What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_duck

Coach
Pfft, f**k MMA. Boxers would smash all these guys in a real fight. MMA fans are by far the most sensitive,

Boxing is a joke of a sport these days, there are currently 87 world champions in boxing, they give out world title belts like Maccas gives out Happy Meals. The WBA has 3 world champs in the junior middleweight division, they call Mundine a world champ even though there are 2 above him, it's a joke.

MattJ

Juniors
Pfft, f**k MMA. Boxers would smash all these guys in a real fight. MMA fans are by far the most sensitive,

Pretty lame trolling attempt.

A boxer might have some sort of chance in the stand up aspect, but the lack of kicks, takedown defence, wrestling and submission skills means they are fairly unlikely to secure too many wins on boxing skill alone.

I don't know why you would say f**k MMA... why cant you enjoy both? I like boxing but i prefer the unpredictability and the skill level of MMA, there is nothing wrong with either though.

The big edge MMA has at the moment over boxing is that the best guys continually meet, there is just too much ducking good opponents in boxing. Just curious Dean, do you think Mayweather will ever meet Pacman? Or at least sometime while they are in there prime, or will they both wait till there past it and in desperate need of a pay cheque?

Ram Man

Juniors
No one has done a powerbomb since Rampage in Pride...its the worst thing you can do when caught in a submission....I thought this movie was supposed to be very realistic!

MattJ

Juniors
No one has done a powerbomb since Rampage in Pride...its the worst thing you can do when caught in a submission....I thought this movie was supposed to be very realistic!

Pat barry did one on Stefan Struve about a month ago... but like you said, he was caught in a sub and still got triangled after it.

dogslife

Coach
Rampage got lucky I think, even though it was spectacular to watch. If you're caught in a triangle and you try a powerbomb, good night

Ram Man

Juniors
Rampage got real lucky, and Pat Barry's submission escape is pretty bad to say the least...

99% of the time, if you try and slam, it sinks the choke in deeper if your in a triangle...it can work for an armbar, but you need to be one powerful SOB to inflict any real damage on anyone, and have to be very lucky that the guy who has you in an armbar, doesnt really crank it on while you are trying to slam otherwise that arm is gonna snap!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Just on boxers in MMA. Can anyone imagine what someone like Jose Aldo would do to pretty boy Floyd's legs. Those matchsticks would snap with a few nicely placed leg kicks.

Ram Man

Juniors
Like Nick Diaz said. can Floyd stuff a takedown?

Maybe given time and a few years of solid training in MMA, Pacquaio and Mayweather would probably do very well out of MMA when they were in their prime, but really apart from the boxing aspect of MMA, they are polar opposites, as displayed when Randy Couture shot the ugliest single leg at James Toney, and took him down with ease, they are not the same.

shiznit

Coach
Like Nick Diaz said. can Floyd stuff a takedown?

Maybe given time and a few years of solid training in MMA, Pacquaio and Mayweather would probably do very well out of MMA when they were in their prime, but really apart from the boxing aspect of MMA, they are polar opposites, as displayed when Randy Couture shot the ugliest single leg at James Toney, and took him down with ease, they are not the same.
i was more interested in what Nick Diaz said after the fight...

'Train by day... Joe Rogan Podcast by night... ALL DAY!!!' :lol:

from someone who listens to all those podcast's it was hilarious...

Jono078

Referee
That first round would be exact opposite if anything lol, no way JDS stuffs every single Cain takedown attempt while JDS takes him down easily.

But good look at the next game, looks good :D

Who is everyone actually going for plus who they think will win?

I'm going for JDS but think Cain will win. Both excellent young fighters and this is only the first encounter these two will have out of many to come IMO.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Junior's boxing will see Cain want to take it down I think. His jab is just so damn effective as well as his angles. Cain can box a bit and put his combos together well so it could be fun for a bit on the feet. I think Cain will win with the use of his wrestling and top game control.

I'm hoping Junior lights Cain up in 3rd after some back and forth action in the first 2.
Actually think Cain will do and do comfortably once he gets his takedowns going.

Jono078

Referee
JDS is pretty amazing too though, I definitely have him as my #2 heavyweight if Cain is #1.

If this one is slug fest it literally is who ever gets first shot in wins.

I think JDS has some BJJ skills so might have some sort of plan on the ground if Cain takes him down.

The thing I see in JDS favor is Cain might have some ring rust, we shall see.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I think if it's a slugfest then juniors more technical boxing will be an advantage.
Gonna be an absolute cracker of a fight.

Ram Man

Juniors
I think Cain will get up tbh.

JDS has a techical boxing game and has knocked some guys out but Cain knocked out Big Nog with basically 1 shot and I think he has bigger power and if he is taken apart techincally boxing, he will just shoot and get JDS down.

JDS may have a BJJ game, but when you are talking about 2 guys who are over 100kgs, they dont really want to waste energy trying to lock up a sub attempt.
Its not like they are small guys and can lock up a choke quickly....big guys with b ig necks and big arms...very difficult to get a sub.

Cain by TKO in the 3rd round.

MattJ

Juniors
I'd have to say Cain should be favourite, his all round abilities should be too much for Juniors stand up alone, however i give JDS a good chance seeing as though the only fighter who has even remotely troubled Cain at all was Kongo due to some heavy hands. Juniors accuracy is better than Kongos and his hits are probably as strong, so he has a decent shot at the upset if he can rock him early.

Its one of those fights where you like both fighters, its great they meet for a championship fight, but i'll feel bad for whichever guy loses, im a big fan of both, not just as fighters, but as people too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts