What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone follow the ESL closely?

dazeely

First Grade
V1er said:
Wasnt that the reason we let solomona go in the first place, him and widders were similar type players as far as impact goes, and they deiceded to go with widders?

spot on. no need for two players of the same mould IMO.

damo72

Juniors
Solomona has a clause in his contract with Wakefield that he can leave if they are relegated, I doubt he would return to the NRL. As I stated in another thread, Wakefield 5/8 Ben Jefferies wants to return to the NRL and from the matches I have seen them play this season he looks very handy, and alot better (not difficult) than what he did when he came through at the Tigers.

bartman

Immortal
lucablight said:
I ask this EVERY time but I never get a response. IS SOLO OFF CONTRACT?!
Technically no, but as stated one team each year gets relegated, and the players would all have get out clauses to stop them being forced to play in a lower division. But, I should add that contracts don't matter as much in England anyway for some reason?

For example, a recognised international like Stuart Fielden changed clubs halfway through this season to go to Wigan. As did his coach a month earlier. Last year one guy (Wayne McDonald) I think ended up playing for three clubs!

Stronger clubs put their players out on loan to smaller clubs here all the time, if their surplus to their current needs then they figure it gives them quality game time and they might come back better for it than just going to training and not getting a senior game. Of course a bit of money to cover the loan could also be the primary factor.

But with the exchange rate we could only really attract someone playing in England if they had some other reason to come out (eg personal desire). It would need to be an Aussie/Kiwi wanting to come back home, or a player (like Morley, Thorman) wanting to test themselves and learn in the NRL.

So why not look overseas? I agree that Thorman could have worked out a lot better for us if he had been used better (consistently), and being realistic he didn't give us any less than Adam Dykes anyway? Jamie Peacock would be good if it's true, less so Ben Jeffries, but maybe as a one year mentoring option in the halves, he'd do that job as well as Scott Hill, Brett Firman or anyone else in Australia that has been touted.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Plenty of good players in the ESL that would look great in Eels colours, we'd be better off signing young guys though because it usually takes English players a year or two to truly settle in.

James Graham, Chris Ashton, Eamon O'Carroll, Darrell Goulding, Tommy Lee, Scott Moore, Andy Coley, Brett Ferres and Jamal Fakir are all quality and are still young (Coley and Fakir are not as young as the rest though). James Graham is definitely the pick of the lot, he's such a talent.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MarkInTheStands said:
What is the Status of J Cayles in the ESL.

Currently at St Helens and no way would be released from his contract when you consider that the club has just missed out on Asotasi.

James_Hardie

Juniors
When you think that players leave Australia to get more $$ in the UK, it is fair to say that you will pay more for a player of equal ability if they come from the uk, than a local. (i.e Brett Ferres of Bradford, is probably on a similar level as Nate Myles, but Myles would probably come cheaper). So to me IF we are looking at the ESl it is more likely an Aussie wanting to return for quality of life as opposed to coin. (maybe a Mark McLinden or something).

Having said that, with our club too slow in recruiting from the NRL, it seems we have no choice but to pay overs for a player from the ESL. Ferres would be my choice. He is an outstanding backrow prospect and would more than fill the hole left by Morrison.

stuke

Bench
from my limited time of watching the ESL I would think we would need to give any forward that has been over there a decent length of time to settle into the NRL. Morley took about a season to come good, Carroll took similiar to readjust at the Broncos.

lucablight said:
I ask this EVERY time but I never get a response. IS SOLO OFF CONTRACT?!

wakefield are in trouble to stay up, so if they drop then he may become off contract, but u would have to wait awhile.

Stagger eel

Staff member
douglasallen91 said:
wakefield are in trouble to stay up, so if they drop then he may become off contract, but u would have to wait awhile.

don't worry, it appears that we won't be using the money up in a hurry and we've got a bit to spend.

The Colonel

Immortal
stuke said:
from my limited time of watching the ESL I would think we would need to give any forward that has been over there a decent length of time to settle into the NRL. Morley took about a season to come good, Carroll took similiar to readjust at the Broncos.

You'll find most forwards coming out of Premier League need the same time to adjust as well.

Prodigal-Eel

Juniors
Will not be Solomona:

David Solomona
Written by Administrator
Wednesday, 15 February 2006
David Solomona
David Solomona

The Tri-Nations Champion is right at the heart of the Wildcats side, superbly creative and dangerous in attack and equally devastating in denfence, Solomona is one of the few players who could be described as having a complete game. The Kiwi international committed himself to the Wildcats for a further 3 years last summer and is looking to achieve real success at the club.

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 101kg
Position: 2nd Row
Squad Number: 11
Date Of Birth: 26/1/78

bartman

Immortal
And money talks and contracts seem not to be that binding in England anyway eg Peachey being released, various players swapping clubs mid-season, players being loaned from one club to another mid-season.

Anyone's a possibility, but as had been said, it's more likely to be someone with a person reason to come (back) here, or someone feels they needs a new challenge compared to what they'd get there.

lucablight

First Grade
eelavation said:
don't worry, it appears that we won't be using the money up in a hurry and we've got a bit to spend.

You mean we're going to sit back and wait until everybody worth signing is snatched up and then going to start our spending spree? :roll:

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
You mean we're going to sit back and wait until everybody worth signing is snatched up and then going to start our spending spree? :roll:

well everyone is telling me that there's no one left so why not????