What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns

nqboy said:
I will say that years ago, I thought that Lewis and Sterling would be the guys I'd be telling my grandkids about. I think Johns has probably gone past Sterlo. Different players, different styles, different skill sets, but just IMO.

I will be telling my kids about Sterlo, Lewis, Daley & Roach along with Johns...oh and also Reg Regan.

Mr Saab

Referee
Put sterling, mortimer, and lewis in th 10m rule and see what happens.
Of course we cannot do that, but if we could then you could really compare players.
Johns is without doubt the best player of this very modern era and the best player under the 10m rule.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Andrew Johns is the sh*t...the guy walks on water, best player ever to wear a jersey.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
effnic said:
There is no argument Johns best player there is and ever was.

Mate I think Joey is the bees knees at the best of times but you can't say 'there is no argument' as to whether he is the best ever.

If you've seen every player play in their prime since 1908 in Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain then maybe you can make that statement.

Is Johns the best you've seen - quite obviously but you can't say there's no argument about it.

There are at least 10 other players over history that have had the same wrap as A. Johns at one point or another - that to me is a good basis for an argument as any.

As for myself I can only comment on players since the 1980s so I'm not about to say he's the best ever period, he is certainly one of the top 3 players I've seen in my opinion - but even that's open to argument.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Open to argument? How? You'd honestly take someone seriously who said Johns isn't one of the best 3 players since the 1980s? I'd leave the conversation.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Well,

He certainly makes a difference to Newcastle's chances lets put it that way.

Last week without Johns: Newcastle lose - (to a team that are currently having their arse kicked 20 - zip) to the warriors at home 26-22

This week with Johns: Newcastle thrash an almost full strength Dragons squad 54-6 away at WIN stadium.

Point proven.

Question is, what are the Knights going to do when Johns hangs up his boots permanently?

bluesbreaker

Bench
Pantherjim. said:
Question is, what are the Knights going to do when Johns hangs up his boots permanently?

I dunno mate, similiar to how Penrith are going to go when Groper pisses off I'd say. The only difference being, one will go down as an immortal, the other will go down as an animal.

Pantherjim. said:
Well,

Same as Tigers, (Marshal) Roosters, (Minichello), Broncos (Lockyer) and even Panthers (Gower) will do..............REBUILD :roll:

Pantherjim.

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
I dunno mate, similiar to how Penrith are going to go when Groper pisses off I'd say. The only difference being, one will go down as an immortal, the other will go down as an animal.

I doubt it.

I think the majority of people with any common sense knows that Craig, while being no angel, is certainly no animal either. Indeed, Some of the stuff I've heard about Joey certainly makes him far from perfect!

In any case, you sound like you were having a dig at Penrith in retaliation to my post.

I wasn't having a dig at Newcastle, I was merely being honest, and making a valid point.

RABK

Referee
We'll obviously try and rebuild but it's a hard task with the retirement of the greatest player to ever play the game.

We have four of the biggest halves prospects in Australia in our junior grades. One, Luke Walsh, is an incredible little player and looks to have the ability to dominate games with his passing and kicking game. Then there is obviously the very talented Jarrod Mullen who no doubt has a big future.

We will probably struggle for a year or two but if our juniors continue to develop we will no doubt have some of the best halves in the comp in a few years.

Red Bear

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
Well,

Last week without Johns: Newcastle lose - (to a team that are currently having their arse kicked 20 - zip) to the warriors at home 26-22

This week with Johns: Newcastle thrash an almost full strength Dragons squad 54-6 away at WIN stadium.

Point proven.

To be fair Dragons werent full strength at all. They still would have lost but they were missing Ryles, Baily, Timmins, Wes Naquima and Matty Head. Takes nothing away from Newcastle, they woulda killed anyone last night.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Red and Blue Knight said:
We'll obviously try and rebuild but it's a hard task with the retirement of the greatest player to ever play the game.

Then there is obviously the very talented Jarrod Mullen who no doubt has a big future.

I think Mullen is your best prospect. It's a good job that you've secured him for a few more years. When does Joey officially retire? I was under the impression it was after 2007? In which case you still have a year and 3/4 to baptise Mullen into first grade.

It's a bit like our situation post Preston Campbell. we have a capable 5/8 in Peter Wallace playing in Premier League. No doubt it will take him a while to fill Presto's boots, but thats IF we can give him an incentive to stay with us. I do believe he's off contract at the end of this year.

