What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc155776

Coach
I cant believe how f**king much weight Johnson cuts, ridiculous! The bloke is so massive compared to whoever he is fighting.

Lay N Pray might be boring, but anyone who has trained would know its still hard work and requires great control and skill.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Don't remember saying it didn't take skill.

I bet if Aldo gets dominant top control for a long period he'll finish, Mendes will just grapplefark him

shiznit

Coach
thats why you have to be Ninja off your back...

id love to see a motherf**ker lay and pray on Demian Maia....

IMO thats why dudes like Cerone, the Diaz boys & Condit are f**king killers on there feet...

because they dont mind being on there back....

Chip Bayless

Juniors
MMA is part of my training three times a week though I am not a competitive fighter. Probably past it and took it up too late to give it a good go. I do it as I love the fitness benefits and I train with some guys who like I love the sport. I've been around boxing and love it too, MMA though is the future and will continue to evolve.

If you are thinking about getting to your local MMA gym or simply want to try it, highly recommend. One afternoon and you will be hooked.

Ram Man

Juniors
I watched Countdown yesterday for UFC 142 and Johnson said he got up to over 230lbs! which means he would still have to cut 45lbs just to make weight for Middleweight let alone Welterweight....

I think Mendez may trouble Aldo...Aldo has nasty leg kicks but if he throws them, he gives up half his centre of gravity and Mendez will shot for a double...and he is quite effective in throwing punches and elbows from the guard...so Aldo will need to continuely go for subs off his back...intriging fight really...very interested in Belfort vs. Johnson... there is no way that is going to the ground...both guys love to stand and bang, and they both spoke of nothing than knocking each other out.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I reckon Aldo will stuff plenty of TD's. Maynard has been over there working with him and was having trouble putting him on his back. He handled faber so he should be able to get ontop of mendes. Aldo his stoppage in the 3rd or 4th.

Ram Man

Juniors
I reckon Aldo will stuff plenty of TD's. Maynard has been over there working with him and was having trouble putting him on his back. He handled faber so he should be able to get ontop of mendes. Aldo his stoppage in the 3rd or 4th.

I know Aldo has good TD defence, but if hes gonna leg kick Mendez, he runs the risk of getting taken down.
I tend to think Mendez is a different beast when it comes to wrestling than Faber. All the guys in their gym (Team Alpha Male) are handy wrestlers but its pretty well know that Mendez is a beast and is without doubt the best wrestler in the gym.

I still think Aldo will get up though.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I reckon Aldo will throw leg kicks but won't be careless bout it. He'll still be too classy for mendes. I'd be puttin Mendez on his back first.

Last edited:

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Looking forward to the two Main Events.

I like Carlos Mendes in an upset over Jose Aldo who I just love watching. Mendes is hungry and peerless as a wrestler in this division. Mendes will benefit from Faber's experience and his team will have a game plan that coupled with Mendes skills, will pull off an upset. It's just a gut feeling. Big Aldo fan, I just sense the occasion at his home of Rio may play apart in setting this up for Mendes.

I was split on Belfort vs. Johnson. I am a long time fan of Belfort and just love watching this guy as you know win or lose, you're in for a fight and a good show. Both are good strikers and I'd be surprised if there isn't a KO here. Head says Johnson will make an impact in his middleweight debut. Johnson is younger, more athletic, a better wrestler and equally at home striking. I am going against a long time favourite in Belfort and take the younger guy who will go on to be a title challenge at middleweight.

Ram Man

Juniors
Big news guys....Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson has missed weight by a long way!

Not forgetting he moved up to middleweight to avoid missing weight, he has weighed in at 197lbs, which is 12lbs over the middleweight limit of 185.

Belfort agreed to go through with the fight if Johnson can make it under the light-heavyweight division's 205-pound limit by Saturday morning.

Dana White is not a happy chap!

Ram Man

Juniors
One would think his time in the UFC would be skating on thin ice with him continuely missing weight, especially when he has gone to the next division to avoid this.

He will probably have to destroy Belfort now just to keep his place on the roster....just looking at the faces of Dana White an Lorenzo Fertitta, you could tell they were less than impressed with him...more to follow the fight I suspect.

The post fight presser will be interesting viewing to see what Dana has to say.

Just a side note too, Jose Aldo looked quite drawn out in the face when he weighed in...not sure how much he would have to cut, but he had quite a large amount of water/gatorade after stepping off the scales...but compared to how he looked on Countdown, he looked as though he dropped a lot of weight...keep an eye on his stamina through out the fight...

jc155776

Coach
Aldo is constantly dropping big weights.

It is why any fight with him going the 4th and 5th see him just trying to survive like the Hominick bout where he faded big time.

Johnson, wow.

Ram Man

Juniors
Mendez looked impressive tbh as well, very lean and not drawn out at all....if he pushes the pace he could be a chance of gassing Aldo and getting the strap

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I am all over this Mendes upset. He looks ready. Love this guy. Just an intense, driven, wrestling machine whose stand up continues to improve. Aldo in his third title defence will know he is in a war. If he can hold off the challenger, he damn well has deserved it. Big fan of both. Potentially a classic in the making.

Link to weigh in of Johnson for those who missed it: http://bit.ly/z3ltSu

Jack_Napier

Staff member
12lbs over is just ridiculous. Rumble has has plenty of time to cut. Strikeforce looks in his future with this constant weight issue crap.

Mendes is looking real good but I still think aldo is gonna be to good for him. Love the FW and BW divisions.

Jono078

Referee
Apparently Rumble's manager said he was a couple pounds out from making weight but then he got sick and his doctors injected him with stuff to re-stabilize him and that's the reason for what happened today.

So now it's turned into a light heavyweight fight. He will have to come in under 205 pounds tomorrow or else the fight is off.

shiznit

Coach
IMO the UFC have to seriously look into his camp.

missing his weight THAT badly usually means a miscalculation somewhere in his camp. either way... he's responsible for it.

im thinking maybe he was sick very late in the camp... and wasnt able to cut like he usually does...

if there aren't any special circumstances behind it... rumble should be cut immediately following the fight... thats just pathetic from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts