What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

babyg

Juniors
That's the main reason I voted for Lockyer.

Johns had more brilliance to his game but not the consistency or longevity Lockyer has.

I think people will truly see how good Locky is once he is gone from the Broncos, QLD and Aus teams.

Also Johns may have torn weaker teams apart but Lockyer is more likely to take a back seat and let the team go when they are dominating. Much better for the team developing.

ouwet

Bench
Lockyer without a doubt! Best player of this generation!

Johns was an over-rated hack... Channel 9 and Hadley made him! Lockyer's record and silverware speak for themselves!

I voted for Johns.

He is the most complete player I have ever seen.

However Lockyer was the far more dominant player for State and Country over a very long period of time.

babyg

Juniors
I voted for Johns.

He is the most complete player I have ever seen.

However Lockyer was the far more dominant player for State and Country over a very long period of time.

I thought he was too short, fat and slow to be the complete player. Maybe a being a bit harsh on the fat part.

AuDragon

Juniors
There's no disputing Johns talent and ability, arguably better than Locky, but when you look at their career achievements, Locky and even Langer stand head and shoulders above him.

The voting on this thread reflects nothing more than the difference between NSW'kers and Qld'ers on this site...

perverse

Referee
There's no disputing Johns talent and ability, arguably better than Locky, but when you look at their career achievements, Locky and even Langer stand head and shoulders above him.

The voting on this thread reflects nothing more than the difference between NSW'kers and Qld'ers on this site...
i don't disagree with you, not outright anyway, but the water always gets muddy at this point because of Johns' multitude of season ending injuries... and also the fact that Johns has won more individual accolades, whereas Lockyer has won more team accolades.

this debate is as old as Rugby League on the internet... and it'll never be solved. absolutely staunch supporters on both sides, with many neutrals struggling to make up their minds and are equally divided. i think most would agree that Johns had more raw ability, but Lockyer the more illustrious career and achievements, and that both are out and out champions of the game. certainly the 2 players of their generation - absolutely miles ahead of their nearest rivals. Johns never had the longetivity to challenge Lockyers career achievements, and Lockyer only had the raw brilliance during a certain period of his career to compare with what Johns produced consistently throughout his entire career... ergo it continuously makes it impossible to compare them side by side. by the end of Lockyers career he may well have played over 100 more games than Johns did at NRL level alone... and that is exclusively due to injury, including the one that cut the circus short.

i will always extremely staunchly believe that Johns was, is and always will be the superior of the two, but i do see what people see in Lockyer. there is greatness in him, and always has been.

Cliffhanger

Coach
John's presence boosted a team's morale by at least 50 per cent.

Lockyer is gifted no doubt Joey made miracle happens. Joey could singlehandedly pull the game out of the brink. His kicking game was sensational,and there were those plays only he could really pull off.

Joey accomplished a lot, in a limited ammount of time too.

Who cares if Joey took some e pills. They aren't performance enhancing.

betcats

Referee
So Locky being coached by one of if not the best coach ever for most of his career makes him better ther Joey? please, no one could control a game like Johns, he is the best.

Apey

Staff member
johns is overated , had no game plans ,

.only talked about because of Rudder and tactical supercoach hagan, plus relied on rudder,buderus,gidley,odavis to make him look good,

hagan had technical game plans johns could execute,

Last edited:

perverse

Referee

.only talked about because of Rudder and tactical supercoach hagan, plus relied on rudder,buderus,gidley,odavis to make him look good,

:lol:

10/10.

Red Bear

Referee

But team success doesnt mean Lockyer>Johns. By that token you could say John O'Shea is a better player than Steven Gerrard, because O'Shea has had more achievements, but that'd bollocks.

Not to mention Johns 3 Dally M awards compared with Lockyer.

Johns was a complete halfback. Excellent passing game, quality running game, even later in his career when he didnt have the speed of youth and supurb kicking game. His vision was supurb, and the fact he lifted what was a largely shit newcastle side, especially in the mid 00's, to great performances was supurb. Not only that, he was as good a defender as any second rower, hitting hard and being able to read the play, and area which, as a 5/8 (ie in the front line), Lockyer is weak in (he was fine as a fullback in cover defence).

Lockyer's a better captain than Johns, who was always prone to outbursts, but he's not a better player.

Also, lol @ Johns being short, fat, slow. You dont need the pace when you're quick between the ears. Johns, like the very best players (Fittler, Lewis etc) was a master of playing the game at his pace.

Hutty1986

Immortal

:lol::lol: So disjointed and dyslexic. Perfecto!

Mr Saab

Referee
Not to mention Johns 3 Dally M awards compared with Lockyer..

Dally Ms have zero cred. They are voted on by Journos and former players with NFI and the voting criteria is pathetic.
Case in point :
Tits vs Raiders....Raiders lose the lead in the final seconds and it goes into extra time.
Titans win in extra time after like 1 minute.....Daley gives all three votes to Tits players.
You cannot tell me that no Raiders players deserved a vote.

Latest posts