What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiznit

Coach
word doing the rounds at the moment is the UFC will sign a big deal with FOX.

and that the UFC are on the verge of confirming the main event for UFC 140 Card in Toronto... Brock Lesnar V Alistair Overeem!!

aqua_duck

Coach
word doing the rounds at the moment is the UFC will sign a big deal with FOX.

and that the UFC are on the verge of confirming the main event for UFC 140 Card in Toronto... Brock Lesnar V Alistair Overeem!!

Two big men, I doubt Brock will want to keep it standing very long

shiznit

Coach
UFC, Fox agree to seven-year deal

LOS ANGELES -- The UFC has made it to network prime-time.

Mixed martial arts' dominant promotional company announced a landmark seven-year deal with Fox on Thursday, putting four UFC shows on the main network each year and an extensive array of programming on its cable networks. The UFC will become a prominent feature on FX, with live fights on most Friday nights and a revamped version of "The Ultimate Fighter," the UFC's popular reality show.

UFC President Dana White said the deal is the biggest step yet in MMA's transformation from a banned fringe sport into a mainstream entertainment property. The UFC already is wildly popular among young men, but Fox will put the sport in front of an enormous new audience with its first regular slot on a broadcast network.

"This is what I always wanted, what I always thought was the pinnacle for us," White said. "This partnership is going to take this sport to the next level. Those people that thought I was a lunatic, saying this was going to be the biggest sport in the world, this is the next step."

Fox will allow the UFC to control its own production, a longtime stumbling block in White's negotiations with network TV over the past several years. Although the UFC is still in charge of the product, White said he wants "to make a fresh start" in every aspect of UFC's programming, working with Fox to improve even its pay-per-view broadcasts.

Fox Sports Chairman David Hill said the network won't have trouble selling network advertising for a violent, high-testosterone sport that's still viewed with an arched eyebrow by much of the public and media.

"TV is all about the next big thing, and that's what we're here for," Hill said. "We would not have gone into this deal if we had not canvassed a large pool of advertisers ... and found they were behind it."

Hill also had no problem leaving the UFC in charge of its own broadcasts.

"I think their production is first-class, and I doubt there's anything we could bring," he said.

The UFC's first prime-time fights on Fox will air Nov. 12. White is still working out details of the show, which likely will be held at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Networks have flirted with MMA for most of the past decade, and CBS has aired cards by the EliteXC and Strikeforce promotions in recent years to mixed success. Strikeforce fights still air on Showtime, CBS' premium cable network, but the UFC bought the Strikeforce promotion earlier this year, absorbing its only significant competitor.

CBS never had access to the UFC's peerless roster of fighters, instead building its prime-time shows around glorified bouncer Kimbo Slice and now-faded stars Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson. White wouldn't say which UFC stars will appear on prime-time shows, but UFC champions Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre and Jon "Bones" Jones all could get the widest television audiences and biggest paychecks of their careers starting next year.

White declined to reveal the deal's total value, saying, "nobody gets rich doing a TV deal except the NFL. But if we do things the right way, it should be huge for us, for the fighters, for Fox, for everybody."

"The Ultimate Fighter" will move from Spike to FX next spring for its 15th edition, and the show will evolve from a taped reality show into a live sports program with reality-TV elements, according to FX Executive Vice President Chuck Saftler. The show's competitive fights will air live on Friday nights, and its episodes will be filmed and released within a week -- much faster than in its previous incarnation, which starts its 14th cycle on Spike this fall.

Most of the UFC programming currently airing on Versus also will move to FX, as will the behind-the-scenes reality shows leading up to major fights. Fuel, a lower-profile Fox cable channel, also will broadcast UFC programming.

Although the four Fox shows are the centerpiece of the deal, the bulk of the UFC's programming will be on FX in its nearly 100 million homes. FX President John Landgraf and Saftler have built a powerful lineup of critically acclaimed and highly rated dramas and comedies over the past decade, but the network has spent years looking for sports programming to complement its scripted lineup, dabbling with NASCAR and college football in recent years.

"The UFC has a certain sensibility and tonality that falls right in line with that brand that we've built," Saftler said. " We're also able to keep our programming message simple now: You can see UFC fighting live on a Friday night on FX."

Saftler actually sees a natural fit for the UFC among viewers of FX's cerebral dramas, like "Justified" and "Sons of Anarchy," and raucous comedies like "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and "Archer."

"There's a great intelligence to the fighters, how they have to adapt and adjust and train," Saftler said. "This isn't just dumbed-down punching. This is really a sport with well-conditioned athletes who have to put great study into their opponents. This is both brain and brawn working in the octagon."

And while weekend programming has long been a problem for FX and most major cable networks, Saftler said, "sports are the one thing that always seems to break through."

