What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another sh*tty crowd in Sid-a-nee

Misty Bee

First Grade
And yeah, the deathriding allegation is true. There have been many possible reasons given for the low crowd. Wiping them away without thought is simply looking for an excuse to deathride.

What was the excuse for the 12000 Tri Nations crowd a few years back?

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
Check my history fool, I'm one of International Footy's staunchest supporters. I'm just down on the Sydney-centric bias in the game and the disdain that Sydney people show for the game by not turning up to support it.

And yet you still avoid the question, yet quote a post that has nothing to do with you...paranoid Eelboy?

nqboy

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
What is this Sydney centric crap that you are on about? How is the game Sydney centric?
It's self-evident. If you need an explanation, you'll never understand it. Good night.

Big Pete

Referee
Boys Boys and Bee's.

Point is this was the Grand Final, who cares what happened back in the day? It was the Tri Nations Grand Final and Sydney drew SFA.

Obviously keep some Test matches in Sydney but in the future reward Brisbane and Melbourne with more important matches. It's only fair.

bartman

Immortal
2004 Tri Nations Final - Elland Road Leeds. Aus v GB, crowd 39,120 (capacity 40,204)

2005 Tri Nations Final - Elland Road Leeds. NZ v Aus, crowd 26,534 - home team not even in final!

2006 Tri Nations Final - Aussie Stadium Sydney. Aus v NZ, crowd 27,325 - pretty woeful in my book for a "home" final.

about 50% of Sydney people would not of known this tournament was even happening it was so poorly advertised down here. I was at the game and I will say the crowd was extremely vocal for only 27k.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The problem lies with the scheduling. Why schedule the game in SYDNEY on the Saturday in the middle of the 1st Ashes test! No wonder there was no publicity! If you had to play it this weekend, it should have been in Brisbane, as quite a few more Poms would have gone! IMO, I was at the game and there were quite a few Poms there! Imagine if they took the game to the place the cricket is on at..BRISBANE! Would have sold the game out easily!

Bob8

Juniors
mattyg said:
You and your sydney centric Bullsh*t. We gave a game to each city on the eastern seaboard, we gave a sydney origin game to melbourne ffs. When are you going to get over it?

Ever thought people might turn up because of the distinct lack of media surrounding the game. Let alone the fact that everyone is so tied up in the ashes at the moment, and it was a boiling hot day in Sydney today. Apparently in the paper the other day there was one page on RL, and that was about willie mason supporting cancer. Nothing about tri nations teams, details or anything. The media have been attacking RL all week. Its about time the game is marketed better, especially in Sydney, then we might see some improvement.

Stop whining, mate.

Your lot one, surely the complaints have to stop some time?

Quidgybo

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Quidgey - Your example is flawed, because your figures are flawed.
I don't see how. It's just multiplication - a x b = c. The figures don't need to reflect reality to demonstrate that lowering the number of teams (a) doesn't automatically lead to less overall support if there is corresponding rise in supporters (b) for each of the remaining clubs. Again all I did was point out that flaw in your logic. I have no idea if the reality of the NRL in Sydney has gone up or down overall because I haven't sat down with a calculator and run the figures. My gut feeling is that the change either way isn't going to be enough to draw a solid argument that relates it to bad crowds for Test matches in Sydney. Again, run the figures and find out.

Illawarra was considered a Sydney team by the NRL, and being closer to the SFS than Penrith or Wests (Campbelltown), would be very much in the equasion. BTW, Saints/Illawaracrowds are NOT double Saints and Steelers crowds.
It doesn't matter which teams you designate as Sydney or not. Include Illawarra or exlude them. It only changes the equation from 12 dropping to 9 instead of 11 dropping to 8.5. It still doesn't say anything about how support has changed on an overall basis or how it has changed on a per club basis between the original 11 or 12 and the current 8.5 or 9.

BTW, good morning ;-)
Gee thanks. Like a woman, Rugby League can keep you awake all night worrying or all night in anticipation. Sometimes it's worth it.

Leigh.

Misty Bee

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
The problem lies with the scheduling. Why schedule the game in SYDNEY on the Saturday in the middle of the 1st Ashes test! No wonder there was no publicity! If you had to play it this weekend, it should have been in Brisbane, as quite a few more Poms would have gone! IMO, I was at the game and there were quite a few Poms there! Imagine if they took the game to the place the cricket is on at..BRISBANE! Would have sold the game out easily!

One of your best! :lol::lol::lol:

It's all Brisbane's fault for playing a slow and boring sport that appeals to fat poms and statistics nutters 1000 km's north! Should have played it in Huddersfield to attract more poms - :lol:

I heard you bought 13000 tickets for your mates in LA but couldn't fit 'em all into your lear jet.

Quidgey, your theory is correct. However, you can't ignore figures, because in this case the figures show that your theory doesn't apply in this case. You can't make a judgement if your figures are inaccurate.

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Im not saying its the sole reason, geez louise, didnt think that needed spelling out but it seems it does.
Maybe ...just maybe its a small part of the problem...but just continue on ignoring possible reasons that get thrown up, makes it easier to lay the boot in eh?
Who knows what the problem is?
I dont think its one problem, its a lot of things all combining.

So why are those issues not combining for other big events like SOO and Grand Finals? It comes down to Sydney not appreciating Test football and it's been that way for a while. There are other parts of Australia that can get bigger crowds, even venues like Energy Australia and Dairy Farmers could match them currently. So yes I will continue to stick the boot in while Sydney continues to be allocated Tests as every report on this side of the ditch was concluded with the line of it's a shame it's going to be a poor crowd, it's embarrassing for the image of Test football.

ucantseeme

Juniors
2005 Tri Nations Final - Elland Road Leeds. NZ v Aus, crowd 26,534 - home team not even in final!

