What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

Apey

Staff member
even if I was, somehow I think i'd have quite a few years on you... part of being a great is being an ethical human :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Wtf is this drivel. Langer was so poor at long kicking, he used to tap kick penalties 60 metres out. He had next to no cut out pass and had to trip people over in defence because he could not tackle. Yes he could break the line but he'd be looking to link up immeadiately because he may have been "the fastest man over 10 metres" but he was slow over 30. Don't get me wrong - I was a huge fan of Langer's and rate the guy highly. But to say he was better than Joey is outrageous.

Langer was an attacking genius who gave his all and was a fierce competitor. Langer was by far the most effective "messy" player I have ever seen, and probably that there ever was. He could crab, jink, jive, grubber, chip and semi bomb kick thing to Willie Carne so effectively. But so did Joey while looking so much more cohesive, with a stronger pass, a far superior kicking game (including banana kicks), and the ability to drop props, with superior toe.

The only thing I disliked more than Joey Johns is Manly. So I supported him in 1997's GF. But he was awesome and every time I hear of game 2 2005 - I really think those people missed 2001 GF first half. Hated Joey as a player - I never supported Knights, NSW or Australia. Joey > Langer.

Best description of Langer I have ever ready. Just spot on. The amount of times I've spent thinking to myself 'geez what a boneheade...GENIUS play!' is unprecedented. He certainly wasn't the most talented player but by god was he an amazing competitor.

Fibroman

First Grade
If you had to play both players in every position on the field and other responsibilites, here my summary.

Fullback- Locky by a long way
Wing- Locky by a long way
Centre- Locky by a long way
5/8- Locky
1/2- Johns
Hooker- Johns
Running game- Locky
Passing game- Johns
Defence- Johns
Positional play - even
Long kick- Johns
Short kick- Johns
Drop goal- even
Goal kick- Johns

I would have Johns just shading Locky overall, however..........I have little respect for Joey for being caught with an ecstacy tablet. Soft. If you're going to get caught with pingers, any real man would have at least 10 or 20 on him for a good night out.

RABK

Referee
If you had to play both players in every position on the field and other responsibilites, here my summary.

Fullback- Locky by a long way
Wing- Locky by a long way
Centre- Locky by a long way
5/8- Locky
1/2- Johns
Hooker- Johns
Running game- Locky
Passing game- Johns
Defence- Johns
Positional play - even
Long kick- Johns
Short kick- Johns
Drop goal- even
Goal kick- Johns

I would have Johns just shading Locky overall, however..........I have little respect for Joey for being caught with an ecstacy tablet. Soft. If you're going to get caught with pingers, any real man would have at least 10 or 20 on him for a good night out.

So you'd have Lockyer 'by a long way' in some backline positions, i'd assume due to agility, but you wouldn't have Johns 'by a long way' at hooker?

Johns would sooner be an international centre than Lockyer a reserve grade hooker.

Lockyer defending in the middle of the park... :lol:

Mr Fourex

Bench
I been watching footy for over 30 years.
I will be forever grateful what Johns did at the Knights.
But if I could choose Johns or Lockyer, it will be Lockyer everyday of the week except for days that end in y.

Oh yeah ......30 yrs?

Pfftt........!!

In what life?

Your only 12 now

dickhead.......

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
The only thing I disliked more than Joey Johns is Manly. So I supported him in 1997's GF. But he was awesome and every time I hear of game 2 2005 - I really think those people missed 2001 GF first half. Hated Joey as a player - I never supported Knights, NSW or Australia. Joey > Langer.

I'm starting to agree with some of your posts

........and I'm not sure I like it.

I've given myself several uppercuts

and I still find myself agreeing

Frustrating.......:D

shiznit

Coach
LMFAO at all these over-inflated opinions of Joey...

the guy was definitely one of the best... but not THE best...

people need to look at his career objectively... he was injury prone... he also had a long battle with kimmorley for the 7 jumper for NSW and Australia.

then there's the biggest problem of them all... hes also admitted to taking drugs mid-season. although its recreational... its still illegal.

he should have had a 2 year ban like Reni Maitua. so as far as im concerned he should be treated as a drugs cheat.

then theres the whole racism episode...

Jono078

Referee

people need to look at his career objectively... he was injury prone... he also had a long battle with kimmorley for the 7 jumper for NSW and Australia.

then there's the biggest problem of them all... hes also admitted to taking drugs mid-season. although its recreational... its still illegal.

he should have had a 2 year ban like Reni Maitua. so as far as im concerned he should be treated as a drugs cheat.