Saftler believes recent flat ratings of UFC programming on Spike, a division of MTV Networks, reflect more on the UFC's former network than its product.

"Spike has really let themselves become one-dimensional," Saftler said. "The only thing they've had is UFC. They've in essence known they were letting UFC go for quite a while. I guess that becomes less of a priority as they try to figure out what their next priority will be. They'll find a way to make that network relevant in a different way now, but we see this as just a great complement to an already robust lineup of programming."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

from: http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/6874530/ufc-reaches-seven-year-broadcast-deal-fox-networks

Huuuuuuge news for MMA!!

its bringing the sport to the main stream...

interesting to hear about the changes to TUF...

TUF will no longer be 6 weeks pre-taped with a live finale.

its now gonna be taped and edited each week with the fight live each week.

which also means the coaches will be bringing in there training camps for there fights so the PPV can go straight after the live finale.

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
God i hated seeing forrest be made to look so weak, he looked so uncomfortable in that fight.

Anderson Silva is a freak, i'd like to see him fight Jones as well, but the winner of Sonnen vs Stann gets next shot at him, so hopefully we get to see Silva v Sonnen 2... that would be worth while for the press conferences alone.

dogslife

Coach
Awesome ppv imo. Big fan of Minotauro Nogueira so it was good to see him get a win. Disappointing to see Griffin go down like that, he definately looked uncomfortable, and he is definately a better fighter than what he showed. Silva just toyed with Okami, I'd say his corner put a rocket up him because I would think he lost the first round. Only saw the main card and a few of the prelims but the Pearson vs Barboza fight was a deserving winner of fight of the night. Looking forward to Jones vs Rampage, don't think I've ever cheered for Rampage before but I hope he puts a beating on Jones

Special K

Coach
Sonnen kicked Andersons ass in that fight. Anderson will always have the win but people will always remember what a beating he took.. If he can kick Sonnens ass in a rematch then it will be dead but until then it will always be a "he got beat up but got lucky and got the win".

It was probably my fav ever UFC fight so I would love to see a rematch. Plus Sonnen is awesome on the mic going after Anderson

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its one of my favourite fights ever as well. I went crazy when Anderson stole the submission it was great :D

mozza91

Coach
f**k sonnen, he is a cheat and a boring lay n pray fighter. thats a shit fight. Besides Anderson already submitted him.
He isn't a cheat he needed the drugs to elevate his testosterone not to gain an advantage and he isn't boring either he always pushs the action, Anderson's fights against Leites, Cote and Maia were all more boring then any of Chael's fights that I've seen.

dogslife

Coach
I would sooner pay to see Silva vs Hendo II. f**k people give GSP shit for not finishing fights, at least he has some to his name. I implore someone to tell me the last time Chael Sonnen finished anyone in his UFC career (hint: you'll be looking for a long time)

Jack_Napier

Staff member
chaels a gimp, he beat the shit outta silva for 90% of the fight but didnt have the ability to stop the pound for pound bets fighter on the planet when it was all wrapped up. you guys saying silva got lucky clearly arent fans of anderson. Getting drilled on your back for over 20 minutes and then have the class to throw on a triangle on a fighter used to laying in open guards(so therefore being quite adept at surviving submission attempts, specially training at team quest) takes absolutely bucket loads of heart from the fighter.

Sonnen even defended the silva triangle like you should but wasnt good enough. If he gets him again anderson will murder him, how much can sonnens games change cause i bet anderson will be primed and ready for the takedown attempts.

i thought UFC Rio was a tad boring, typical silva fight(apart from the sonnen fight ha ha) where his oppositon are spell bound when he gets the timing down, forrest is a powder puff and the win over rua in the first showed Shogun was anywhere near top form. Didn't mind monotauro fight, dudes a warrior.

Bring on the next couple of events, jones will make rampage look one dominsional like he really is and i'm praying diego destroys that jock matt hughes.

Special K

Coach
I did not mean to take anything away from Anderson by saying "lucky". He did an awesome job to be able to pull that out after taking that beating he took. If in a rematch against Sonnen he wipes the floor with Sonnen then that can be put to rest. People talked up how he had "lost to Okami" but imo that Sonnen fight is a bigger mark on his legacy compared to a DQ. If Anderson beats Sonnen again, he shuts Sonnen and his critics up.