RABK

Referee
Pantherjim. said:
I think Mullen is your best prospect. It's a good job that you've secured him for a few more years. When does Joey officially retire? I was under the impression it was after 2007? In which case you still have a year and 3/4 to baptise Mullen into first grade.

It's a bit like our situation post Preston Campbell. we have a capable 5/8 in Peter Wallace playing in Premier League. No doubt it will take him a while to fill Presto's boots, but thats IF we can give him an incentive to stay with us. I do believe he's off contract at the end of this year.

No official retirement set. If he sticks to his contract then rd 26/ finals of 2008 will be his last game.

But he has said he will assess how he is feeling mid 07 and make a decision then if he will play out the last year off his contract.

Eelementary

Post Whore
nqboy said:
Lewis, Kenny, Sterling, Daley, Fittler and now Johns...all special and, on their day, the best there is.

The argument he can't be the best player cos he only plays half can be negated by measuring his superiority to his competition and comparing that with the best players in other positions. He's streets ahead of the other halves thought it's not a vintage time for halves compared to, say the early 90s when we'd barely missed Sterling and along came Langer, Stuart, Alexander and others like Hasler, Toovey the equal of Johns' competition today.

the Wok made a comment along these lines in that period: something along the lines of "The ink is barely dry on our praise of Wally Lewis' career and along comes Laurie Daley."

Why is it when someone refuses to acknoweldge him as the best PLAYER he is wrong?

He is the best halfback at the moment by MILES...

But to say he could compete with guys like Webcke at prop, Hindmarsh in the second row, Gasnier at centre etc. is ridiculous to me.

RABK

Referee
Eelementary said:
Why is it when someone refuses to acknoweldge him as the best PLAYER he is wrong?

He is the best halfback at the moment by MILES...

But to say he could compete with guys like Webcke at prop, Hindmarsh in the second row, Gasnier at centre etc. is ridiculous to me.

Your ignorance is outstanding.

You are actually trying to say there can't be one greatest player because of the different positions in the game???

Please tell me no, if not... Credibility :arrow: window

Eelementary

Post Whore
Your ignorance is outstanding.

You are actually trying to say there can't be one greatest player because of the different positions in the game???

Please tell me no, if not... Credibility :arrow: window

Yep. Like I care.

Fact is, it's my opinion. The day Joey proves he can kill it in any position on the field is the day I call him the best player in the world.

But you don't care - obviously, your opinion is the correct one and your bias doesn't take other people's views into consideration.

Calling anyone the best player in the world to me is a slap in the face to other players - when was the last time Johns made 300+ metres in a match? Or made 60+ tackles in a match?

He is brilliant. No doubt about that.

RABK

Referee
Eelementary said:
Yep. Like I care.

Fact is, it's my opinion. The day Joey proves he can kill it in any position on the field is the day I call him the best player in the world.

But you don't care - obviously, your opinion is the correct one and your bias doesn't take other people's views into consideration.

Calling anyone the best player in the world to me is a slap in the face to other players - when was the last time Johns made 300+ metres in a match? Or made 60+ tackles in a match?

He is brilliant. No doubt about that.

Yup yet you will freely go about your merry way giving your opinion on the greatest wrestler in the world and off all time over in the wrestling forum. Hypocritical indeed.

Wrestlers have different styles, sizes etc yet you can declare a wrestler as been the greatest??? Give me a break.

:lol:

Kiwi

First Grade
Yup yet you will freely go about your merry way giving your opinion on the greatest wrestler in the world and off all time over in the wrestling forum. Hypocritical indeed.

Wrestlers have different styles, sizes etc yet you can declare a wrestler as been the greatest??? Give me a break.

:lol:

I can see E's point, don't agree that you can't name a best player in the world like him, but can see his point.

What good is Johns, Lockyer, Thurston ect with forwards not doing their job? A winger can't do his job if the guys inside him aren't doing theirs, all players rely on others in some way performing to do their job.

Like I said, don't agree with E, but can understand his point of view ( to bring up wrestling in this debate is like trying to bring up comic book characters in the same way, because you do know it's fake, if not sorry to spoil it for you ;-) )

Yosh

Coach
i wonder how it feels to be like johns. like kinda like michael jordan i guess. like wehn your walking out onto the field you would just know that you are unstoppable. what a great feeling. but i must say i would get a f**king huge head if i was that good. sometimes i would just do stuff so people would just clap and stuff.