What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns

Messiah said:
I'm really considering getting a sex change & having 17 of his children so I can have great genes for a footy side

He is the best there is, the best there was...

LOL, I wonder if people still think Lockyer is the best

Correct me if i,m wrong, but didnt a MR RICKY STUART say that MINICHELLO was THE WORLDS best player :roll: :roll:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Andrew Johns, world's best player?

Hell no.

World's best HALFBACK?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
medievilknight said:
Who is then????????????

I don't like the term 'best PLAYER of the world'...

To ME, the best PLAYER can play ANYWHERE and do brilliantly ANYWHERE...Now, I'm sure Joey could probably play anywhere in the back, as well as lock and probably hooker...Probably...But I doubt he'd excel as much as he does at halfback...

I wouldn't call Minichiello the world's best player either - world's best fullback, perhaps.

Likewise: Nathan Hindmarsh, best second-rower.

Danny Buderus, best hooker.

etc.

Meanie

Juniors
To do the sh*t Johns has done the last 2 seasons, at his age, not taking into account the rest of his career, the guy is a once in a generation type of player.

Pazza

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
Disagree, Having professionals like Carney, Burderus,Simpson, Kurt& Matt Gidley, Thaiday performing so well at club level it makes his work look alot better.

Sorry guys, but he doesn't give me the goose bumps or dazzle me the same way as you guys. An awesome, complete player but as for sheer brillance? i've seen better.

Its johns that makes carney, Burderus,Simpson, Kurt& Matt Gidley and Thaiday look better

Sean7

Juniors
Eelementary said:
Andrew Johns, world's best player?

Hell no.

World's best HALFBACK?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Hell no?

You're kidding.

He's the most complete player I've ever seen and by a large margin.

effnic

Bench
There is no argument Johns best player there is and ever was. If his injection into origin didnt prove it nothing will. Think about it origin is the best of the best players coming together and nailing eachother well johns stood out like testicles on a forehead making all these other so called best players look like park footballers.

aussies1st

Staff member
Easily the best player, he dominates the game which Great players do.
Hes a once in a lifetime player and its going to be a sad day when we lose him.

Alex28

Coach
There are some guys at the Knights that wouldn't be selected in some other NRL teams First Division teams that are made to look to be much much better playing next to Johns - you can tell when they play without him and how directionless and, lets face it, awful they are without him.

Thats what makes Johns such a special player. He not only plays brilliantly - he makes others good enough to be selected in rep teams based on their performances around him.

He mightn't be able to do the 90 metre runs to score tries (because that is the role of a halfback...duh), but time and time again he sets that sh*t up - with ease. Thats what makes him the best player of our generation.

As for Newcastle being "the biggest one man team ever" - no arguements from me. Last year (and last week) they have done nothing to dis-spell the theory...

perverse

Referee
raz said:
what does it matter anyway 20 years from now there will probably be 40 000 players better than johns
perhaps, but they all wont be miles ahead of their peers like johns is.
i've never liked entering the wally vs joey debate.. and it always crops up.. but geez you'd be hard pressed to say that joey hasn't shown that he is not only equally, but greater than the king himself... he's absolutely killing them out there.

drake

First Grade
Let me start off my saying that I think Johns is an arrogant wanker, and I'm sick of hearing the media, especially his moron brother, crap on about him.

But as a supporter of the team he killed last night, I will honestly say that he is the most gifte, talented and complete rugby league player I have seen in my lifetime. You can have your favourites and piss on about your best players, but the truth is that no one comes close to the impact this bloke has on a team.

Johns can do everything a player needs to do to the highest level. And the morale boost he is providing to Newcastle is enormous. His very presence makes tham better players. His organisation and instinctual decisions are fantastic.

I hate the bastard, like any good St george man should, but he is the best player in the world.

Lewis? f**k off, Lewis didn't possess half the skills this bloke has, he just had a harder head. So has an oxen, so what.

nqboy

First Grade
effnic said:
There is no argument Johns best player there is and ever was. If his injection into origin didnt prove it nothing will. Think about it origin is the best of the best players coming together and nailing eachother well johns stood out like testicles on a forehead making all these other so called best players look like park footballers.
Yeah, similar to what the King did in Origin and Test football routinely for 10 years.

drake

First Grade
nqboy said:
Yeah, similar to what the King did in Origin and Test football routinely for 10 years.
What did he do in club football. Could he lift a team to the degree that Johns did last night. From being defeated by the Warriors, to massacring the Dragons? No, he did nothing. He played 4 or 5 good games a year, with the cream of of QLD and Australia as teamates.

nqboy said:

100% correct .. & don't forget Wally did it for a lot of his career with the 5m rule ...with far less time to choose your options or make a play.

nqboy

First Grade
Lewis, Kenny, Sterling, Daley, Fittler and now Johns...all special and, on their day, the best there is.

The argument he can't be the best player cos he only plays half can be negated by measuring his superiority to his competition and comparing that with the best players in other positions. He's streets ahead of the other halves thought it's not a vintage time for halves compared to, say the early 90s when we'd barely missed Sterling and along came Langer, Stuart, Alexander and others like Hasler, Toovey the equal of Johns' competition today.

the Wok made a comment along these lines in that period: something along the lines of "The ink is barely dry on our praise of Wally Lewis' career and along comes Laurie Daley."

nqboy

First Grade
drake said:
What did he do in club football. Could he lift a team to the degree that Johns did last night. From being defeated by the Warriors, to massacring the Dragons? No, he did nothing. He played 4 or 5 good games a year, with the cream of of QLD and Australia as teamates.
Let's see, premierships with Valleys in 1979 and Wynnum in 1983(?) come to mind. Oh, hang on, that's right, it wasn't Sydney football so it doesn't count? Idiot.

Johns is the BEST player of his time but not the greatest of all time...it is too difficult to compare playing conditions, teams etc of the past to set a benchmark for performance.

As for Carney etc being outside of him this is not even a contributing factor because his passing and kickign game is exceptional by himself.

nqboy

First Grade
I will say that years ago, I thought that Lewis and Sterling would be the guys I'd be telling my grandkids about. I think Johns has probably gone past Sterlo. Different players, different styles, different skill sets, but just IMO.