“Well, people’s problem from what I see is they can’t stop taking pain pills once they start. And you’re not too good all pilled out, you know? I mean I can’t say because I don’t take the shit, but I see them. I have a lot of friends who do a lot of drugs. There’s a lot of people everywhere that do a lot of drugs. Everybody, everybody, is on drugs dude. If they’re not, they’re an alcoholic or something. I don’t know if you noticed that or whatever, look around. The thing is, it would be a lot healthier for people to think, you know, it could be, shit, this sort of thing could be the healthiest thing someone does out of their day. Let’s take for example a person whose laying in bed, a cancer patient, a fat person, if you will. Someone who doesn’t do shit all day. That muscle contraction, that core strength that kind of happens, that pulls together when you’re maybe smoking weed or whatever, you know, you’re coughing or whatever, and that blood flow that happens at that point in time, you know what I mean? It’s sort of good for you. You know what I mean? I’m not a doctor or a f**king scientist, but I’ve smoked plenty of weed. And, you know, I think in my opinion it’s pretty damn good for you. It could be the healthiest things someone does out of their day if they’re just going to lay there. You know, the most blood flow and exercise that they get out of the day. They’re going to cough weed, you know, and as far as lungs go or whatever, I’ve never had a problem with them. There’s no chemicals involved. I don’t know if you know this, but cigarettes, you know, when people smoke cigarettes it closes your airwaves, but when you’re smoking marijuana it expands your lungs, you know, you’re breathing pretty good. You have more airflow as far as I’m concerned. And, that’s paper that people are smoking. They’re not smoking tobacco. Those little shreds are paper that are soaked in tobacco flavored juice on a conveyor belt and then they wrap it up in a cigarette. But it’s all paper soaked in tobacco flavored juice. Everybody thinks they’re smoking tobacco or something, it’s disgusting. It’s all chemicals. Why do we have a hundred different things in a cigarette that they added to it when tobacco grows right out of the ground? I wonder if people would die from cancer if they were just smoking straight tobacco. I really do.”

I found this Nick Diaz quote just before... Smart guy!

shiznit

Coach
chaels a gimp, he beat the shit outta silva for 90% of the fight but didnt have the ability to stop the pound for pound bets fighter on the planet when it was all wrapped up. you guys saying silva got lucky clearly arent fans of anderson. Getting drilled on your back for over 20 minutes and then have the class to throw on a triangle on a fighter used to laying in open guards(so therefore being quite adept at surviving submission attempts, specially training at team quest) takes absolutely bucket loads of heart from the fighter.

Sonnen even defended the silva triangle like you should but wasnt good enough. If he gets him again anderson will murder him, how much can sonnens games change cause i bet anderson will be primed and ready for the takedown attempts.

i thought UFC Rio was a tad boring, typical silva fight(apart from the sonnen fight ha ha) where his oppositon are spell bound when he gets the timing down, forrest is a powder puff and the win over rua in the first showed Shogun was anywhere near top form. Didn't mind monotauro fight, dudes a warrior.

Bring on the next couple of events, jones will make rampage look one dominsional like he really is and i'm praying diego destroys that jock matt hughes.
meh... not really...

Anderson Silva showed a massive hole in his game... his wrestling.

He was extremely lucky to get the win.... the same way that Check Kongo was lucky to get the win against Pat Barry a couple of months ago.

but hey... thats MMA.

Anderson Silva's big weakness be that he has problems against any top wrestler with a top quality top game. go back and watch the first round of Dan Henderson vs Anderson Silva... the same happened there.

Thats the reason why a lot of experts reckon GSP would beat Silva.... his wrestling is just too strong.

by no means is it easy though.... you have to somehow avoid getting knocked out at the start of each round.

Anderson Silva has a BJJ Blackbelt... but its under Big Nog... which as Sonnen quite rightly pointed out... is like a mcdonalds toy. its worthless.

the proof if which was his fight against Demian Maia... the guy was petrified about going to the ground.

aqua_duck

Coach
meh... not really...

Anderson Silva showed a massive hole in his game... his wrestling.

He was extremely lucky to get the win.... the same way that Check Kongo was lucky to get the win against Pat Barry a couple of months ago.

but hey... thats MMA.

Anderson Silva's big weakness be that he has problems against any top wrestler with a top quality top game. go back and watch the first round of Dan Henderson vs Anderson Silva... the same happened there.

Thats the reason why a lot of experts reckon GSP would beat Silva.... his wrestling is just too strong.

by no means is it easy though.... you have to somehow avoid getting knocked out at the start of each round.

Anderson Silva has a BJJ Blackbelt... but its under Big Nog... which as Sonnen quite rightly pointed out... is
like a mcdonalds toy. its worthless.

the proof if which was his fight against Demian Maia... the guy was petrified about going to the ground.
There's a big difference between a BJJ blackbelt and an ADCC champ. Maia is a world class submission grappler, 4th degree BJJ blackbelt, 2007 ADCC winner for 88kg weight class, even has a victory over Napau Gonzaga, a legitimate black belt who outweighs him by 65 pounds or so.
I consider an ADCC champ the equivalent of an Olympic gold medalist, avoiding going to ground with a guy skilled is just common sense, whether you're a blackbelt, white belt or no belt

Status
Not open for further replies.