What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

annual report 2014

insert.pause

First Grade
The lack of accountability is one of the main issues the clubs have , the NRL is spending so much money (that isn't on the areas that need it) and they are not telling anyone what its being spent on or even that its being spent, eg the lies about how much cash the NRL has in its coffers.

I do agree that it should not be run by the clubs, but the NRL needs to be run by people that have a clue and want to run it to benefit the entire game, not just first grade and the administrators themselves.

Not hard evidence but anecdotal, and very high management type from the NRL was asked by a local junior league official about strategies to keep kids in RL when they move to an age group and AFL plays on the same day. Basically the NRL guy said, "who cares let them go and play AFL"

They haven't lied about how much cash they have.

The NRL are accountable to a board, the same as the vast majority of organisations throughout the world. What you describe is a lack of transparency.

The clubs want more money, they don't care where it comes from, they think if it's not being spent on them then it's being wasted on trivial pursuits.

If that's true I don't blame you for feeling that way.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...367520032?nk=bc7985c2fecae4d48b74dfdae320abb4

NRL facing separate financial claims from players and chairmen

The Australian
May 25, 2015 12:00AM

The NRL is facing the prospect of financial contretemps on two fronts.

Not only are some of the game’s most powerful clubs seeking a greater share of revenue, the players are also in the throes of scouring the NRL’s books as they attempt to discover whether they should be getting a greater cut of a bigger pie. The clubs and players, whose interests are often at loggerheads, find their interests intertwined. Under the terms of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Rugby League Players Association has the right to review the game's finances.

The relevant clause states that by March 1, the NRL and RLPA jointly undertake a review of the profitability of the game in Australia, focusing in particular on the finances of the NRL, National Youth Competition and representative football. That process is already under way, creating the prospect that the players union could seek an increase in the salary cap for the final two years of the current CBA.

The repercussions are significant. In the case of Daly Cherry-Evans, who continues to make ambiguous statements over his future and the prospects of honouring his commitment to join the Gold Coast Titans next season, it could mean Manly are able to further increase their offer to the Queensland and Australia representative.

Of greater concern may be the ramifications for clubs, and the NRL, if the RLPA is successful in arguing the players should receive more money. The end result could be an increase in the salary cap, which will heap additional financial pressure on clubs who are already crying poor. They, in turn, will stick their hands out.

The NRL will find it difficult to say no. The game's governing body is wading in rivers of gold. Only recently, they trumpeted a new deal with betting agencies that is in line to bring in an additional $30 million over the next three years.

No doubt the RLPA read with interest when that figure was splashed across the back pages of newspapers. State of Origin, already an omnipotent force on the sporting landscape, continues to grow at a rapid rate. More than 70,000 people are expected to be at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night for Origin I.

Melbourne’s MCG will be bursting at the seams for Origin II. A sellout at Suncorp Stadium for the final game is considered a fait accompli. Amid that backdrop, some clubs and their respective chairmen continue to agitate for change.

The mood between those powerbrokers and the NRL borders on toxic. Emotions are running high ahead of a meeting between the NRL and chairmen where grievances will be aired.

Weighing heavily in favour of Grant and chief executive Dave Smith is the emphatic support of the Queensland Rugby League, which holds a powerful position under the commission's structure. Constitutional change is nigh on impossible without the QRL’s support. QRL chairman Peter Betros insists his organisation is 100 per cent in support of the commission, has no complaints and would never consider voting against them.

So basically the same greedy bastards want more money .

Someone should give them a trip down memory lane ,& show them how things were 5 yrs ago .

BuffaloRules

Coach
I don't begrudge the players earning what they can out of the game..

They are the ones literally putting their bodies on the line for our entertainment and they are the reason for every dollar that comes into the game...

betcats

Referee
How is there no accountability?

I don't what KBW is referring too but there is a complete lack of accountability at NRL HQ. Has a ref been dropped all year? What ever dodgey richo pulled with the souths/Arizona drama got completely buried and they fed us bullshit, same with greenberg covering up the Barba stuff.

betcats

Referee
So basically the same greedy bastards want more money .

