What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Choc Watmough

Anthony Watmough set for $2 million soother if injury forces retirement
PARRAMATTA will be spared *carrying the $2 million salary cap burden of Anthony Watmough should the star back-rower be forced into early retirement.

Just 24 hours after ARL Commission chairman John Grant confirmed the Eels would not be docked four competition points after they met a list of corporate governance requests, the western Sydney club was faced with the news Watmough?s chronic knee *injury could force him to pull the pin immediately.
Watmough signed a whopping four-year deal last season but played just 17 games ? mostly with painkilling injections ? and struggled to train over summer. It?s understood he knocked his knee again at training several weeks ago.
The NSW and Kangaroos enforcer told Channel 9 he ?had *unfinished business?? and was ?planning to return in a couple of weeks??.
But should his knee not respond to treatment and he?s forced to retire, Watmough will still receive a full payout, including the remainder of the $700,000 he was on this season, and about $750,000 for 2017 and 2018.
Any payout would have to be agreed to by the club, the NRL and any insurers involved.
An NRL spokesman confirmed the rule that allowed clubs to make cap-free payments to players whose careers had been cut short was introduced after the Alex McKinnon tragedy.
Significantly, the money won?t count towards the cap.
a754e2732c7ef427a3643c5cd887c15b
Anthony Watmough?s chronic knee *injury could force him to pull the pin immediately.

Parramatta have been under the NRL spotlight for their spending. Last year they were slapped with a $525,000 fine, which was later *reduced to $465,000, for breaches relating to the 2014 season.
What that means for the Eels is if Watmough does retire, the club suddenly has plenty of money to spend.
Locking up boom prop Junior Paulo would be their priority.
More importantly, there would be a decent war chest for favourite son Jarryd Hayne if his NFL dream begins to splutter.
Coach Brad Arthur said as far as he was aware, Watmough would hopefully be back ?around round two or three??.

?He is a week-to-week proposition,?? Arthur said.
Watmough said before Christmas that he had contemplated quitting rugby league because of the pain caused by his knee. The 303-game veteran is widely regarded as one of the toughest when it comes to playing with injury.
?I thought the cue was in the rack for me,?? he said at the time.
?I was a bit sceptical at the time. I went home to my wife and told her, ?I think I?m done ? I can?t run?.
?I thought if that was to be the end, well I guess that?s life, I?ve had a good run.??
f970615249189cd816e3edfcbf4a70d9

Locking up boom prop Junior Paulo would be Parramatta?s priority.
For everything Watmough has achieved in the game, including his 14 Origins for the Blues and 16 caps for the Kangaroos, some Eels fans will be wondering if he would automatically slot back into Arthur?s side if fit.
The arrival of Origin enforcer Beau Scott has taken away one starting back-row spot, while a fit Tepai Moeroa has done his best to make the other spot his own.
Having to spend time in the NSW Cup could even be an option given Watmough last ran the ball in anger way back in round 19 last July.
While Parramatta would not be drawn on Watmough, they did announce the re-signings of young forwards Daniel Alvaro and Kaysa Pritchard until the end of 2018, and 19-year-old Alex Twal until the end of next year.
On a lighter note, former club pin-up Nathan Hindmarsh, 36, caused a stir when he spoke on Triple M about a potential comeback, four years after he retired in 2012.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/anthony-watmough-set-for...

Ok, first of all I always thought that 4 a year contract was too long to sign Watmough to. Saying that I hope he can get over his injury and play one final year, this year. I believe his influence on the the younger players is invaluable. Hope he takes up a coaching position with us if he does end up retiring with us.

Great News on that any potential payout is not included in the cap.

Basil Brush

Juniors
I think we'll see Watmough return and play this season (even if it takes injections to do so) - but whether it's just for one game, or four, or every second week for a while. He's a tough bugger, and even playing small stints from the bench seems in his character, injury permitting.

But our forward depth is such that he is not really needed this season. I would only have himn the bench at best, when you've got Edwards, Scott, Ma'au, Moeroa, Gower Tanginoa, not to mention De Gois, and Nelson capable of holding back rower spots.

Onviously 2017 and 2018 would now be long shots for Watmough indeed... but best of luck to the guy, and he's a recent new dad presumably with an additional focus now in his life. I reckon we'll see him on field for a bit this season, but his management will negotiate that payout for the final two years.

Let's use the spare cash to keep Junior Paulo here, and not save it up for the possible return of the prodigal son...

A good post except that you mentioned Cody Nelson.

He is extremely unlikely to play first grade for us.

