What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another AFL wanker bagging out the great game

Kiki

First Grade
wow it's all starting to come out now huh? i hope it continues.

people may give the teenage girl from Melbourne sh*t but she has balls and she was obviously trying to get revenge on a system she feels wronged by....looks like she's started a movement of some kind.

no doubt there will be zero consequences for the players or the clubs tho. coz thats how AFL works. ughhhhh

Gaba

First Grade
AFL excuse will be females wanting money , unfortunately way things have turn out in other sports including league , females have shown thats what they mainly purpose go public for is too get money , when females have a legitimate case they will be made they want money not they feel the system has wrong them.

Thats the way the AFL will defend themselves

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/it-was-awful-a-girls-own-misadventure-20101225-197ky.html

It was awful: a girl's own misadventure
Peter Munro
December 26, 2010

"In a way I feel a victim . . . but now I feel like, in a way, they're being portrayed as victims as well because I've released photos of them and breached their privacy."

"In a way I feel a victim . . . but now I feel like, in a way, they're being portrayed as victims as well because I've released photos of them and breached their privacy." Photo: Michael Clayton-Jones

She has a small love heart tattooed on her inner left wrist, with the words: “Sucess [sic] is the best revenge” – deliberately misspelt, she reckons, because everyone has imperfections.

The marks on her right wrist tell a different tale: five horizontal scars from cuts she gave herself during a drunken night in August, she says, after being spurned by the St Kilda AFL football player she still loves. Look here and she seems the vulnerable 17-year-old victim of men with money and fame. Her tattoo instead points to a woman scorned. Who she is depends on which side you take.

Landing at Melbourne Airport on Thursday – into the firestorm she sparked by making public nude photographs of two Saints players, Nick Riewoldt and Nick Dal Santo – she is a little of both. She courts the media scrum in a short black dress after crying in the car park alone, facing the cameras with her makeup – blue eyeshadow, red lips – still neat. Does she feel like a victim?

“Um, I did, but since I released these photos I feel it's a sort of 50-50 situation.

“In a way I still feel a victim to what they've done to me but now I feel like in a way they're being portrayed as victims as well because I've released photos of them and breached their privacy in a sense.”

The next day she is ordered by the Federal Court to hand over the nude photos and destroy any copies in her possession. Justice Shane Marshall orders her name be suppressed: “If the court can't protect the children, what can it do?”

In person, she has a child's charms and faults writ large. She is contrary, naive, vain, full of bluster but vulnerable, a lone teen on the wrong side of the biggest game in town. It's hard to know how much of what she says is true. Late night at the airport, the media pack dispersed, she stands alone smoking. We share a taxi into the city, where she will stay the night with a friend.

Between answering prank calls on her mobile phone, she says she is scared by what's ahead of her. “I don't really think about the future . . . because obviously it is not looking very good.”

In a local newspaper article last year she spoke of her success in athletics and her dream of winning a sports scholarship to study in the United States. This year, she says, she went “off the rails” and has been arrested several times for shoplifting, drug use, assault and trespass. She escaped each charge, and feels invincible. “I don't even know what happened. It's just like I woke up one day and decided to be like that. It would start off with getting a fake ID or smoking or going out to nightclubs . . . I was doing sort of glamour modelling as well and I liked that life because for about seven years all I was doing was running. I had never been out before, I didn't really have that many friends and I was sort of, in a way, sheltered from the real world – it was basically eat, sleep and train.

“So then I had a taste of that lifestyle and even more when I met the AFL players . . . It gives you that sort of buzz being around them as well, and then I just couldn't step it down from being up that high.”

But, she says, “I think they treat girls pathetically. It's not right at all.”

She was 16 in February when several Saints players visited her high school in Melbourne's south-east for a community camp event. A month later she was at an athletics competition in Sydney when the Saints beat the Swans. She waited with a friend near the change rooms.

“They didn't even question my age from the start because they recognised me from the school clinic. When we went back to the hotel room, [they asked] how old I was and I said, 'I'll be 17 in a few months,' and they were like, 'Oh yeah, OK, that's legal.' ”

Two St Kilda players were later cleared by police and the AFL of any wrongdoing.

Later, she says, she started seeing defender Sam Gilbert. “It made me feel like I was this really special girl who had sort of just been in the right place at the right time. I felt really, I don't know, kind of cool in front of my friends and everything but after a while, after everything had happened, I realised I never want to be in that world again. It's awful.”

