What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiznit

Coach
There's a big difference between a BJJ blackbelt and an ADCC champ. Maia is a world class submission grappler, 4th degree BJJ blackbelt, 2007 ADCC winner for 88kg weight class, even has a victory over Napau Gonzaga, a legitimate black belt who outweighs him by 65 pounds or so.
I consider an ADCC champ the equivalent of an Olympic gold medalist, avoiding going to ground with a guy skilled is just common sense, whether you're a blackbelt, white belt or no belt
i agree with you... i didnt expect Silva to take Maia down... but you do expect a genuine black belt to handle themselves enough on a MMA mat to last 5mins.

a Genuine Black Belt would have spent thousands upon thousands of hours rolling with top quality dudes to get that belt.

Silva was deadset petrified of going anywhere near the ground against Maia... i didnt expect him to pull guard... but come on... the guy was taunting Maia in the stand up which is his game... but was shit scared to go to the ground.

that doesn't sound like a confident BJJ blackbelt.

Ive seen the likes of Dan Miller and Kendall Grove handle themselves on the ground with Maia... sure they got dominated... but they weren't scared of rolling with him if the fight managed to get to the ground.

that says alot about Anderson Silva's black belt IMO...

Jack_Napier

Staff member
i agree with you... i didnt expect Silva to take Maia down... but you do expect a genuine black belt to handle themselves enough on a MMA mat to last 5mins.

a Genuine Black Belt would have spent thousands upon thousands of hours rolling with top quality dudes to get that belt.

Silva was deadset petrified of going anywhere near the ground against Maia... i didnt expect him to pull guard... but come on... the guy was taunting Maia in the stand up which is his game... but was shit scared to go to the ground.

that doesn't sound like a confident BJJ blackbelt.

Ive seen the likes of Dan Miller and Kendall Grove handle themselves on the ground with Maia... sure they got dominated... but they weren't scared of rolling with him if the fight managed to get to the ground.

that says alot about Anderson Silva's black belt IMO...

Seems to be the big fascination in the MMA world at the moment. The sook chael got some more airtime during the okami/silva fight and the it all picks up again. And the doubt aimed at Big Nog's belt aswell. They learnt there shit under Master Ricardo De La Riva, a Carlson Gracie desciple but apparently that means nothing.

Again with this crap about anderson not engaging fighters in the strength and specialty. It's no different to GSP laying in open guard G'n'P for 5 rounds when he could quite easily pass guards and apply any number of submissions, or even let his striking really go.

It's much smarter for anderson to stay on his feet when fighting ppl like maia and leites much like i've seen those fighters try to pull guard straight away or remain laying like leites did against silva.

all this talk makes a sonnen/silva rematch so much more mouth watering but doesn't it. So much dislike from sonnen

Guvner

First Grade
Silva was doing more damage off his back with less shots than Sonnen did on top. There is no doubt Sonnen was winning the fight because of the way the sport is scored currently. But there is no way Silva was getting his arse kicked. Post fight Sonnen had taken more damage.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
had to laugh at something sonnen said in the last countdown. said anderson has limited tools to beat you with and there not much to those tools.

he sub'd sonned, easily the better striker, would destroy him in the clinch. sonnen got lay and pray with some very very good wrestling. pot kettle black me thinks

shiznit

Coach
Seems to be the big fascination in the MMA world at the moment. The sook chael got some more airtime during the okami/silva fight and the it all picks up again. And the doubt aimed at Big Nog's belt aswell. They learnt there shit under Master Ricardo De La Riva, a Carlson Gracie desciple but apparently that means nothing.
who's questioning Big Nog's belt?? HIS blackbelt is legit.

the question marks have always been over the Blackbelts he gives... which is Anderson Silva's.

He got his Blackbelt under Big nog in 2-3 years... which is ridiculous when you consider that he never entered any grappling competitions of note.

BJ Penn is known as the prodigy because he got his blackbelt in a similar time frame... but his grappling credentials are legendary.

Anderson Silva's blackbelt is on about the same level as Randy Cotoure's blackbelt he got for choking out James Toney... :lol:

Again with this crap about anderson not engaging fighters in the strength and specialty. It's no different to GSP laying in open guard G'n'P for 5 rounds when he could quite easily pass guards and apply any number of submissions, or even let his striking really go.

It's much smarter for anderson to stay on his feet when fighting ppl like maia and leites much like i've seen those fighters try to pull guard straight away or remain laying like leites did against silva.

