What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

Andrew Johns-Greatest Ever?

• Yes

Votes: 102 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 121 54.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Johnsy

Referee
raider - agree to disagree

Saab

I was responding to raider 69's claim joeys club form hs been poor for some time. In comparison to joeys club form Wally's was no better, if not it was worse.

Raider_69 said:
why not? if we go purely off ability he was no where near, when it comes to the best of's he was a jack of all trades and master of none. He like all great players could do everything you could want, but as far as running games go, daley, fittler, kenny all beat him there, long kicking, stuart had his measure, short kicking langer beat him hands down, passing Cliffy lyons amongst others had him covered, vision lewis, kenny and stuart has him...

i mean what aspect of his game can you honestly say he was unmatched by a peer? None is the answer, and granted alot of the greats are the same, so for me i go by the other aspects of this game, the hair spliters and those are their charactor on field, leadership and sportsmanship... all of which were nigh on non exsistant in johns

he is a great player, no doubts
but he is not the best ever. Not a chance
..right there..shows how ridiculous you really are

ouwet

Bench
_Johnsy said:
Ron

That comment was in response to riader 69's comment about club form. Not saying in any way shape or form that is held in any higher regard than SOO form.

SAAB

In comparison to joeys club form, I would say it is a fair comment.

You are comparing the Gold Coast squad of 1992 with the Knights squad of 2005:roll:

Daniel Abraham, Riley Brown, Danny Buderus, Dane Campbell, George Carmont, Dustin Cooper, Kurt Gidley, Matthew Gidley, Craig Hall, Kurt Hancock, Mark Hughes, Andrew Johns, Matthew Kennedy, Todd Lowrie, Blake Mueller, Jarrod Mullen, Clint Newton, Josh Perry, Andrew Price, Luke Quigley, Anthony Quinn, Kirk Reynoldson, Trent Salkeld, David Seage, Steve Simpson, Craig Smith, Kade Snowden, Reegan Tanner, Milton Thaiday, Brad Tighe, Daniel Tolar, Matthew White, Steve Witt, Adam Woolnough, Brendan Worth
Give Wally that team and he would carve up!

Brutus

Referee
Walt Flanigan said:
1 and a half

Yeah true.

Had the Superleague premiers played the ARL premiers in a superbowl type match at the end of the 1997 season.

Broncos 36 - Knights 8.

That would have been the score.

A. Langer - manofthematch:)

Mr Saab

Referee
True, Wallys form was not great @ the backend of his career.
They both won a wooden spoon and they both will not be remembered for their club over their last 2 yrs.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Holla if ya hear me said:
So..in 15 yrs of football..including playing against stuart..theres been no quality halfbacks?

when johns was at his best, the only other half was kimmorley. He played against aging and not 1/10th of their best players like Daley, Stuart, Langer and Fittler and even then johns never completely outclassed them.

lewis, sterling, mortimer, kenny
fittler, daley, alfie, stuart
johns, kimmorley, lockyer... err barrett? :lol:

no two ways about it, the quality of play maker johns has come up against is not near that of the other modern day greats (not to mention blokes i may have forgotten)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Raider_69 said:
why not? if we go purely off ability he was no where near, when it comes to the best of's he was a jack of all trades and master of none. He like all great players could do everything you could want, but as far as running games go, daley, fittler, kenny all beat him there, long kicking, stuart had his measure, short kicking langer beat him hands down, passing Cliffy lyons amongst others had him covered, vision lewis, kenny and stuart has him...

i mean what aspect of his game can you honestly say he was unmatched by a peer? None is the answer, and granted alot of the greats are the same, so for me i go by the other aspects of this game, the hair spliters and those are their charactor on field, leadership and sportsmanship... all of which were nigh on non exsistant in johns

Fair enough Raider. I do think Stuart was the the most inivative halve we've seen.

_Johnsy

Referee
Raider_69 said:

Who is then ?

Brutus

Referee
Wally was injury-prone from 1990 onwards (his last 3 years), but he still led QLD to a classic Origin series victory in 91.

Joey's end was similar.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Fair enough Raider. I do think Stuart was the the most inivative halve we've seen.

without a doubt, i could go on about how stuarts pin point long kicking game changed the way league is played, but im tired and i need sleep :lol:

Molly

Juniors
Given what Ive seen ove the years, I would have to say he has been the most influential player to play the game. His impact w Newcastle has been immeasurable, and the number of games he individually has impacted would be enormous.

Even the bookies agreed when they suspended betting pending the outcome of a fitness test on Johns.

Raider_69

Post Whore
_Johnsy said:
Who is then ?

Tough question
IMO of course, and i am shameless for my love for Ricky Stuart, unbiasedly id probably go with Lewis or Sterling. Stuart however is the bloke i think had most impact on the sport and for that reason and the fact im a raiders man through and through, Stick was the best ive seen, and the fact he's gone on to a successful coaching career helps too

Stranger

Coach
So in other words raiduh, if Joey player for Canberra he would be the best you have seen ;-)

You never saw Sterlo play though did ya?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Stranger said:
So in other words raiduh, if Joey player for Canberra he would be the best you have seen ;-)

You never saw Sterlo play though did ya?

no, if johns played for canberra, id still go with the 3 i mentioned
saw abit of sterlo in the old balmain tapes i used to watch at my grand-dads. Every time i saw him he was magnificent.