staff) we would have made and maybe won the title last season.

Latest posts