In all honesty you could just say Jarryd Hayne battles Brett Morris for the NSW wing position too... Exactly.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Injury prone? He tackled like a forward unlike most halfbacks.
Objective? Best player objectivity is looking at what they did on the field only, subjectivity is allowing off field incidents to influence that opinion.

I supported Timana, but allowing his drug use or racist outburst detract from assessing his on field performances is subjective.

And as for his "battle" with Kimmorley for the test spot: that was during Chris Anderson's coaching reign. Self explanatory really.

Joey had Langer's running and passing (make summing outta nuttin) game, with Stickys (cohesive) passing and kicking power game but with flair as well!! He had more flair than Langer (banana kicks and what not) and a more cohesive and powerful game than Sticky. The best of both worlds. Plus his defence was incredible: but I'm not sure he is the best. I actually think JT edges Joey in Origin for his sheer attacking brilliance and slightly more flair, even if his defence aint as good. I think I am pretty f*n objective. If either JT or Joey had gone to union, they would be or have been bewildered at the skill level of those two guys.

Joey > Langer and Stuart. I am not sure he is better than JT based on origins. But most think I rate JT too highly merely because he has not won a premiership as a halfback.

Last edited:

Byron Knight

Juniors
Objective? Best player objectivity is looking at what they did on the field only, subjectivity is allowing off field incidents to influence that opinion.

I supported Timana, but allowing his drug use or racist outburst detract from assessing his on field performances is subjective.

And as for his "battle" with Kimmorley for the test spot: that was during Chris Anderson's coaching reign. Self explanatory really.

Joey had Langer's running and passing (make summing outta nuttin) game, with Stickys (cohesive) passing and kicking power game but with flair as well!! He had more flair than Langer (banana kicks and what not) and a more cohesive and powerful game than Sticky. The best of both worlds. Plus his defence was incredible: but I'm not sure he is the best. I actually think JT edges Joey in Origin for his sheer attacking brilliance and slightly more flair, even if his defence aint as good. I think I am pretty f*n objective. If either JT or Joey had gone to union, they would be or have been bewildered at the skill level of those two guys.

Joey > Langer and Stuart. I am not sure he is better than JT based on origins. But most think I rate JT too highly merely because he has not won a premiership as a halfback.

I agree with this.

Also, it's worth remembering that Johns played for a club with no money, diabolical facilities and (on the whole) significantly weaker playing rosters.

shiznit

Coach

rubbish... theres nothing subjective about it.... his legacy in the sport has been tarnished because he knowingly took a banned substance.

im not doubting his football ability... how can you... his ability was just breathtaking. but when your talking about the greatest players in the game... you cant ignore the fact he admitted to taking a banned substance while playing.

wow... i must have missed where Chris Anderson was coaching NSW. Kimmorley has played atleast 10 games for NSW. from memory he was the halfback during the clean sweep series in 2000.

so there was a time where he was considered the best halfback in the game.

Knightmare

Coach

:lol: The "DRUGS ARE BAD!" brigade always make me laugh. If you play footy, I suggest next time you're in the dressing room, pop a couple of pingers in your mouth before you go out and play. When the final whistle goes, come back here (ignoring the urge to hug every single person at the ground) and tell us with a straight face that E's are somehow "cheating".

ANTiLAG

First Grade
so there was a time where he was considered the best halfback in the game.

Only by Chris Anderson: Kimmorley had become Aus half and was the GF winning half and Joey was unfit for the first game that year, and NSW won, so they put Joey on the bench for games 2 and 3. Lets not forget what happened in 2001 with Kimmorley as half. 2002 all Joey (c).

Joey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kimmorley.

Funnily enough, the best game I ever saw Kimmorley play was against Joey's knights. Gotta rare 10/10 from the magazine awards. Incredible display with everything Kimmorley did came up trumps. Even a dog like Kimmorley can have his day I suppose.

mongoose

Coach
Johns at his peak was a better than Lockyer ever was, but Locky has had a far more impressive career. Five straight origin series wins. 3* premierships at fullback and 1 at 5/8.

Johns has a few "popularity contest" dally m medals but it doesnt stack up to what Lockyer has acheived.

I vote Lockyer.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Just something to stir the debate a little:

What would everyone's opinion of Thurston be should he take North Queensland to a premiership? Would it be possible that he may surpass all of them?

Time is still on his side for this to occur.

Latest posts