What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Football players in the NRL?

BranVan3000

Coach
Erm, endurance?

That is like saying ....

"sprinters are all buff, but marathon runners are weedy dudes. do sprinters train better?"

:crazy:

This whole thread is in part based on the premise that NFL players don't have the endurance to play NRL. And as trained, most probably don't. They could sacrifice power for endurance though.
Why don't we train interchange players with power in mind then?

Squatdog

Juniors
so how do you explain metres gained running by the Quarter back?

How do you explain Running Backs changing direction?

They're not designed plays, but reactions to what happens as the play unfolds.

-What part of 'apart from the quarterback' did you not understand?

-Running Backs run according to the rigid, pre-determined set play, unless directed otherwise by the Quarterback.

-So yeah, you're not really helping yourself here.

You've just fundamentally described defence in rugby league there.

Ugh.

Once a Running Back receives the ball, the defence can LITERALLY ignore every other player and swarm them, because they will NEVER pass. In League you have to continually mark up and be aware of passing/offloads.

No comparison whatsoever.

I wanna know what planet you are on if you think in the NRL they don't call every play that happens.

They may not be able to pre-determin the result, but in NRL, every play from the first hit-up to the last chip and chase will be called by someone.

WTF are you talking about???

Much of the general play in League is spontaneous according to the situation, especially hitting the ball up.

In Padball, literally every single play is laboriously worked out before the game and memorised.

This is off topic but you do know Olympic (freestyle, Greco-roman) wrestling, is not the same as folkstyle (collegiate) wrestling right?

Very minor rule variations, not even vaguely at the same level of League vs. Union

macavity

Referee
Why don't we train interchange players with power in mind then?

Erm, we do - or at least some coaches do

Danny Wicks, Richie Fa'aoso, Fui Fui Moi Moi for most of his career....

Never heard of the impact forward? Bit of a Brian Smith specialty.

macavity

Referee
Trying to turn them around and train for endurance wont always work.

Of course not - hence my initial statement that linemen would probably never be able to cross over.

But this isn't black/white.

I get the feeling squatdog is a multi-troll.

Ulysseus

Bench
I think an NFL player tried his luck here before.

I thought it was Greg Smith with the Knights BUT apparently he wasn't actually an NFL player.................................. at all, as in he lied to get his gig with the Knights, plus he only played one game for them, and it was played very badly.

A former Oakland Raider by the name of Manfred Moore came over in the mid 70's.
Far from being a nuffie, he had won a championship (super bowl) and was not going that badly in league, he scored a try for Newtown to open their account in 1977 and was well liked, unsure why he left, some people say he found the game too hard, that is disputable, it might have been contractual.

http://www.rl1908.com/Rugby-League-News/manfred.htm

BranVan3000

Coach
Erm, we do - or at least some coaches do

Danny Wicks, Richie Fa'aoso, Fui Fui Moi Moi for most of his career....

Never heard of the impact forward? Bit of a Brian Smith specialty.

Are they actually trained with that in mind though? I mean I say an impact player in the NFL and you tell me of a fat f**k like Danny Wicks?:lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Take the best high school players and they would be great NRL players within a few years, of course no one would sign from high school as salaries are miniscule in comparison to what they could earn in NFL.

By end of college they wouldn;t be able to adapt on the whole. LB,RB,CB,WR and safeties would be the positions most likely to have the body shape, strength, mentality for RL imo.

lol at anyone who hasn't played Am football judging how tough it is or isn't.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Having spent a few weeks in the States recently and watching many NFL games, trust me, they'd fail disastrously at RL.

They have no imagination, no skill, no fitness, no nothing.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manfred Moore was the most successful Gridiron to league convert (Played for Newtown in the 70's I believe)

There were 2-3 players from the American side which toured Australia in the 50's. They played one season and quit.

Other than that, the only other one who comes close would be Paul Sironen who I believe was training in Hawaii to play grid Iron before he was picked up by Balmain (I'm not entirely certain of this so I wope someone can confirm/correct this story)

Greg Someone claimed to have played for Philadelphia when trying out for the Knights not so long ago.

He played one game before being found out to be full of sh*t.

Squatdog

Juniors
Does anyone have information on the College Padball player (at least one) who played in the 1993 Winfield Cup pre-season?

I had the Sevens and a couple of pre-season games on tape and watched it a few times back in the day.