In April, she says, she became pregnant with twins but lost both. When the news broke, Gilbert would not return her texts or calls, she says.

“To anyone who has been in love, you can hate them so much but then, at the end of the day, you realise you still love them. The doctors blamed the first miscarriage on stress. I was going through such a hard time with being called a s**t and everyone making out I had slept with half of the AFL . . . I got to the point where I was having to take antidepressants and sleeping tablets at night.

“I was not sleeping for days on end. I would just sit up on my laptop reading article after article about myself . . . I was just so obsessed with wanting to know what the world was saying about me and trying to defend myself at the same time.”

She carries around newspaper cuttings on herself in her handbag and posts regular updates to her 12,000 Twitter followers.

Carolyn Worth, convener of Victorian Centres Against Sexual Assault, says the teenager does not fit the typical profile of a sexual assault victim. “I think she perceives herself as a victim of the AFL. It looks as though she feels she has come up against a large corporate entity that basically worked her over and treated her with disrespect.

“I think she's more working as a woman scorned . . . It's a bit like 'fight or flight' – she's fighting. From my perspective she's still a teenager, she's been pregnant allegedly to one of the players, she's had group sex with them and she doesn't look that old – so I wonder what the players were thinking.”

The teenager says she wants to be a spokeswoman for women who feel used and abused by football players.

On Thursday night she and her parents returned to Melbourne from a holiday on the Gold Coast. Her parents left on the bus, leaving her at the airport to face the media. She said they had stopped talking to her since she released the photos online last Monday.

“I guess they knew this was going to happen. Just being an immature 17-year-old, I guess that's how I would describe myself.”

She plans to start a journalism degree in February. But after Friday's court appearance she sat on a park bench, playing with her mobile. “I don't know where to go from here."

By midnight she had found her way, tweeting that she was “so juiced up” on a “big nite out”. Then at 6.30am yesterday she tweeted: “chrissy with da parents todaii xxx.”

Later she explained: "mum invited me over for christmas, only because dad wont be there (main conflict)."

Perth Red

Post Whore
sad tale all round, hopefully she can sort her life out and her parents can get their act together and support her better.

Kiki

First Grade
poor thing. i just wanna take her away from everything and make her better. her own parents won't even support her, jesus what hope has she got.

teenage girls are so incredibly vulnerable, i know i was. i know 16 is the legal age of consent but any grown man having sexual relationships with a teenage girl is seriously messed up....especially group sex. jesus.

they should be ashamed of themselves.

Kiki

First Grade
i just hope u guys would have the sympathy if we substituted AFL players for NRL players in this situation.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the media would never have let it get to this stage if was an NRL player

the media treatment this girl has received in the past and is still currently getting would have played a large part in it imo

Kiki

First Grade
oh no i agree, if this was NRL players it woulda been like SCHOOLGIRL GROUP RAPE across the front of the paper. and it wouldn't be covered up.

and i agree a lot of her rage is from the mistreatement she's received from the establishment. that wouldn't happen in league.

i'm just saying, i hope this never happens with NRL players but i would hope u guys would have the same sympathy for a vulnerable teenage girl if it did.

Titanic

First Grade
Totally agree Kiki, however, the preferential soft landings that the AFL enjoys from the vast majority of the combined media is in itself sickening ... if this had been the NRL all players involved would have been under contract in England now because that's where our idiots generally end up ... the Poms don't seem to care.

Gee and having seen NickR's pics then if he's innocent then I'm from Mars ... his petulant whining for understanding is as disgraceful as his attitude to this young girl.

Kiki

First Grade
AFL players are treated like a protected species but our boys are lynched for looking sideways. makes me sick.

but as i said earlier, i'm glad league is honest and transparent when it comes to this stuff. as a female AFL fan i would be absolutely HORRIFIED to see a teenage girl treated like this by the game.

i'm glad i never have to feel that way about league. we may have our faults but at least we front up to them.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Has this Martin Flanagan said anything at all about this or is it only NRL players who he seems to notice

Rexxy

Coach
Moral judgments aside, itis looking like the girl didnt take the photo, so is not the legal owner of the picture she published on facebook. anyone else who publishes that pic would also be in danger of legal action. It's an important because what adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms, no matter how ridiculous, is between consenting adults and no one elses business.
With the Joel Monaghan pic, the person who took the pic decided to send it on. He or she is the copyright owner. I'm guessing that's why they were ultimately published and there were no copyright infringements or legal charges. Again, moral judgements aside...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Did Monaghan give permission for his photo to be distrbuted? Was permission sought?

It has been my view for a while now that issues like this are a matter of privacy.

The difference here is that Monaghan took the full brunt - wrongly imo.

In St Kilda's case, the blame is being distributed far and wide.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Yeah it's funny how with the Monaghan drama, he took the brunt of every criticism and was basically forced out of the NRL for it while the person who took/distributed the pic got away scot free, yet in the AFL case the people in the pictures are being defended and seen as victims while the person who distributed them is the one getting attacked.

Obviously simulating a sex act with a dog is f**ked up, but so is jerking off in front of your mates.

Rexxy

Coach
Not commenting on the content, but I don't think you have to give your permission to have your image published by a newspaper or to appear on the Internet. Unless it's used commercially, when a release form will be produced for you to sign. There are no rights to privacy, just look at how the paparazzi operate. it's all about copyright.

Did Monaghan give permission for his photo to be distrbuted? Was permission sought?

It has been my view for a while now that issues like this are a matter of privacy.

El Diablo

Post Whore

it's double standrds galore in AFL

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/13/2845063.htm

Bingle lawyers return serve to AFL

Posted Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:48pm AEDT

Lara Bingle's legal team has hit back at the AFL, saying the league would not accept the original complaint over the Brendan Fevola photo saga.

On Friday AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou publicly accused Bingle's lawyers of being uncooperative while also taking a swipe at her agent Max Markson.

Having already spoken to Fevola over the infamous nude photograph, Demetriou said the AFL had "made several requests to interview Ms Bingle but they haven't agreed to those requests, that's their prerogative".

But law firm Kennedys, who are representing Bingle, has released a statement in response attacking the AFL.

"She is not the one under investigation and she made her complaint publicly and clearly this week in a national women's magazine," the statement, which was released in point form, read.

"Further, since the AFL refused to accept her public complaint, we made the complaint on her behalf to the AFL.

"We became very concerned when the AFL would not even accept the complaint we made on her behalf before they proceeded with their investigation."

The release went on to state that the firm had sent two statutory declarations on Saturday before, curiously, demanding the AFL release the two declarations - plus any correspondence with Fevola.

"Since the AFL wants to conduct their investigation in public, we now call on the AFL to release to the public those statutory declarations, Brendan Fevola's statement and the email correspondence with us since they started their so-called 'investigation'," it read.

"Lara Bingle did not take the photo, did not keep it, did not circulate it and did not publicise it - and in these circumstances the AFL still demanded that she make herself available to a tape-recorded interview by their investigator.

"It is not surprising that we have acted to protect Lara from this interrogation by the AFL when she has been subjected to two weeks of one of the most disgraceful and unprecedented attacks on character in this country.

"It was completely insensitive and oppressive for the AFL to pursue her in this manner at this time."

The statement also said the AFL had "a clear conflict of interest" and the investigation of Fevola should be referred to an independent body or person, "preferably a woman, such as a judge or senior counsel".

Bingle's lawyers then ended their statement by saying: "Finally, we are not seeking publicity by this media release.

"This is intended to be a response to the publicity sought by the AFL for its investigation. It is intended to address serious matters that needed to be said for the record."

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Im sure youre right rexxy. But its interrsting how the two matters have been dealt with.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Add to that the fact that the St Kilda have won a court order instructing that all photographs must be destroyed. I appreciate that this is based on the claim that the images were stolen.

Nevertheless, they are going after this teenager big time and sending a clear message that you don't mess with the AFL. The judge is of the view that the girl should remain anonymous and she needs some protection. But St Kilda want her named and shamed. Not just satisfied with having the images destroyed, they also want to sue for damages and seem intent on making an example of some naive kid.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ay-says-st-kilda/story-e6frf9jf-1225975629618

I don't think you have to give your permission to have your image published by a newspaper or to appear on the Internet. Unless it's used commercially, when a release form will be produced for you to sign. There are no rights to privacy, just look at how the paparazzi operate. it's all about copyright.

Latest posts