^b0ss^

Juniors
Well after reading that i def take back my earlier post that he will play out his contract.Last season i would say.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mental toughness or not.
It is a worrying sign that everyone at Manly said his body was stuffed and happy to let him walk and 90% of supporters said the same thing based on his performances over the last few seasons.
I dont think watmough was that bad last year but he was not great.Not any better then Gower or perhaps only very slightly.
Its a worry our medical staff could not pick up on his body and knee which has been bugging him for years.
Laugh all you want but Manly and Choc where more than likely aware that his body would not hold up. Both he and club did what was best for both and let him get a nice FAT contract at PARRA. Regardless of if he can play all he has to do is turn up and if he isn't good enough he plays Ron Massey cup and collects a pay cheque.
NOT COUNTING HIS WAGE AGAINST THE CAP IS OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS!!!

Clubs can sign a guy knowing he has 2 years left MAX to a 4 year contract then pay him out after 2yrs and a career ending injury. its a shame but it is a loophole and if we get away with it the NRL should step in and change the rules.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mental toughness or not.
It is a worrying sign that everyone at Manly said his body was stuffed and happy to let him walk and 90% of supporters said the same thing based on his performances over the last few seasons.
I dont think watmough was that bad last year but he was not great.Not any better then Gower or perhaps only very slightly.
Its a worry our medical staff could not pick up on his body and knee which has been bugging him for years.
Laugh all you want but Manly and Choc where more than likely aware that his body would not hold up. Both he and club did what was best for both and let him get a nice FAT contract at PARRA. Regardless of if he can play all he has to do is turn up and if he isn't good enough he plays Ron Massey cup and collects a pay cheque.
NOT COUNTING HIS WAGE AGAINST THE CAP IS OPENING UP A CAN OF WORMS!!!

Clubs can sign a guy knowing he has 2 years left MAX to a 4 year contract then pay him out after 2yrs and a career ending injury. its a shame but it is a loophole and if we get away with it the NRL should step in and change the rules.
Bronco's did the same thing with Hodges.

hindy111

Post Whore
And if Watmough gets a 2 million pay out? What the hell where we paying him.700k a year?
So he cost the club 2.7 million for one season. I hope he installed a lot of mental toughness-Sounds like we have been stooged! Under the cap or not, when your club is running at a loss this is perhaps worse signing in history of the club.

I reckon most on here use the mental toughness thing to feel good about the situation. I am sure this is why we signed him, its obvious the club had no concerns that this would happen as they knew he would help us get every other player and make our pack mentally tough.But Pauli was let go cause he wasn't mentally tough enough-So watmoughs mental toughness only rubs off on certain players.

I will tell you something-Mental toughness is something you are born with. Tepai -Alvaro-Twal-Kaysa have got it. I can see it in the way they play.It has nothing to do with chock FU%N watmough and his new haircut.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hindy is just upset his favourite crock Moylan is injured again.

Moylan is not 32 and hasn't signed a 3 million dollar 4 yrs deal :lol:

Only one laughing is Choc-All the way too the bank. And manly.Maybe they are both having a beer and a chuckle.

strider

Post Whore
And if Watmough gets a 2 million pay out? What the hell where we paying him.700k a year?
So he cost the club 2.7 million for one season. I hope he installed a lot of mental toughness-Sounds like we have been stooged! Under the cap or not, when your club is running at a loss this is perhaps worse signing in history of the club.

I reckon most on here use the mental toughness thing to feel good about the situation. I am sure this is why we signed him, its obvious the club had no concerns that this would happen as they knew he would help us get every other player and make our pack mentally tough.But Pauli was let go cause he wasn't mentally tough enough-So watmoughs mental toughness only rubs off on certain players.

I will tell you something-Mental toughness is something you are born with. Tepai -Alvaro-Twal-Kaysa have got it. I can see it in the way they play.It has nothing to do with chock FU%N watmough and his new haircut.

I think you are partly correct ... people are born with toughness - if you dont have it you probably never will .... BA is probably working at keeping those that do .... but i think even if you have it, it can help bring it out more/better if you have others around you who encourage it and thats what choc does

Eelementary

Post Whore

I think you're partially correct, but consider this:

Fui was very lazy and had a poor attitude early in his career (no doubt, partly due to his poorer fitness).

Through a combination of playing alongside Cayless and Hindmarsh, and Brian Smith's coaching, he worked in his fitness, but he also changed his attitude - you saw in his latter years how, even though he was physically exhausted, he'd still chase the play.

I think some blokes are naturally competitors, and some need a kick up the bum from time to time.

Latest posts