Someone should give them a trip down memory lane ,& show them how things were 5 yrs ago .

The players should absolutely be getting as much as possible. The TV rights money should be more spread out amongst the clubs to allow the players to earn more. People turn on the tv to watch their favourite teams, there is no TV deal without the clubs no matter what people say, you cant replace half the clubs and not ruin the comp.

insert.pause

First Grade
The players should absolutely be getting as much as possible. The TV rights money should be more spread out amongst the clubs to allow the players to earn more. People turn on the tv to watch their favourite teams, there is no TV deal without the clubs no matter what people say, you cant replace half the clubs and not ruin the comp.

that's not what the clubs want, they want a larger grant, not salary cap. Any increase to the cap without commensurate rise in the grant only puts more strain on clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So what funding reductions would you save from to pay clubs and players more money? Reality is any good business knows to make more money you have to invest. NRL ha was a joke and what we are seeing now is the building of the infrastructure to make the game strong and sustainable. We have many more expenses than AFL has yet are still spending less running the game at the moment.

betcats

Referee
that's not what the clubs want, they want a larger grant, not salary cap. Any increase to the cap without commensurate rise in the grant only puts more strain on clubs.

Its doesn't have to be all or nothing though, they can compromise.

But seriously I am right in saying out of 1.1 billion dollar TV deal the clubs and players are pulling in a combined 120million? That's not really a decent percentage for either the players or the clubs.

betcats

Referee
So what funding reductions would you save from to pay clubs and players more money? Reality is any good business knows to make more money you have to invest. NRL ha was a joke and what we are seeing now is the building of the infrastructure to make the game strong and sustainable. We have many more expenses than AFL has yet are still spending less running the game at the moment.

Yes I keep hearing this infrastructure fluff but in 3 years this new expanded NRL HQ is still getting all the same shit wrong as the previous administration. I am yet to see any benefits that would justify the increased spending. The crowds are not better. The TV ratings are not better. The draw is not better. Player behaviour or the handling of that is not better. The clubs are not running any better. We have gotten no where in terms of expansion. the refs are possibly worse and same for the MRC.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade

But seriously I am right in saying out of 1.1 billion dollar TV deal the clubs and players are pulling in a combined 120million? That's not really a decent percentage for either the players or the clubs.

no, that's not right. $132m annually out of broadcast revenue of 224m a year went to clubs in 2014.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No you aren't right. Out of a $1.1bilion TV deal,clubs will get in the region of $700million of it. Out of that players will get around $550mill.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

You understand the NRL dont get that 1.1billion every year, right???

Its a bit over $200mil from which the players get their $120million.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes I keep hearing this infrastructure fluff but in 3 years this new expanded NRL HQ is still getting all the same shit wrong as the previous administration. I am yet to see any benefits that would justify the increased spending. The crowds are not better. The TV ratings are not better. The draw is not better. Player behaviour or the handling of that is not better. The clubs are not running any better. We have gotten no where in terms of expansion. the refs are possibly worse and same for the MRC.

How are these possibly the indicators to judge the ARLC by?!?!? particularly after only 3 years...

The crowds are not better. not really the ARLCs problem, thats for the clubs to deal with. On the other hand, fan interaction and general participation is up massively.

The TV ratings are not better. This is a long term indicator. were you expecting the ARLC to shoot a magic bullet and double the viewership every year?

The draw is not better. Theyre kind of stuck with that given the TV deal. if the draw is still shit for the next deal, then by all means get pissy, but what we have now is the culmination of of the last 15 years.

Player behaviour or the handling of that is not better. bullshit!! just because the telegraph tells you "this is the worst year yet" doesnt make it true. And the integrity unit has been pretty bloody solid and consistent.

