What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Johns

Jordan

Juniors
Yeah, he is a great player obviously.. the best I've seen without a doubt. The thing I sort of find interesting though is that he didn't really take his game to the level he is at today until around 2000-2001 or so. I don't know if it's a coincedence or not, but it was around the same time Matt Johns left the knights. He needed to work on his game to make up for the loss I suppose..

Johns was a pretty good player before 2000, but I never once thought that he'd reach the best player the game has ever seen/ immortality/ messiah status he's got today. His progression as a player was different to those such as Benji and Sonny Bill who came into first grade and pretty much dominated from there debut.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm a League n00b. Only got into it back in 2001.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt - Andrew Johns is THE best halfback I have seen play.

Like the best second rower I personally have seen play would be Tallis - love Hindy, but Tallis was something else altogether. He was a freak - he oozed intensity and aggression. Great player to watch.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Alex28 said:
So, if you were to rate Soccer players would they need to be able to be a champion striker AND goalkeeper?

Yes. FOR ME. I'm not asking anyone to agree.

To me, comparing Johns to Webcke doesn't do justice to either player - they're different types of players and perform different duties.

It's not disrespectful to Johns - I don't like the man, but love watching the player play. He truly is a magician.

I just would prefer to label him the best halfback of all time. But that's me.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And to the person who asked me if I rate Bradman as the greatest cricketer of all time...No.

Greatest batsman of all time - without a doubt.

But I'm certain there were better bowlers than him, and better all-rounders too.

But as a stand-alone batsman, he is without peer.

effnic

Bench
Brian lara is the best but then again im from the carribean we call him duck or triple century.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Trevor Cogger said:
I appreciate its probably been discussed many times but honestly this man is the greatest to play our game and we are privilaged to see him play footy

Just like people would have said when Bradman played cricket

There is no one better than Johns and never has been

Johns = A freak of nature. We are privileged.

Trevor Cogger - What a BLAST FROM THE PAST!!! :D

The Coggers were a household name to those who dwelled in Rego whilst Trev was playing at Wests - my brother and I were around his brothers age and we all pretty much knocked around with the same mates at some point of time back then through Birrong High School - The Boys and the Girls. Berala Bears and the famous Callucio Wild Parties. :lol:

It's been a double blast with the family name Coggers though with me, what with Trev's brother Jamie being pictured in footage on prime time news and even making the front page of the Sunday Tele a few weeks ago - I know he's alright though through news from my own brother who still runs into Jamie down at the local bowlo.

Knightmare

Coach
effnic said:
Thats a shocking post especially after the percentage rate without him and oh i forgot they got beaten by the bottom side last week

Remember though that the Warriors were artificially on the bottom of the ladder- in terms of actual wins they were already ahead of Souths and level with Cronulla. The Warriors haven't been playing too badly either- there are scrappier teams in the comp at the moment.

nqboy

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
To be fair Dragons werent full strength at all. They still would have lost but they were missing Ryles, Baily, Timmins, Wes Naquima and Matty Head. Takes nothing away from Newcastle, they woulda killed anyone last night.
Yeah, it was a pretty stupid call saying the Dragons were near full strength.

nqboy

First Grade
Eelementary said:
Fact is, it's my opinion. The day Joey proves he can kill it in any position on the field is the day I call him the best player in the world.
So who's your best then? Buderus? Croker? Wing? Sounds like it has to be a utility player to get your vote.

nqboy

First Grade
Roy said:
johns is like crickets bradman no one will ever get close.
Wash your mouth out.There is no way on God's earth Joey is as superior to his peers as Bradman was to his. Joey's the best of his time. Before that it was Freddy, then Daley, then Wally and so on. No-one's ever got close to Bradman.

Comparing Joey to Viv Richards, Dennis Lillee, Sachin Tendulkar, McGrath or Warne - I'll accept that. But not Bradman.

nqboy said:
Wash your mouth out.There is no way on God's earth Joey is as superior to his peers as Bradman was to his. Joey's the best of his time. Before that it was Freddy, then Daley, then Wally and so on. No-one's ever got close to Bradman.

Comparing Joey to Viv Richards, Dennis Lillee, Sachin Tendulkar, McGrath or Warne - I'll accept that. But not Bradman.

I agree with that. Johns is a great player, and definitely the best there is at half back currently playing, but Bradman is head and shoulders above being brilliant.

To be honest, the myth of Johns has been blown out of proportion through channel 9 and other media forms. He has spent more time off the field recently than on it, and didn't really dominate origin like other players had until recently.

In terms of what Eelamentary is saying, I can see their point; that being it is only fair to compare players who play a similar role. A sport like swimming is one where you can easily compare people's results, but in a team game, there are so many players who make a valuable contribution. In that instance of comparison, I would compare players in similar positions, in terms of how far above the rest they are...

Anyway, in my opinion, Johns is a great player, but no greater than Daley, Langer, Stuart, Sterling, Kenny, Lewis etc etc... He is definitely NOT a Jordan or a Bradman because he hasn't had a sustained dominance through the different levels (club, origin, international), not even to the extent of the above players mentioned. Johns has been part of 2 premierships so far, one in the split competition, and until recently, he hasn't even been able to play origin in his preferred position consistently.

