What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All the $$$ but no one to sign

Eelementary

Post Whore
Absolutely nothing! lol

I see what you're saying. I just wish I had the same faith in Hagan as you.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It just makes it hard when there has been no positive news at all this year.

"Hey! Moimoi has been elected to play for NZ! Oh, no wait - that idiot DF won't let him play!"

And such.

Eelementary

Post Whore
CrazyEel said:
I said that in 1980 :lol:

:lol:

And yes, I believe it would have been worth it. This is not about the Eels, that fool Fitzgerald or anyone else - except for Fuifui and his career. And I think he would have jumped at the chance to play for NZ. And he may not get that chance again.

Eelementary said:
Do I reserve the right to be unexcited, as a fan of this team, for 2007 and beyond?

Because, as far as I see it:

* we've released Morris, Widders, Morrison, an up-and-comer in Williams, apparently our most gifted junior in Green, and perhaps more; and

* we've signed (or will sign) some players - but will they be good enough?

I find it quite discouraging that players we've apaprently expressed interest in have looked elsewhere. Or that we haven't expressed interest in players we perhaps should have.

If we manage to sign one quality player, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But at the same time, I'm puzzled and unimpressed with Hagan's ideas. We'll release guys like Morris only to sign blokes like Tighe, methinks.

Tighe is avery good player. Depends if he wants to Play under Hagan.

V1er

Juniors
Tighe was very good for the knights last year, hasnt been able to get a run in first grade this year. i certainly wouldnt mind if we picked him up

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't mean Tighe per se.

Just - why release some of our best over the years and sign "Nerwey rejects"?

James_Hardie

Juniors
MrT said:
I feel that the Eels shouldn't panic and pay overs for players. I believe we should pay a little over for the next crop of emerging talent, eg target good young fowards and halves from Flegg and PL. If we miss out this year, we definately have to start targetting players who are off contract the year after eg O'Meley.

my only problem with paying a little overs for juniors is that you pay player x too much now, you will always have to pay him overs when ever his contract gets renewed. Also we can end up spending all this extra money on developing a guy who leaves and plays elsewhere.

mickdo

Coach
James_Hardie said:
my only problem with paying a little overs for juniors is that you pay player x too much now, you will always have to pay him overs when ever his contract gets renewed. Also we can end up spending all this extra money on developing a guy who leaves and plays elsewhere.
That all depends how you structure their payments. If we have bucketloads of $$$ to spend this year but noone big to spend it on, we could pay the other players more for next year, and then have their contracts drop back to a much lower figure for the following year(s). That would give them a higher overall amount, but not tie us up down the track when there are big names to sign...

The Engineers Room

First Grade
eelavation said:
you know, I kinda enyoyed your post until i saw the above line.

Tigers: Prince, Lafranchi and Skandalis

Saints: Barret, Baily, Timmins, Greenshields, Best

Roosters: Cross, Morely possably Wing.

Penrith: Campbell

Melbourne: Kidwell, Webster, Hill

Cronulla: Vagana, Bailey

get my drift? ;-)

How many in that list were allowed to negotiate before the announcement that the deadline would be scrapped?

Prince, Campbell and Bailey were all early season signings. Barrett made his intention clear fairly early on that he didn't want to re-sign. How many were actually not wanted by their club? It takes both sides to agree for a contract not just who the clubs want to re-sign

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Ref in Seat 196 said:
How many in that list were allowed to negotiate before the announcement that the deadline would be scrapped?

Prince, Campbell and Bailey were all early season signings. Barrett made his intention clear fairly early on that he didn't want to re-sign. How many were actually not wanted by their club? It takes both sides to agree for a contract not just who the clubs want to re-sign

the same goes with us and the players that we're releasing are no where near the sort of talent that I listed.

James_Hardie

Juniors
mickdo said:
That all depends how you structure their payments. If we have bucketloads of $$$ to spend this year but noone big to spend it on, we could pay the other players more for next year, and then have their contracts drop back to a much lower figure for the following year(s). That would give them a higher overall amount, but not tie us up down the track when there are big names to sign...

I know what you mean. I think that suits a guy who is established, like a Ben Kennedy or Matt Orford at Manly who are worth the same to the club this year as they are next year. But if you are 20 odd, world at your feet, are you likely to accept a deal where you get paid less later when you potentially will be worth more? I wouldn't.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I just haven't been impressed with Taia and Cordoba in First Grade. And that's what concerns me. The only forwards we've had come through the ranks that have made any sort of impact were Afamasaga and Tsoulos - one is unfit and I don't know what's up with Jack.

The Eels seem to be able to produce quality backs, but their forwards...And it's what we need. Some good quality forwards.

mate your to harsh on the kids... give them time

sooperdooper

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I don't like this feeling of not knowing what's going on, and seeing us not re-sign guys who wanted to stay and are valued members (or were) of our team. I know I can't change that, though.

But I'd hate for us to release quality players and refill their vacant spots with Newcastle rejects.

Your not meant to know whats going on....
you stress out to easily relax man

sooperdooper

First Grade
Eelementary said:
:lol:

And yes, I believe it would have been worth it. This is not about the Eels, that fool Fitzgerald or anyone else - except for Fuifui and his career. And I think he would have jumped at the chance to play for NZ. And he may not get that chance again.
why?
he isnt even a kiwi

Latest posts