The clubs are not running any better. not for lack of trying in the ARLCs part. Theyve shown their hand on their prefered club structure, its just the conservative factions and the Old Boys Clubs f*cking them around ATM

We have gotten no where in terms of expansion. The review is on its way as promised. Would you prefer they leaked half finished reports to the Telegraph or would you rather the game was run with a bit of professionalism. (i personally support the latter)

the refs are possibly worse and same for the MRC. Worse? seriously?? again, just because the Telegraph tells you "this is the worst year yet" doesnt make it true. Refs make mistakes, they always have and always will, and RL is probably the most demanding sport for refs in the world. Thats not even to mention the fact that fans scream about 50/50 calls, refs cant please everyone....

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
How are these possibly the indicators to judge the ARLC by?!?!? particularly after only 3 years...

The crowds are not better. not really the ARLCs problem, thats for the clubs to deal with. On the other hand, fan interaction and general participation is up massively.

The TV ratings are not better. This is a long term indicator. were you expecting the ARLC to shoot a magic bullet and double the viewership every year?

The draw is not better. Theyre kind of stuck with that given the TV deal. if the draw is still shit for the next deal, then by all means get pissy, but what we have now is the culmination of of the last 15 years.

Player behaviour or the handling of that is not better. bullshit!! just because the telegraph tells you "this is the worst year yet" doesnt make it true. And the integrity unit has been pretty bloody solid and consistent.

The clubs are not running any better. not for lack of trying in the ARLCs part. Theyve shown their hand on their prefered club structure, its just the conservative factions and the Old Boys Clubs f*cking them around ATM

We have gotten no where in terms of expansion. The review is on its way as promised. Would you prefer they leaked half finished reports to the Telegraph or would you rather the game was run with a bit of professionalism. (i personally support the latter)

the refs are possibly worse and same for the MRC. Worse? seriously?? again, just because the Telegraph tells you "this is the worst year yet" doesnt make it true. Refs make mistakes, they always have and always will, and RL is probably the most demanding sport for refs in the world. Thats not even to mention the fact that fans scream about 50/50 calls, refs cant please everyone....

The refs are worse imo. Every game I have watched there seems to be a different interpretation of the rules, more specifically ruck interpretations. What was a penalty one week for some reason isn't the next. They certainly have not improved at all.

The so called integrity unit is a joke and the handling of player misbehaviour has been ridiculous and inconsistent. I.E Gallen hammered with a big fine for a tweet with a naughty word but Souths Burgess and Sutton make fools of themselves, get arrested and charged with assault then pay the victim to make it go away and then 'forget' to mention it to the NRL meanwhile the integrity unit didn't even look into it and have to re-open the 'investigation' once some journo finds out more than they knew in a day, and they still get a much less significant penalty then Gallen for the naughty word. How you can argue they handle player misbehaviour better is beyond me, you seem obsessed with the DT or something, you use that same argument like 3 time and I haven't mentioned them previously to this.

The MRC is worse lol look at the discussion that has been going on all season with confusing suspensions when compared to each other. Junior Paulo, Bird, Reynolds, Peachey...once again it seems ridiculous you would argue this point, who mentioned the DT?? WTF lol.

As for crowds and TV ratings, yes I expect them to grow after the games income more than doubles, stop making excuses I am not asking for miracles just some of the promised growth to start happening. Have they even decided what they are doing with the stadiums? It seems they have a new stadium strategy every few months.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
On the plus side:
I like the investment in PI's and PNG
I like the realignment of touch footy with RL, in this country at least
I like that club grants have gone up from $4mill to $7mill in a couple of years plus extra support for struggling clubs plus one off hand outs plus Storm ongoing investment to grow the interest in Melbourne
I like that the NRL is no longer going to let failed clubs continue to do the same thing the same way and expect different results
I like that they are saying playing in antiquated grounds in front of less than 10k people is no longer acceptable at this level
I like that they are taking a well considered and long term view to expansion at the NRL level
I like that they pay you more for playing for your country than they do your state
I like that they are now paying NRL players to play International footy whichever country
I like that they have increased funding to the NSWRl and QRL and improved the second tier comps

There's plenty of things I don't like but its not all bad.