I'm not writing him off, and he is the best player at the moment, but his dominance and status is a myth. When he has achieved what those others have, and then more, then maybe he could be mentioned in his own category.

Eelementary

Post Whore
If it were up to me, I wouldn't have a best player im the world. In any sport in which there are different positions. That's my opinion - many people don't agree, and that's fine.

But to me, Joey is the BEST halfback in the game - possibly of the past few decades, even.

But there have been brilliant players over the years in different positions - Tallis, Fittler, Daley, Stuart, Lyons, Kenny, etc. They played in different eras and in different positions, hence why I personally don't like comparing them.

Eelementary

Post Whore
nqboy said:
So who's your best then? Buderus? Croker? Wing? Sounds like it has to be a utility player to get your vote.

Well that's the essence of my post, mate.

In MY MIND, you can't compare Hindmarsh and Webcke to Joey and Lockyer - because the former lads aren't as skillfull, but still brilliant players.

Eelementary

Post Whore
JoeysWheelchair05 said:
I agree with that. Johns is a great player, and definitely the best there is at half back currently playing, but Bradman is head and shoulders above being brilliant.

To be honest, the myth of Johns has been blown out of proportion through channel 9 and other media forms. He has spent more time off the field recently than on it, and didn't really dominate origin like other players had until recently.

In terms of what Eelamentary is saying, I can see their point; that being it is only fair to compare players who play a similar role. A sport like swimming is one where you can easily compare people's results, but in a team game, there are so many players who make a valuable contribution. In that instance of comparison, I would compare players in similar positions, in terms of how far above the rest they are...

Anyway, in my opinion, Johns is a great player, but no greater than Daley, Langer, Stuart, Sterling, Kenny, Lewis etc etc... He is definitely NOT a Jordan or a Bradman because he hasn't had a sustained dominance through the different levels (club, origin, international), not even to the extent of the above players mentioned. Johns has been part of 2 premierships so far, one in the split competition, and until recently, he hasn't even been able to play origin in his preferred position consistently.

I'm not writing him off, and he is the best player at the moment, but his dominance and status is a myth. When he has achieved what those others have, and then more, then maybe he could be mentioned in his own category.

Yep. Thanks for that, mate. That's exactly what I mean.

I don't mean to disrespect Andrew Johns - even though he's an opponent, I can't help but be mesmerised by him. He is an absolute footballing genius. And the best halfback going around.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
JoeysWheelchair05 said:

Johns is great no doubt about it but Bradman and Jordan are freaks of nature. Johns has not done enough to be put up on a pedestal as high as Bradman or Jordan. Don't be fooled by the media hype and his brothers verbal masterbation.

JJ

Immortal
Raiders Plight said:
Johns is great no doubt about it but Bradman and Jordan are freaks of nature. Johns has not done enough to be put up on a pedestal as high as Bradman or Jordan. Don't be fooled by the media hype and his brothers verbal masterbation.

I don't think there's another sport where someone stands out from everyone else to the extent that Bradman does.

Jordan certainly does not, although he may well be the best ever... plenty of other great basketballers have career records (or are developing them) that are comparable with Jordan's - Jordan is another example of what great talent, charisma and clever marketing can achieve... he's VERY comparable with Johns IMO

B-dos

Referee
Anyway, in my opinion, Johns is a great player, but no greater than Daley, Langer, Stuart, Sterling, Kenny, Lewis etc etc...

Johns is better than all of those players. Lewis may have some claims to greatness but the others were only good players of their time. Johns is one of the best ever.

Mr Saab

Referee
Really? how many bballers have 6 rings, 6 finals MVPs, 5 reg season MVPs, career avg of 30 a game, 32/3 in the playoffs, could play D with the best of them (all NBA defesive player multiple times...2 time Defensive player of the yr. Sorry, no NBA player matches MJ.
Jordan was better at his sport than what Johns was at his.

JJ

Immortal
Mr Saab said:
Really? how many bballers have 6 rings, 6 finals MVPs, 5 reg season MVPs, career avg of 30 a game, 32/3 in the playoffs, could play D with the best of them (all NBA defesive player multiple times...2 time Defensive player of the yr. Sorry, no NBA player matches MJ.
Jordan was better at his sport than what Johns was at his.

I didn't mean matches, I meant comparable - IMO there is no way Jordan is as far ahead as Bradman...

Off the top of my head, Chamberlain, Russell, Kareem, Johnson, Bird, Walton, McHale, Bryant, O'Neal, Duncan, Malone (K and M) all are "comparable"...

as for the statement above that Lewis had "claims of greatness" and Kenny, Sterling etc were merely good players... PPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTT

Mr Saab

Referee
Leave Bradman out of this, his impact on his sport is unmatched.
Duncan, Mchale, Walton... in Jordans class? I wont even debate how crazy that is.
Bryant? What has he done compared to MJ? 3 rings on the back of Shaq. No MVPs, No finals MVP....and will never win one as he wont get back to June.
Magic and Bird is highly debatable, both supreme players.
Wilt, impressive offensive numbers and rebounding, but was not a winner like MJ.