What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here get into MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiznit

Coach
The other problem with Palhares vs. Maia, which would be unreal as far as Jiu Jitsu is concerned, is how long cam Palhares last in a BJJ battle. The dude is enormous as a middleweight and believe me, battling a high level BJJ practitioner who moves as smoothly as Maia, when you are trying to use a lot of strength will gas you quicker than any stand-up fighting.

I would love to see this battle at ADCC let alone UFC, and some of you guys would be the few real fans who understands the complexity of BJJ and appreciates it, but most of my mates, who dont quite understand BJJ think that any fight that stays on the ground for any longer than 2 mins is boring...most fairweather fans think the same.

Shiz, not sure why he doesnt do it from half guard either, but then again, like other BJJ fighter, I myself quite like it when guys get to my half guard, because I can work sweeps a little better...half guard really isnt that much better than full guard

yeah half guard opens you up for sweeps and leg locks... but a good wrestler with elite top control like Chael Sonnen shouldn't get sweeped from half guard.

the problem i see for Chael is sidemount/control. i think he's every chance of being sweeped from there... which is why i reckon he stays in full guard against good BJJ guys.

Ram Man

Juniors
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/01/17/king-mo-lawal-tests-positive-for-steroid-drostanalone/

Big news guys....King Mo Lawal has tested positive to Performance Enhancing Drugs.

After his most recent win by KO, he tested positive to Drostanalone which can be used as a medication for lowering cholesterol and is sometimes prescribed to cancer patients, but it is also used as a performance-enhancing substance.

It is particularly known as a steroid that athletes and bodybuilders use when they are attempting to maintain strength and muscle mass while cutting weight.

He is the second Strickforce fighter to test positive after Chris Cyborg the promotion's 145-pound female champion, also tested positive for steroids at her most recent fight.

King Mo's victory has been changed to a No Contest and his license has been suspended for a year.

Not a good look for the sport!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
What makes it worse with all the shit mo has been talking recently.

Piss weak, thank god reem got past his recent issues as it really would've done some damage to the sport

Jono078

Referee
That's awesome, should be a better fight.

Shame it's only announced now and there wasn't much time to see all the trash talking.

Ram Man

Juniors
Munoz out injured apparently. Sonnen v Bisping now. Winner gets Silva.

Beat me to it!

Not sure if these 2 are really going to worry Anderson Silva...maybe Sonnen if he uses his wrestling but Silva has caught him before and I dont think he will make the same mistakes he did in the first fight...

As for the fight itself...I think Sonnen by whatever he wants...I love Bisping, I think he is great, but really hasnt done much in the way of setting the world on fire in his last few fights...

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Beat me to it!

Not sure if these 2 are really going to worry Anderson Silva...maybe Sonnen if he uses his wrestling but Silva has caught him before and I dont think he will make the same mistakes he did in the first fight...

As for the fight itself...I think Sonnen by whatever he wants...I love Bisping, I think he is great, but really hasnt done much in the way of setting the world on fire in his last few fights...

I think Sonnen will ground and pound his way to victory in this one. I am a huge fan of Bisping though. I was looking forward to his fight with Maia because it was step up. Now against Sonnen, it is a huge step up.

This fight should be good for Bisping though. Most of his recent fights have been him purely striking. This is a chance to show his takedown defence and BJJ.

Pity Sonnen v Bisping wasn't given a proper lead up. Trash talk would have been epic.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Sonnen will destroy bisping. To strong a wrestler and his relentless attitude will be to much to handle. He's clearly head and shoulders above everyone but silva.

Maia vs paulhares a possibility now?

Mateo Moi Moi

Juniors
Sonnen will destroy bisping. To strong a wrestler and his relentless attitude will be to much to handle. He's clearly head and shoulders above everyone but silva.

I was thinking the same thing. Would love to see that fight purely for the technical aspect of it.

Sonnen is definitely in a league of his own when it comes to wrestling. I was looking forward to seeing how things would have panned out against Munoz though, another wrestler.

I am a Bisping and would love the upset but Silva v Sonnen 2 is just too good not to happen.

shiznit

Coach

Paulahares was offered the fight... but he turned it down...

shiznit

Coach
That's awesome, should be a better fight.

Shame it's only announced now and there wasn't much time to see all the trash talking.

dude... watch the UFC on FOX 2 presser.. they were sitting next to each other taking pot shots at each other.

lol... they got plenty in...

Ram Man

Juniors
I will fly to Brisbane for UFC...cant get enough of Live MMA especially UFC.

Didnt think Palhares would take Maia...like I mentioned before, Maia is a whole different ball game...there are black belts, and then there is Demian Maia (and Palhares for that matter). Usually when you get competitors that have the same solid skill set, they are going to have to win it somewhere else. These 2, their BJJ would cancel each other out (personally I think Maia has the more slick game, but Palhares isnt far behind), so the fight would have to be won on the feet.

Maia's stand-up has greatly improved since he was knocked out by Marquardt in 21 seconds so I think it would be a danger fight for Palhares who is on a tear of his own.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
I think more than anything palhares has to get the mental shit right before he's gonna hit the big boys. As much as I want to see him take on Maia, the moment shit wouldn't go his way he'd just give up. Needs to work on that shit and his stand up like Maia did after his effort against Nate.

Least we all get to see sonnen bisping for free. Stoked by that

Status
Not open for further replies.