What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_duck

Coach
Jones is like Anderson Silva/Randy Couture hybrid with a 84inch reach. He's got Silva's unpredictability and a very strong Greco-Roman background like Randy Couture. Physically he's an absolute specimen

shiznit

Coach
Did anyone else think it was pretty trippy watching Goldie do a promo for Strikeforce: Diaz VS Dailey?

Ram Man

Juniors
Was more impressed with his patience in such a big fight.
He had Shogun rocked on a number of occasions but didnt punch himself tired. He took a deep breath, reassesed then went in for the kill.

Such a old head on young shoulders. He will hold that belt for as long as he wants to.
Rashad will not touch him...

shiznit

Coach
I think hes gonna hold the HW title at one stage too...

the morning after and i still cant get over it...

the dude just GORILLA f**kED shogun!!

not some hopeless scrub like a Leben or a Rivera.

Ive never EVER seen shogun treated like that.

Even the Forrest Fight... the Dude just gassed out... this was just an ass whooping from start to finish.

aqua_duck

Coach
By end end of the fight, Shogun looked battered, I've never seen Shogun look like that before, I mean I've seen times when he's looked exhausted but he looked beat up, jones on the other hand didn't even have a scratch on him. Come to think of it I can't remember Shogun landing any cleans shots on Jones. Rogan summed it up during the fight, firstly Jones looks almost a weight class bigger than Shogun, and secondly with Jones reach, everything Shogun throws is almost telegraphed because he has to come in and throw, where as Jones was just picking him off from a distance

Special K

Coach
3.gif

Jones even did Rock Bottom! haha

I am really looking forward to the awkward Jones/Evans interviews

Snoochies

First Grade
I read (don't quote me) that Jones scored 80 odd strikes compared to Shoguns 12 or 13. Rough ballpark figures there.

shiznit

Coach
wow. this guy is the f**king man. forget GSP vs Anderson, i want Jones/Anderson!!
are you serious?? Anderson will want NOTHING of Jon Jones...

Jon Jones would violate him like a white collar crook in a maximum security prison.

His wrestling combined with his striking and his reach... the only competition he's gonna get is at HW.

aqua_duck

Coach
The only thing Jones lacks is that one punch knock out power, but once he develops that (it's already starting to come along) he'll be even scarier. I've watch Shogun since his Pride days, and never have I seen someone dominate him like that

shiznit

Coach
Cant get up for this fight. Shields was sooooo bad in his last fight.
i wouldn't look too far into the Kampman fight... it was his first fight in the octagon... which is always tough... it was a pretty serious cut for him considering he hadn't fought at WW since he beat Paul Daley in 2008.

i reckon Shields is being disrespected royally by everyone.

he is no joke... IMO whoever wins this fight should fight Anderson.

Shields was the Strikeforce Middleweight Champion and if he were to beat GSP he would be the most decorated champion i think ever in MMA... maybe Overeem could match him...

he last lost in 2004... his list of Victims include...

Yushin Okami
Carlos Condit
Mike Pyle
Paul Daley
Robbie Lawler
Mayhem Miller
Dan Henderson
Martin Kampman

Not to mention his grappling background... theres video's on youtube of him destroying John Fitch in a grappling competition.

and if you add GSP to that list... that's a f**king monster of a list.

to be honest though... i think he would get destroyed by Anderson... His big weakness is his striking.

Anderson's striking is on a whole different level to everyone else on planet earth... let alone Shields who gets lit up by everyone.

but what makes him so dangerous is the fact hes a very high level grappler who is also a Div II national wrestling champion... which is VERY rare.

normally the way to neutralize someone with strong BJJ is to use wrestling to keep the fight in safe places... but Shield's wrestling takes that away...

hes f**king dangerous as hell for GSP...

id love to also see him fight Demian Maia... that would be a wicked ground fight.

Special K

Coach
I really do not think Anderson/GSP will ever happen. GSP would be would be giving up a huge size difference.

gsp_silva_large.jpg

GSP as awesome as he is would be stupid to take the fight. Here is a good article on that potential fight(and where I got that photo from) - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/1...re-versus-anderson-silva-is-bad-for-the-sport

It would be fantastic to see them fight and see all the hype but it is a pretty bad hard situation for GSP if he does go up and plays in andersons yard.

Also Shields is awesome. I cannot wait for the fight but I really am looking forward to UFC 130 as that card looks pretty damn good and we will get to see Maynard get his belt.

Last edited:

Ram Man

Juniors
Demian Maia would destroy Shields on the ground.

Shields is slick on the ground but Maia is lethal. His transitions and how quickly he sinks chokes in is almost super human. And he has also won some very prestigeous BJJ competitions. he won the ADCC 2007 Under 88kg Gold by beating Flavio Almeida, who is an extremely high level BJJ practitioner, I am talking freakish, I have rolled with Flavio and the dude is nasty.

On the Anderson/GSP fight....will never happen.

The difference in weight is far too big. Doesnt matter how much weight GSP puts on, Anderson is too big. I might be wrong and GSP might not have a choice in the matter (Joe Silva may make them fight) but if he has a say in it, he will give it a miss.

Anderson and Jon Jones fight is probably more of a reality. Andseron has fought at LHW before and has won convincingly and Jones would definately test him.

Status
Not open for further replies.