I agree with you about GSP... that motherf**ker will lay and pray to get a win...

But the difference between GSP and Anderson Silva is GSP doesn't taunt his opponent if they dont fight where he wants to.

I have no problem with Silva taking the fight to his strength... thats what a smart fighter does... but dont taunt a guy because he wont play to your strength when you shit scared of playing to his strength.

all this talk makes a sonnen/silva rematch so much more mouth watering but doesn't it. So much dislike from sonnen

Sonnen should win... unless he gets caught...

Jack_Napier

Staff member
who's questioning Big Nog's belt?? HIS blackbelt is legit.

the question marks have always been over the Blackbelts he gives... which is Anderson Silva's.

He got his Blackbelt under Big nog in 2-3 years... which is ridiculous when you consider that he never entered any grappling competitions of note.

BJ Penn is known as the prodigy because he got his blackbelt in a similar time frame... but his grappling credentials are legendary.

Anderson Silva's blackbelt is on about the same level as Randy Cotoure's blackbelt he got for choking out James Toney... :lol:

I agree with you about GSP... that motherf**ker will lay and pray to get a win...

But the difference between GSP and Anderson Silva is GSP doesn't taunt his opponent if they dont fight where he wants to.

I have no problem with Silva taking the fight to his strength... thats what a smart fighter does... but dont taunt a guy because he wont play to your strength when you shit scared of playing to his strength.

Sonnen should win... unless he gets caught...

ha ha yeah i forgot about that, almost like frank mir gettin his for breaking tim sylvia's forarm in their fight.

Just on the Big nog doubt, check sherdog, plenty of nog haters there.

sonnen showed his full, his stand up is garbage and anderson will be so much more prepared this time, there just no chance that chaels gettin the belt from anderson, he couldnt handle the 205er's and after he gets beaten again hopefully he'll shut the f**k up about it.

shiznit

Coach
Silva was doing more damage off his back with less shots than Sonnen did on top. There is no doubt Sonnen was winning the fight because of the way the sport is scored currently. But there is no way Silva was getting his arse kicked. Post fight Sonnen had taken more damage.
i disagree... Sonnen was rightly ahead on points because he was controlling Silva.

i do agree that the judging criteria is flawed because it allows someone to just lay and pray... Clay Guida vs Anthony Pettis i hated... because Pettis was extremely active from the bottom.

But Silva wasnt very active against Sonnen from the bottom as far as anything meaningful ie...sweeps and sub attempts.

and i just dont think Silva's elbows and punches from the bottom should be scored. while they cut Sonnen up... they hardly changed the fact that Silva was being controlled by Sonnen.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
ha ha yeah i forgot about that, almost like frank mir gettin his for breaking tim sylvia's forarm in their fight.

Just on the Big nog doubt, check sherdog, plenty of nog haters there.

sonnen showed his full, his stand up is garbage and anderson will be so much more prepared this time, there just no chance that chaels gettin the belt from anderson, he couldnt handle the 205er's and after he gets beaten again hopefully he'll shut the f**k up about it.

while i agree that Silva's strength is his awesome out of this world stand up... you may need to watch the first fight again... because Sonnen won the stand up EASILY.

which is what shocked everybody... but made the fight exciting.

Guvner

First Grade
i disagree... Sonnen was rightly ahead on points because he was controlling Silva.

i do agree that the judging criteria is flawed because it allows someone to just lay and pray... Clay Guida vs Anthony Pettis i hated... because Pettis was extremely active from the bottom.

But Silva wasnt very active against Sonnen from the bottom as far as anything meaningful ie...sweeps and sub attempts.

and i just dont think Silva's elbows and punches from the bottom should be scored. while they cut Sonnen up... they hardly changed the fact that Silva was being controlled by Sonnen.

I never claimed Sonnen shouldnt have been ahead on points. Nor did I claim Silva landing the more telling blows from his back should have had him in front. Claiming Silva's blows from his back shouldnt be scored is ridiculous. You can knock someone out off your back. Of course they should be scored. One of the hardest things in MMA to do is fight effectively off your back. But it was telling that despite Sonnen controlling position for 90% of the fight, Silva had done more damage in the fight.

