What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns vs Darren Lockyer

Who's the greater player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 302 69.9%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 130 30.1%

• Total voters

THE CHAMP

First Grade
And wasnt game 3 last year a dead rubber, not exactly important :lol:

I'd rate kicking match winning conversions from the sideline (STGI 2003 for example) as a better examples then kicking a field goal with no pressure (as it was before halftime) in a series that was already decided.

Only NSW fans think there is such a thing as a dead rubber in SOO matches.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
When it comes to match winning plays can any of you Johns supporting plebs really say he had more than Lockyer come on people it's not even close! The great Lockyer has just done it soooo many more times than Johns it bluddy hilarious!

Silent Knight

First Grade
When it comes to match winning plays can any of you Johns supporting plebs really say he had more than Lockyer come on people it's not even close! The great Lockyer has just done it soooo many more times than Johns it bluddy hilarious!

redneck2-760858.jpg

jonno_knights

Juniors

Now Johns has had quite a few more, but putting that aside if there is one moment that will be remembered in 50 years time, it will be this one:

Albert-backs-his-old-rivals-5677246.jpg

perverse

Referee
I've alwasy thought the answer to this one is:

6. Lockyer
7. Johns
the greatest shame of it all is the tiny amount of football they got to play together. i think had they formed the ridiculous partnership they could have at test level and dominated 30+ games side-by-side, i think these debates would take on an entirely different, more friendly and interesting tone.

they were always seen as direct competitors, rarely partners in crime. that is definitely a shame. alas, it was never meant to be.

Big Pete

Referee
the greatest shame of it all is the tiny amount of football they got to play together. i think had they formed the ridiculous partnership they could have at test level and dominated 30+ games side-by-side, i think these debates would take on an entirely different, more friendly and interesting tone.

they were always seen as direct competitors, rarely partners in crime. that is definitely a shame. alas, it was never meant to be.

Doesn't help the few games they did team up Australia were far from impressive.

Except for Joey's last test, that was a great exhibition from the both of them.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Johns is so far ahead of Lockyer for mine its a no brainer. Oh and I support maroon.

Fittler is so far ahead of Locky for mine too, for what its worth.

Elia_Tuqiri

Juniors
Doesn't help the few games they did team up Australia were far from impressive.

Except for Joey's last test, that was a great exhibition from the both of them.

A lot has to do with Lockyer was still learning in the 6.
There were calls to move Lockyer from the 6 back to the 1.
The same year Johns played his last test was the same year Lockyer excelled as a 6 and a captain. Anzac Test, State of Origin, 2006 Premiership, 2006 Tri nations.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Wtf is this drivel. Langer was so poor at long kicking, he used to tap kick penalties 60 metres out. He had next to no cut out pass and had to trip people over in defence because he could not tackle. Yes he could break the line but he'd be looking to link up immeadiately because he may have been "the fastest man over 10 metres" but he was slow over 30. Don't get me wrong - I was a huge fan of Langer's and rate the guy highly. But to say he was better than Joey is outrageous.

Langer was an attacking genius who gave his all and was a fierce competitor. Langer was by far the most effective "messy" player I have ever seen, and probably that there ever was. He could crab, jink, jive, grubber, chip and semi bomb kick thing to Willie Carne so effectively. But so did Joey while looking so much more cohesive, with a stronger pass, a far superior kicking game (including banana kicks), and the ability to drop props, with superior toe.

The only thing I disliked more than Joey Johns is Manly. So I supported him in 1997's GF. But he was awesome and every time I hear of game 2 2005 - I really think those people missed 2001 GF first half. Hated Joey as a player - I never supported Knights, NSW or Australia. Joey > Langer.

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench
please tell the 212 who voted for johns that lockyer will be includedin the immortals and johns wont ever, end of story.
part of being a great is being an ethical human

Latest posts