What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American Football players in the NRL?

Ladmate

Bench
Darren McFadden and Adrian Peterson would make good centres. Two off the top of my head. Fast, strong and breaks a lot of tackles.

Squatdog

Juniors
You and many others in this thread need to watch the game more, its very apparent you have limited knowledge of the game.

As for the thread, laughable. The athletes are there are better, sorry to say it, but its true. They arent remotely close to being as fit as NRL players and most NFL players train for explosive short spurts and would need to drastically change their training regime and body composition to be able to play 80 minutes of RL, but someone like Chris Johnson, with the time, space and one-two defenders only to beat... frankly no one in the NRL in that situation would lay a hand on the bloke.

I've BEEN to two College Football games when I was in America and was forced to watch it on television. Until you're actually watched the game live, you can't really appreciate how little happens during a game. It's a three hour marathon with an average of 16 minutes action.

I used to endlessly hear how the Padball 'stars' would instantly kill any Rugby player and hilariously exaggerated claims regarding their abilities ie:

"Julius Peppers makes DOZENS of HUGE hits EVERY game and no Rugby player would be able to stop him with the ball!!1"

(Julius Peppers makes an average of THREE(!) tackles a game and has run with the ball four times in his entire career)

typicalfan

Coach
Darren McFadden and Adrian Peterson would make good centres. Two off the top of my head. Fast, strong and breaks a lot of tackles.
GREAT athletes. But how do they get the ball to their winger? osmosis?

Greg Inglis would still be king considering not only can he break tackles but he can offload and he can tackle.

These are things that guys like Inglis, Gasnier, Lyon etc have come naturally to them while Peterson and McFadden have had it trained out of them.

Raider_69

Post Whore
GREAT athletes. But how do they get the ball to their winger? osmosis?

Those guys, with 10 metres between them and their defender, often defending one on one, tbh most centres wouldnt get a hand on them.
Their abilities to cut off both feet and maintain near top speed, their combination of speed and power probably ensures 90% of the time they wouldnt need to pass to their winger.

Squatdog

Juniors
Those guys, with 10 metres between them and their defender, often defending one on one, tbh most centres wouldnt get a hand on them.
Their abilities to cut off both feet and maintain near top speed, their combination of speed and power probably ensures 90% of the time they wouldnt need to pass to their winger.

LMFAO!!!!

Someone's been drinking the Padball koolaid.

simmo1

First Grade

I follow NFL, and this is ridiculous.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Edit - looking at the game through RL eyes I have always wondered why they don't use the lateral pass more often in the pros. It is much more common in high school and college, but I guess it is deemed too risky in the pros? It ight be that you are unable to pass properly with all the padding - they always seem to do a basketball style pass.

i'd be willing to bet reggie bush in the rose bowl put an end to that ever happening in the pros. sure, that was a college game, but huge stakes etc etc.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
All this stuff about NFL players being bigger and faster is irrelevant when you factor in how soft they are,the whole entire league is made up of prima donna bitches like Terrel Owens and Chad Ochocinco.

These NFL softies would't stand a chance.

morri (cWo)

First Grade
The fact of the matter is although NFL players are amazing athletes they wouldn't be able to adapt to:
- The pace
- The constant game play
- Altering their game so they have to attack and defend
- Playing without pads

plus the worst players in the NFL earn about as much as our top players

WaznTheGreat

Referee
There is 11 mins of actual action in a NFL game,these idiots would have no chance playing for 80mins on both sides of the ball,end of story.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
And whats all this crap about NFL players being amazing athletes,all the defensive players are overweight bludgers,all the wide recievers are skinny twerps,all the running backs are 5'10" and 5'11' midgets,the quarterbacks just stand there and pass a ball.

LOL @ NFL players being amazing athletes

Canard

Immortal
Neither NFL or NRL players could hold a candle to Commonwealth Games Rugby Sevens players, those guys are super atheletes, just ask 60% of the adminstrators on this site!

roopy

Referee
A 20 year old kid named Will Brazier played for USA tomahawks against Australia several years ago.
He was a college American Football defender who was too small to play pro and had played less than a dozen games of League before fronting up against Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason, and his first tackle he smashed O'Meley in a tackle (O'Meley was at his peak at the time).
Very, very few Australian 20 year old props could have done as well - and no player in the world with 12 games of league experience could have held their own in that company without having developed similar skills as a defender in College gridiron.

Squatdog

Juniors
A 20 year old kid named Will Brazier played for USA tomahawks against Australia several years ago.
He was a college American Football defender who was too small to play pro and had played less than a dozen games of League before fronting up against Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason, and his first tackle he smashed O'Meley in a tackle (O'Meley was at his peak at the time).
Very, very few Australian 20 year old props could have done as well - and no player in the world with 12 games of league experience could have held their own in that company without having developed similar skills as a defender in College gridiron.

Why this Will Brazier sounds amazing...he must have gone on to an extensive professional career in League!

Oh wait...he's plays in an amateur American Rugby team and on closer inspection, he actually played RUGBY in highschool and university, not Padball.

Oh well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I follow NFL, and this is ridiculous.

:lol: Fair call, look im obviously exaggerating, but there is a point that stands solid in the post, with the time and space RL allows, the top teir RB's would be very hard to stop in a game of RL. RL has better tacklers but there is no one in the game with the running ability of a Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson, or even a Michael Vick.

mind you they'd need to be interchanged every set of six

roopy

Referee
Why this Will Brazier sounds amazing...he must have gone on to an extensive professional career in League!

Oh wait...he's plays in an amateur American Rugby team and on closer inspection, he actually played RUGBY in highschool and university, not Padball.

Oh well.
He played American football and a bit of Union in the off season till he washed out of American Football in college. He has played both League and Union for America since. I'm pretty sure he is playing League in the Atlantic cup coming up, and he is still in contention to make the American side for the Union WC.
Like other guys from america with a bit of promice (Nate Smith and the Texan guy who played Qld cup), he chose to go to Uni and have a career over having a shot at being a fringe pro player.

Squatdog

Juniors
He played American football and a bit of Union in the off season till he washed out of American Football in college. He has played both League and Union for America since. I'm pretty sure he is playing League in the Atlantic cup coming up, and he is still in contention to make the American side for the Union WC.
Like other guys from america with a bit of promice (Nate Smith and the Texan guy who played Qld cup), he chose to go to Uni and have a career over having a shot at being a fringe pro player.

He never played for the US Rugby team.

If he was any good, he would be earning six figures in Europe.

hellteam

First Grade
Outside Backs:

1) Chris Johnson
2) Brandon Marshall
3) Arian Foster
4) Darren McFadden
5) Hakeem Nicks

Ohhhh baby

Latest posts