Ulysseus

Bench
Manfred Moore was the most successful Gridiron to league convert (Played for Newtown in the 70's I believe)

There were 2-3 players from the American side which toured Australia in the 50's. They played one season and quit.

Other than that, the only other one who comes close would be Paul Sironen who I believe was training in Hawaii to play grid Iron before he was picked up by Balmain (I'm not entirely certain of this so I wope someone can confirm/correct this story)

Greg Someone claimed to have played for Philadelphia when trying out for the Knights not so long ago.

He played one game before being found out to be full of sh*t.

Yeah Sirro was in Hawaii, but he came home because they actually expected him to attend college classes.
So he came home, joined the police force and then got graded by Balmain.

And yes, Greg Smith only claimed to have played for the Philladelphia Eagles, he was full of sh*t.

Manfred Moore was discussed earlier, no idea where the f**k that guy is today.

Ulysseus

Bench
I'll see if I can find anything tonight for you

Don't worry dude, I don't think he is coming back over anytime soon and I don't think that many people will remember him.
I think John Singleton has moved on, considering that last person he brought over was Paris Hilton.
A step backwards in my opinion.

Interesting to note Singo was involved with the Jets all those years ago, dunno when he got out.
Maybe if he had stuck with them they'd still be here today, instead they went broke and never recovered enough to re-join the NSWRL in its top grade.

typicalfan

Coach
No NFL player in their right mind would ever play in Rugby League. They would expect more money the get currently to essentially take protective equiptment off to play a similar sport.

NFL players are looked after much better than ours are, they only play for a touch over 5 months, which is a season more Super Rugby size than NRL size.

The biggest challenge for a NFL athlete would be keeping up with the pace of an NRL game, many ex AF coaches have come out here and really acknowledged the pace both at training and in the game itself.

NFL players wouldn't make fantastic Rugby League players anyway, the best players in the game invariably don't die with the ball eg SBW, Beetson, Marshall etc. NFL players just don't have this implanted in them at all.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Its reasonably true.

I actually like the NFL, have started watching it more this season basically out of desperation for top flight contact sport after a several year hiatus, and I've yet to see much improvisation going on.

Certainly there is no improvisation in attack. Defensively linebackers and safeties have to do a lot of thinking on their feet, but even then that generally that just involves deciding on which man they think is going to receive the ball and who they need to cover.

You and many others in this thread need to watch the game more, its very apparent you have limited knowledge of the game.

As for the thread, laughable. The athletes are there are better, sorry to say it, but its true. They arent remotely close to being as fit as NRL players and most NFL players train for explosive short spurts and would need to drastically change their training regime and body composition to be able to play 80 minutes of RL, but someone like Chris Johnson, with the time, space and one-two defenders only to beat... frankly no one in the NRL in that situation would lay a hand on the bloke.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
I am sure Moore stated that positionally the game was very tough to adapt to. I think he also got injured during a game and that is where it ended.

ozjet1

NFL players in the NRL? Personally dont think they'd have the motor.

American Football competitors have an extremely specified training regimin. they dont train for a 'motor' that can run out a rugby league game. rugby league players dont train for a 'motor' that can run out an AFL game. their competitors bodies and energy pathways are built for the demands of their game - same as the training objectives for rugby league. then there is the specific skillsets of each game, and in the case of american football, each position.

typicalfan

Coach
Of
Don't tell me athletes like this couldn't play league. They would carve it up. The hits they take in gridiron are harder than the league hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQsV5R4E_gM

And the greatest fullback that never was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBk9YaTBo10
Of course they do, the protective gear gives them the luxury. Either way their bodies would not be used to punishment without protective gear. A running back does not have to make 10-15 tackles a game after making x amount of runs. A quarterback doesn't have to tackle TE sized forwards 20-30 times a game because they are targeted.

These are challenges simply not met in AF.

ozjet1

it'd be hard for these blokes to convert to rugby league, simply because by the time they know they cant make it into the NFL, they'll be in their early-20s - it's when players are drafted or signed as undrafted FAs into the league from college. 99.9% would consider uprooting and moving across the planet and go through all the crap of re-educating and trying to bust a gut for the skill set and demands of rugby league for 50k per year when theyve been working on a career of millions as pointless. why would anyone bother. it's a real drop in ambition. besides, most basically have degrees so would probably earn more than the average meathead rugby league player here in jobs in the US.