A re match here is only interesting in as much as it will be interesting to see just how bad a motivated Silva can towel Sonnen up. People also forget Silva fought most of this fight with a cracked rib. IF sonnen gets past Stann, Silva will destroy him. He was fighting lazy at this stage. Being challenged here re motivated Silva. And the results have been very evident since.

shiznit

Coach
I never claimed Sonnen shouldnt have been ahead on points. Nor did I claim Silva landing the more telling blows from his back should have had him in front. Claiming Silva's blows from his back shouldnt be scored is ridiculous. You can knock someone out off your back. Of course they should be scored. One of the hardest things in MMA to do is fight effectively off your back. But it was telling that despite Sonnen controlling position for 90% of the fight, Silva had done more damage in the fight.

A re match here is only interesting in as much as it will be interesting to see just how bad a motivated Silva can towel Sonnen up. People also forget Silva fought most of this fight with a cracked rib. IF sonnen gets past Stann, Silva will destroy him. He was fighting lazy at this stage. Being challenged here re motivated Silva. And the results have been very evident since.

absolute bollocks... apart from up kicks which happen in the scramble... when have you ever seen someone hurt from strikes from the bottom??

strikes from the bottom are only effective when there used to set up sweeps and submission attempts.... so they shouldnt be scored unless they follow up with a sweep or sub attempt.

come on dude... this shit is basic...

Last edited:

Jack_Napier

Staff member
absolute bollocks... apart from up kicks which happen in the scramble... when have you ever seen someone hurt from strikes from the bottom??

strikes from the bottom are only effective when there used to set up sweeps and submission attempts.... so they shouldnt be scored unless they follow up with a sweep or sub attempt.

J-Rock vs War Machine ultimate fighter finale 6. Watch the elbows from the bottom JRock Throws and tell me that isnt worth more or just as much as sonnen or anyone else's lay and pray in open guard crap.

If fighter on top can just lay in open guard and land punches and be seen as more effective because he's controlling his opponent then why is that seen as more effective in your opinion than throwing elbows from the bottom, landing them but not following it up with a sweep or submission.

seems like you want ground game scored just for ppl on top and bottom guard wizards like aoki.

dogslife

Coach

I would also suggest watching Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida at TUF 9 finale, or Kenny Florian vs Joe Lauzon

MattJ

Juniors
Wow, more big news in the MMA world...

Nick Diaz has been taken oout of of the welterweight title fight against GSP for failing to turn up to 2 press conferences straight.

Diaz will be replaced by Carlos Condit.

Even though this is still a great fight to headline a ppv, it is a blow to the UFC as GSP vs Diaz was a pretty hyped show down, may effect some of the ppv takings. Dana has already said that any fans that purchased tickets to see diaz that want a refund will be given one.

B.J Penn was supposed to be meeting Condit as a co-main event to the headliner, does this open the door for Fitch V Penn 2?

What are your opinions on Condit vs GSP? Personally i think Condit is an excellent chance of getting the belt, im a big natural born killer fan and would love to see him crowned new ww champ.

dogslife

Coach
I'm a big fan of Condit, but I don't think he can beat GSP at his game. His best chance will obviously be to keep it standing, and hope to maybe catch GSP with something, anything. If it goes to the ground, game over. Nick Diaz would have been a much better match up, but a decent replacement nevertheless. Penn v Fitch II would be great.

Last edited:

MattJ

Juniors
Faaaark, we now know who Condits replacement is to fight Penn....
Its Nick Diaz!!!
Dana pulls the old switcheroo.
If anything, i like this card even more by swapping those 2 opponents, going to be event of the year in my opinion, check this out:
UFC 137: St-Pierre vs. Condit

Date: Oct 29, 2011

Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
Broadcast: Pay-per-view and Spike TV

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

• Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit (for UFC welterweight title)
  • Nick Diaz vs. B.J. Penn
  • Cheick Kongo vs. Matt Mitrione
  • Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Roy Nelson
  • Hatsu Hioki vs. George Roop
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

• Donald Cerrone vs. Dennis Siver
  • Tyson Griffin vs. Bart Palaszewski
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Tim Credeur vs. Brad Tavares
  • Jeff Curran vs. Scott Jorgensen
  • Eliot Marshall vs. Brandon Vera
  • Danny Downes vs. Ramsey Nijem

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Mitrione by ko I reckon. Cheick will wanna clinch and take him down for some G'n'P. Don't think he'll get close to be honest. Meat head is fun to watch.

Definitely gettin this card. C'mon Condit. Great style of fighter. Always lookin to finish the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.