2006 Tri Nations Final - Aussie Stadium Sydney. Aus v NZ, crowd 27,325 - pretty woeful in my book for a "home" final.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder what the crowd would have been if it was a GB vs NZ 3N Final instead. It probably would have been bigger.

As far as promotion goes, there were daily 1/4 page ads in the sport section of the Daily Telegraph spruiking tickets & also a discount if you bought tickets to the GB game & final together. I was a bit disappointed with the media coverage, but I guess everyone except Steve Mascord is on holidays.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
So why are those issues not combining for other big events like SOO and Grand Finals? It comes down to Sydney not appreciating Test football and it's been that way for a while. There are other parts of Australia that can get bigger crowds, even venues like Energy Australia and Dairy Farmers could match them currently. So yes I will continue to stick the boot in while Sydney continues to be allocated Tests as every report on this side of the ditch was concluded with the line of it's a shame it's going to be a poor crowd, it's embarrassing for the image of Test football.

I already told you I dont know the answers, I dont think anybody does, all I can relay to you is my own experiences, which with the club I support has seen a massive shift of support base over the past few years from the traditional to the new.
27,000 went, yet you say Sydney dont appreciate test footy....27,000 do.
Not good enough for YOU though...get over yourself.

salivor

First Grade
27000 is pathetic just by this tournaments standards alone. As has been stated 26,000 turned up in England for a game not involving Great Britain last year. This is a country that's crowds and support don't match what we produce in the NRL and in particular what Sydney draws.

It's not about being not good enough for me, it shouldn't be good enough for anybody as it's not good enough for the image of Test football and it's not good for the image of the tournament, that's reality. If Sydney doesn't want to get out and support Test football then the matches should be taken to the likes of Brisbane, Melbourne, Townsville and Newcastle.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
27000 is pathetic just by this tournaments standards alone. As has been stated 26,000 turned up in England for a game not involving Great Britain last year. This is a country that's crowds and support don't match what we produce in the NRL and in particular what Sydney draws.

It's not about being not good enough for me, it shouldn't be good enough for anybody as it's not good enough for the image of Test football and it's not good for the image of the tournament, that's reality. If Sydney doesn't want to get out and support Test football then the matches should be taken to the likes of Brisbane, Melbourne, Townsville and Newcastle.

Youre a f**kin idiot...thank god we have people WITH some semblance of a clue running the game, unlike you, who if it were up to, to run the game would punish those 27000 that DID turn up by giving them nothing in future, great way to grow the game dont you think?

Its 27000 people, there were NRL games this year that drew 6, 7, 8k...but please continue to carry on like its the end of the world, i mean, its all you got, isnt it?

salivor

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Youre a f**kin idiot...thank god we have people WITH some semblance of a clue running the game, unlike you, who if it were up to, to run the game would punish those 27000 that DID turn up by giving them nothing in future, great way to grow the game dont you think?

Its 27000 people, there were NRL games this year that drew 6, 7, 8k...but please continue to carry on like its the end of the world, i mean, its all you got, isnt it?

You mean those same people with a semblance of a clue who want to take the match away from Brisbane next year because they're getting too much football? The same Brisbane that's drawn 3 consecutive 40k plus crowds. Yep they've got a clue alright.

It's not about punishing the 27k that did turn up, it's rewarding other areas that are prepared to show more support to the International game. Melbourne and Brisbane both outdrew Sydney this year so should be put before Sydney when it comes to allocating future tests. There's little doubt also that Townsville and Newcastle could pack out their respective venues.

Now run along, so far all you've come up with is insult after insult rather than debating the points. Funny I believe there is another thread where you got a little sensitive when I attacked someone elses opinion. Pot, kettle, black and all.

Quidgybo

Bench
Misty Bee said:
You can't make a judgement if your figures are inaccurate.
Likewise you can't make a judgement without even checking the figures (in relation to per club support levels between then and now). As I said, I have no idea what the outcome would be one way or the other.

Leigh.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
You mean those same people with a semblance of a clue who want to take the match away from Brisbane next year because they're getting too much football? The same Brisbane that's drawn 3 consecutive 40k plus crowds. Yep they've got a clue alright.

It's not about punishing the 27k that did turn up, it's rewarding other areas that are prepared to show more support to the International game. Melbourne and Brisbane both outdrew Sydney this year so should be put before Sydney when it comes to allocating future tests. There's little doubt also that Townsville and Newcastle could pack out their respective venues.

Now run along, so far all you've come up with is insult after insult rather than debating the points. Funny I believe there is another thread where you got a little sensitive when I attacked someone elses opinion. Pot, kettle, black and all.

I havent opposed this argument at all , never have despite you alluding otherwise...., in fact I agree, put Melbourne and Brisbane first, they have the runs on the board, but you cannot exclude Sydney totally.

Try and gow up and drop the petty childish insults eh?

Cheezel

Juniors
I was at the GB v AUS game at Aussie & the game last night and it seemed like there was heaps more then the 27000 reported. The atmosphere alone was loads better as well. Maybe not the best crowd but I have seen worse.

I wonder if Brisbane would have got 44000 to the game if the the ashes was not on. Not that I am taking anything away from the brissy crowd as it looked great on TV and broke some records.

The 2008 World Cup Final will be in Sydney as it will sell out as an event. The potential 80000 gate will be to much for the RLIF to pass up. If Suncorp had a bigger capacity then 52000 Bris would be in the box seat for the final. Unless they move it to the cricket ground.